X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey: Summer 2015 on the Stillwater

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
    The University of Maine has no business running a D-1 ice hockey program......it didn't make sense back in the 80s but they struck gold with Shawn Walsh and had a major sugar daddy with Harold Alfond. They are dead and gone.......and soon the ice hockey program will be too.
    That can't happen. I refuse to believe that's a realistic outcome.

Virtually the whole university would have to be shut down for that to happen.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      That can't happen. I refuse to believe that's a realistic outcome.

Virtually the whole university would have to be shut down for that to happen.
      Projected Budget shortfalls are huge. The buildings on campus are falling apart. They don't seem to want to get rid of programs at the smaller campuses. Chancellors office still a huge waste of money with no talk of getting rid of it. Its a mess.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        Speaking of Tim, he is now 14-2-1. I bet he is pleased to be out of Orono. Particularly with all of the challenges facing Maine's program.
        No doubt he's probably sleeping better, his family is much happier and he doesn't have to worry about raising $200,000 a year either.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Projected Budget shortfalls are huge. The buildings on campus are falling apart. They don't seem to want to get rid of programs at the smaller campuses. Chancellors office still a huge waste of money with no talk of getting rid of it. Its a mess.
          What do they expect? They have frozen tuition, the state appropriation has either been stagnant or when it has gone up at all it doesn't keep pace with inflation. Add to the mix ~7% yearly increase in health insurance costs and ~2% increase in salaries and flat or falling enrollment... The system needs major restructuring. There is too much redundancy across all of the campuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
            No doubt he's probably sleeping better, his family is much happier and he doesn't have to worry about raising $200,000 a year either.
            He is responsible for fund raising at Kimball Union. That is part of his job description and was a condition when he was hired.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              What do they expect? They have frozen tuition, the state appropriation has either been stagnant or when it has gone up at all it doesn't keep pace with inflation. Add to the mix ~7% yearly increase in health insurance costs and ~2% increase in salaries and flat or falling enrollment... The system needs major restructuring. There is too much redundancy across all of the campuses.
              Given all his grandfather did for the school, I wonder why Justin Alfond never took up this cause? It's baffling to me that months get spent on nonsense like some politically incorrect comment or hiring a few extra drug enforcement agents while serious issues like this are completely ignored.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Drop Football before Hockey. No one would even notice football was gone.
                When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Given all his grandfather did for the school, I wonder why Justin Alfond never took up this cause? It's baffling to me that months get spent on nonsense like some politically incorrect comment or hiring a few extra drug enforcement agents while serious issues like this are completely ignored.
                  Wait, you expect politicians to concentrate on things that are really important? Seriously???

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac View Post
                    Wait, you expect politicians to concentrate on things that are really important? Seriously???
                    The important stuff is hard, the silly crap is easy. What if they proposed cuts to UMKF, cut some duplicate program that could be had elsewhere, you suppose John Martin will go along? Hardly. Its the same for every campus, whoever the local rep or senator, they are going to fight tooth and nail to keep the program in their area. While the whole thing goes down the tubes.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      If I win powerball I'll endow 20 chairs in computer science and computer engineering and also endow 40 scholarships a year. Screw athletics. hopefully at least some of those kids would stick around and create startups in the state.

Comment

Its been discussed before that the lack of money has affected the hockey program, I agree. Not sure why money is a problem though. A few years ago BDN ran a piece on sports funding at UMO, pretty good as I looked at it again the other day, the hockey program brought in more revenue than it spends, or least in the past. Why has the hockey been funding other sports programs and not used to maintain it healthy and strong? Could be bad sports management I'd say.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/2...orth-the-cost/

I'd also like to know what Learfield sports does for Hockey, and how much money is syphoned to them for bad marketing or whatever their suppose to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          He is responsible for fund raising at Kimball Union. That is part of his job description and was a condition when he was hired.
                          Not as pressure packed to go all out for raising funds and he does not have the Shadow of Shawn Walsh over him as he did @ Maine...which he wouldn't and couldn't handle. He had his time and many/many chances...he's where he should be...the bad move was Maine's slow pace to get people interviewed and ready to go the day they Fired TW. They had no plan and it shows now.

Comment

Originally posted by ma#1ne hky View Post
                            he had his time and many/many chances...he's where he should be...the bad move was maine's slow pace to get people interviewed and ready to go the day they fired tw. They had no plan and it shows now.
                            amen!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              .......the bad move was Maine's slow pace to get people interviewed and ready to go the day they Fired TW. They had no plan and it shows now.
                              Maine got who they wanted. Montgomery was never a legitimate candidate.

Comment

Lol at this drop football idea that won't go away. Do that and Maine will be down to 3 to 5 sports total within a couple years and will cease being a viable division 1 institution. How many womens scholarships become expendable for title 9 purposes when you slice off 50 or 60 football kids? They already dumped volleyball and men's soccer. The notion is a joke.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X