Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Originally posted by Felger View Post
    Could always spend time speculating what this is:
    https://twitter.com/UNHWildcats/stat...292160/photo/1

Personally, hope its to announce the Murray and Felger show, but not getting my hopes up
    Maybe they will announce that the UNH teams will use the Walmart Blue for all uniforms ....... who cares about 100+ years of tradition.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      Retractable dome. On what, I'm not sure. Just feeling it - retractable dome.
      Culture shock ... just when we were getting used to them newfangled light thingies, they drop this on us.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        Retractable dome. On what, I'm not sure. Just feeling it - retractable dome.
        New Jimbotron (done deal?) getting loaded up with post-regular season video clips of highlights from 1998-2003?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          New Jimbotron (done deal?) getting loaded up with post-regular season video clips of highlights from 1998-2003?
          Ahhhhh - the Soviet Media version. "U vill zee vat vee vants u to zee!!"
          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            And the Twitterverse reports that Casey DeSmith has signed an ECHL contract with the Wheeling Nailers...
            DeSmith Signs Pro Contract After NCAA Declines Waiver

Comment

• I really hope that he can finish his UNH business degree somehow. I wonder how many more credits he needs? Too bad that he could not take courses at in-state tuition rates last spring while living at home?

Comment

Hey wildcatdc what's up in your neck of the woods? Surely you will be making a trip to da 'Whitt to check out the new vid boards? Hope all is well with you...😊
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  Including vid clips of new associate head coach, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Hey wildcatdc what's up in your neck of the woods? Surely you will be making a trip to da 'Whitt to check out the new vid boards? Hope all is well with you...😊
                    Hey HR! Well, the two big news nuggets are that Emily and I got engaged, and that we did end up buying our little getaway in the Monadnock region (in Dublin, NH). So, I'm hoping the trips to the Whitt will actually be more often, especially once I'm back from Brazil in 2016.

Hope you're doing well, and I've been enjoying all your forum updates this summer!
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      I really hope that he can finish his UNH business degree somehow. I wonder how many more credits he needs? Too bad that he could not take courses at in-state tuition rates last spring while living at home?
                      Which obviously begs the question ... if he did NOT take courses this past Spring semester at UNH, how much of a priority was he placing on his education to begin with?

“My education was extremely important to me,” he said. “I received five scholarship offers from top-tier Division 1 schools that I desperately wanted to take advantage of.”

It appears he had a decision to make regarding his potential NCAA D-1 future as of 12/1/14, when UNH Hockey told him there would be no returning to the program. But by then, I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) he had been academically cleared to return to UNH, so he could either continue on to pursue his business degree at UNH ... OR begin the transfer process by leaving UNH and enrolling at one of the other schools, where he was still hoping to play D-1 hockey for the upcoming 2015/2016 season. Given the NCAA "4 years eligibility over 5 school calendar years" rule (most often used for redshirt purposes), then 2015/2016 was his last potentially eligible year.

Instead he (apparently) did neither, and sought an NCAA waiver, which was not granted.

In order to transfer, DeSmith needed a waiver from the NCAA. Even though he remained on the sidelines for a period of one year, he was not in residence at another school, which is required as a transfer student-athlete.

Most people, myself included, felt as though it would be an easy decision for the NCAA to grant this waiver” he said. “However, continuing the trend of the previous months, people who do not know me or my situation had no problem declining my waiver, effectively killing any possibility of my finishing my education at this time. Declining my waiver did not help anyone and only hurt me, my family, and the schools I could have attended.”

Looks like he got some bad advice - especially if he decided not to take up residency at the would-be transfer school. Unless of course, he really didn't expect to win his case for the NCAA waiver, and was always leaning towards turning pro? He certainly made the NCAA's ruling MUCH easier by not meeting transfer residency requirements.

I guess the most disappointing part of his comments continue to be those which portray himself as a "victim", which to me sounds a bit like someone who may be weighing civil litigation of some sorts. Unfortunately, despite whatever "facts" he believes are definitive in this sad situation ... had he not rendered himself intoxicated at the time of the events which ultimately led to his UNH downfall, his "facts" (and certainly his semi-conscious account) are more reliable, and *maybe* charges are never leveled against him in the first place?

I really want to cut the kid some slack, and I do hope he makes the most of his ECHL opportunity, and uses this unfortunate experience to learn a hard lesson about being accountable for your actions. Certainly at his age, drinking was not illegal. But doing so to excess makes you vulnerable to all kinds of poor judgment, and even to the worst actions of others. I'm not absolving his accuser(s) of blame for what they did here - they too will have to live with the fact their actions damaged someone else's future employment outlook - but it's difficult to whip up a sincere sense of sympathy for our former goalie. If he is indeed a "victim" here, he was a victim of his own poor judgment, and now also for relying upon the judgment of others who misinformed him about his chances for a successful D-1 transfer. JMHO.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Hey HR! Well, the two big news nuggets are that Emily and I got engaged, and that we did end up buying our little getaway in the Monadnock region (in Dublin, NH). So, I'm hoping the trips to the Whitt will actually be more often, especially once I'm back from Brazil in 2016.

Hope you're doing well, and I've been enjoying all your forum updates this summer!
                        Well big congrats are in order to you amd Emily it was awesome to meet both of you last year!! Yea Dublin is just a wee bit closer to the 'Whitt so looking forward to seeing you both there!! If I have seats avail in the event I can't make some games I will let you know.. Glad I haven't totally annoyed everyone on the board haha with my incessant posts...catch Ya sooner than later!!!
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Which obviously begs the question ... if he did NOT take courses this past Spring semester at UNH, how much of a priority was he placing on his education to begin with?

“My education was extremely important to me,” he said. “I received five scholarship offers from top-tier Division 1 schools that I desperately wanted to take advantage of.”

It appears he had a decision to make regarding his potential NCAA D-1 future as of 12/1/14, when UNH Hockey told him there would be no returning to the program. But by then, I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) he had been academically cleared to return to UNH, so he could either continue on to pursue his business degree at UNH ... OR begin the transfer process by leaving UNH and enrolling at one of the other schools, where he was still hoping to play D-1 hockey for the upcoming 2015/2016 season. Given the NCAA "4 years eligibility over 5 school calendar years" rule (most often used for redshirt purposes), then 2015/2016 was his last potentially eligible year.

Instead he (apparently) did neither, and sought an NCAA waiver, which was not granted.

In order to transfer, DeSmith needed a waiver from the NCAA. Even though he remained on the sidelines for a period of one year, he was not in residence at another school, which is required as a transfer student-athlete.

Most people, myself included, felt as though it would be an easy decision for the NCAA to grant this waiver” he said. “However, continuing the trend of the previous months, people who do not know me or my situation had no problem declining my waiver, effectively killing any possibility of my finishing my education at this time. Declining my waiver did not help anyone and only hurt me, my family, and the schools I could have attended.”

Looks like he got some bad advice - especially if he decided not to take up residency at the would-be transfer school. Unless of course, he really didn't expect to win his case for the NCAA waiver, and was always leaning towards turning pro? He certainly made the NCAA's ruling MUCH easier by not meeting transfer residency requirements.

I guess the most disappointing part of his comments continue to be those which portray himself as a "victim", which to me sounds a bit like someone who may be weighing civil litigation of some sorts. Unfortunately, despite whatever "facts" he believes are definitive in this sad situation ... had he not rendered himself intoxicated at the time of the events which ultimately led to his UNH downfall, his "facts" (and certainly his semi-conscious account) are more reliable, and *maybe* charges are never leveled against him in the first place?

I really want to cut the kid some slack, and I do hope he makes the most of his ECHL opportunity, and uses this unfortunate experience to learn a hard lesson about being accountable for your actions. Certainly at his age, drinking was not illegal. But doing so to excess makes you vulnerable to all kinds of poor judgment, and even to the worst actions of others. I'm not absolving his accuser(s) of blame for what they did here - they too will have to live with the fact their actions damaged someone else's future employment outlook - but it's difficult to whip up a sincere sense of sympathy for our former goalie. If he is indeed a "victim" here, he was a victim of his own poor judgment, and now also for relying upon the judgment of others who misinformed him about his chances for a successful D-1 transfer. JMHO.

Ok, I just have to say that it appears he did not know / was not aware/ not informed/ of the "rules of engagement' about what it might take to get such a waiver. His "situation" I believe had nothing to do with the NCAA ruling (but what do I know) and they did what they did because he was not enrolled in school as they require? I hope he fares well in the pros and that he continues to move on with his life...Continuing to say that others control his fate make it so. (being someone who believes in such things...) Also I understand that the NCAA is extremely stingy with such waivers, and that they aren't granting many (if any) at all. Again, what do I know...hoping to see him between the pipes when the Nailers come to Manchester. Would def make the trip...always want to see our UNH athletes do well in life and he is no exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

As of December 2014 - DeSmith was SOL without an NCAA waiver. The residence rule referred to in the article is the NCAA's "YEAR IN RESIDENCE" rule, meaning that for hockey player to transfer he needs to sit out an entire academic year at his new institution before playing. Even if he had jumped on transferring 12/1/14, no one is taking a senior transfer who can only play the second half of the season...

His only chance was the waiver - and NCAA precedent says he should have been granted the waiver. Xavier's Dez Wells was falsely accused of rape and run off of campus by X and the Musketeers basketball team. He petitioned the NCAA and was able to participate immediately at Maryland due to the false nature of the charges.

DeSmith was kicked off the team and suspended from school because he reportedly beat up his girlfriend (tackling her to the ground and punching her repeatedly was what was reported...). Then, according to this article, the university and legal findings conclude that there is no evidence of physical harm to the victim and eyewitnesses state that no physical altercation occurred...

So assuming this article, and other recent articles, are correct - he shouldn't lose his last year of eligibility because he got overly intoxicated. I have no problem with Umile, UNH or the NCAA's initial stance or actions but why should he continue to be punished for charges that were dropped because of an (apparent) overwhelming evidence that nothing actually happened...??

---

BTW, Nothing in the article says DeSmith did not take classes, in fact the following passage makes it sound as if he did in fact re-enroll for the second semester. I believe it was also mentioned on this board that he did in fact re-enroll.

The board found that DeSmith was not responsible for causing physical harm and was allowed to re-enter the University as a student in good standing the following semester.

So why is he academically short? Well, he would, of course, need to make up the fall semester.

Ref - I would imagine he understood completely the year in residence rule, spoke to the proper people at UNH/Transfer schools and knew that his only chance to play his final year of eligibility, and to complete his missed academic semester, was the NCAA Waiver. As you understand, there is no rhyme or reason to NCAA decisions and they are HARDLY EVER made in the best interest of the student-athlete. So not obtaining a waiver certainly doesn't mean you didn't follow or understand the process...
                            Last edited by Dan; 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              As of December 2014 - DeSmith was SOL without an NCAA waiver. The residence rule referred to in the article is the NCAA's "YEAR IN RESIDENCE" rule, meaning that for hockey player to transfer he needs to sit out an entire academic year at his new institution before playing. Even if he had jumped on transferring 12/1/14, no one is taking a senior transfer who can only play the second half of the season...

His only chance was the waiver - and NCAA precedent says he should have been granted the waiver. Xavier's Dez Wells was falsely accused of rape and run off of campus by X and the Musketeers basketball team. He petitioned the NCAA and was able to participate immediately at Maryland due to the false nature of the charges.

DeSmith was kicked off the team and suspended from school because he reportedly beat up his girlfriend (tackling her to the ground and punching her repeatedly was what was reported...). Then, according to this article, the university and legal findings conclude that there is no evidence of physical harm to the victim and eyewitnesses state that no physical altercation occurred...

So assuming this article, and other recent articles, are correct - he shouldn't lose his last year of eligibility because he got overly intoxicated. I have no problem with Umile, UNH or the NCAA's initial stance or actions but why should he continue to be punished for charges that were dropped because of an (apparent) overwhelming evidence that nothing actually happened...??

---

BTW, Nothing in the article says DeSmith did not take classes, in fact the following passage makes it sound as if he did in fact re-enroll for the second semester. I believe it was also mentioned on this board that he did in fact re-enroll.

The board found that DeSmith was not responsible for causing physical harm and was allowed to re-enter the University as a student in good standing the following semester.

So why is he academically short? Well, he would, of course, need to make up the fall semester.

Ref - I would imagine he understood completely the year in residence rule, spoke to the proper people at UNH/Transfer schools and knew that his only chance to play his final year of eligibility, and to complete his missed academic semester, was the NCAA Waiver. As you understand, there is no rhyme or reason to NCAA decisions and they are HARDLY EVER made in the best interest of the student-athlete. So not obtaining a waiver certainly doesn't mean you didn't follow or understand the process...
                              Dan so appreciate your comments regarding the NCAA stuff...obviously there's alot to be understood here regarding that institution and their handling of such cases. I of course do not know what he knew or did not know regarding the "rules" of the waiver. It's all speculation on any of our parts to assume otherwise. One would expect that would be the case. I meant no disrespect.
                              Trust me I have read NCAA horror stories and know / have heard it's a tough thing for most athletes who apply for one. As I said I read that the NCAA wasn't handing them out anymore...
                              I do wish him well and hope he finds success at the pro level. That being said what is not known is whether or not the NCAA made their decision based on the incident...no one knows that here...and they sure aren't tellin. One more thing, and this came to mind coz I tweeted it earlier (for another reason) and it's The stories you continue to tell become the stories you continue to live... This is one story I am done talking about..
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-27-2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the added perspectives, all. If he completed spring term courses in good standing, perhaps he needs only 4-5 courses to graduate? Many business courses are now offered online, so perhaps he can complete his degree over time. I would think that the degree would be a high priority for him, as he says, and hope that he is not making excuses for not completing the requirements for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X