Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS Part VII - The Bedrock of the Republic!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power of the SCOTUS Part VII - The Bedrock of the Republic!

Now where were we?

unofan - if the Court won't address/validate that a marriage in Massachusetts is a marriage in Mississippi when it comes to ssm, will that give a loophole to a state that may have a different minimum marriage age to say the Mike and Sally are not married and can Mike be arrested for child endangerment?

To me Solomon's choice is to allow States to regulate marriage as they seem fit but recognize that any legal marriage is a legal marriage in all the States. It's a win/win for all sides.

Otherwise I am afraid that Pandora's box has been opened and every form of marriage will be legal as long as the plaintiffs can make a 14th Amendment case.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS Part VII - The Bedrock of the Republic!

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS Part VI - Roberts rules disorder

Originally posted by unofan

Last up is a takings clause case involving raisins. Roberts writes for the court in a 5-4 split at least in part, this time with the conservatives winning. Can't tell whether parts were 8-1 or not.

Government must compensate owners of personal property just as it does real property.
    80 years later, one of the more egregious excesses of the New Deal is finally reined in, eh?

eh, not so much, after all. a narrow technical ruling. 8 - 1 on the overall concept, 5 - 3 on the practical details on how to implement.

and no "sour grapes", eh?
    Last edited by FreshFish; 06-22-2015, 02:21 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      To me Solomon's choice is to allow States to regulate marriage as they seem fit but recognize that any legal marriage is a legal marriage in all the States. It's a win/win for all sides.
      No it's pointless hypocritical posturing by ****ty bigoted states still desperately clinging to "separate but equal".

Otherwise I am afraid that Pandora's box has been opened and every form of marriage will be legal as long as the plaintiffs can make a 14th Amendment case.
      Do you have a height requirement to ride this ridiculous slippery slope?

Comment

I want to kill Kanye and Kim. They don't want me to. So Solomon's choice is I get to kill, but just Kanye?

(thinks about it)

OK, bad example...

I just don't buy the box turtle argument. The only place I think it gets a little weird is n-partner unions, and that's a fight for 2050. Today, we've gotten to where we can accept that gays and straights shall be equal before the law. There are still plenty of countries that hold on to the "traditional values," if it means that much to somebody.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan
          Others have threatened to pull their state out of the marriage business altogether, otherwise known as the "taking their ball and going home" defense. That might be legal though it would have a flurry of challenges since marriage is recognized as a fundamental right. I also don't believe the political will to actually go through with that exists. Are you really gonna tell millions of people they can't get married out of spite towards the gays?
          Middle class and poor Republicans just spent 30 years screwing their own children out of spite towards the blacks. It is entirely possible.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Now where were we?

unofan - if the Court won't address/validate that a marriage in Massachusetts is a marriage in Mississippi when it comes to ssm, will that give a loophole to a state that may have a different minimum marriage age to say the Mike and Sally are not married and can Mike be arrested for child endangerment?

Pandora's Boxes will be dealt with the by adults who have to pick up the pieces and try to make yet another burst of social engineering work. The folks who push stuff rarely think about such details.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
              Pandora's Boxes will be dealt with the by adults who have to pick up the pieces and try to make yet another burst of social engineering work. The folks who push stuff rarely think about such details.
              I'll say. Look what happened when we let women vote: child labor laws.

The horror. The horror.
              Cornell University

Comment

Yep. They never should have allowed Whitie to marry Blackie.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

And this bothers you? By your own premise, such marriages will only be allowed if they can make a valid 14th Amendment case. If they can, why would you be against it?

Comment

Bob, I'm disappointed in you! Where is the "Next thing you know you'll be able to marry your dog" statement?
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      I'll say. Look what happened when we let women vote: child labor laws.

The horror. The horror.
                      You've tried those unrelated comparisons before (and others). Still not biting.
                      Very well, said.
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Bob, I'm disappointed in you! Where is the "Next thing you know you'll be able to marry your dog" statement?
                        https://republicanfaithchat.files.wo...getmarried.jpg
                        Cornell University

Comment

You've tried those unrelated comparisons before (and others). Still not biting.
                          You not accepting an analogy isn't the same thing as the analogy being false.

Homophobia is just like racism and sexism. It's an iron power relation fist in a velvet religious glove. And just like racism and sexism, when it is overturned legally the people who hold on to it won't magically change their minds. And some of them will pass it on to their kids. But little by little, as the generations pass, it will die out.

And this is a good thing.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            You not accepting an analogy isn't the same thing as the analogy being false.

Homophobia is just like racism and sexism. It's an iron power relation fist in a velvet religious glove. And just like racism and sexism, when it is overturned legally the people who hold on to it won't magically change their minds. And some of them will pass it on to their kids. But little by little, as the generations pass, it will die out.

And this is a good thing.
                            Kep

I am not homophobic. I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Kep

I am not homophobic. I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman.
                              You don't get to define what you are or aren't. They do. Or at least they've convinced themselves that they do. Scare tactics and intimidation work on some people, not on others.
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X