Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
    The men's hockey schedule has been posted online:
    http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2015-16/schedule
    Takeaways are, first, the weak OOC schedule. Pretty imperative that UNH win a heck of a lot more than the lose in these 12 games and especially those against teams that have a chance of success (Union, St. Lawrence, Michigan St.). Not going to get much in the way of Pairwise Points playing AIC and Bentley. Second thing that gets me is why we are playing two road games vs. Merrimack and Providence. This all started three years ago and we have gone back and forth with two game sets since. I can maybe understand PC since a trip to Providence, especially on a Friday, can be a bear. But Merrimack? They are our closest HE rival in terms of miles so, for the life of me, I cannot think of any logical explanation for this type of scheduling. Finally, the reason we have so many OOC games is because we only play 24 league games. I have thrown this out before but, assuming the league remains with 12 teams, I'd like to see them have two divisions, play three games each inside your division (15 games) and two games in the other division (12) for a total of 27. Then we'd only have 7 OOC games to contend with, not 12. Any thoughts on that?

On Souza, except for Cavanaugh's pronouncement, there is nothing to indicate that Souza is coming to UNH with a deal that he will be the head coach. All this news has come out of Connecticut with the implied rationalization that it is the only reason he would leave.
    Last edited by Greg A; 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
      On Souza, except for Cavanaugh's pronouncement, there is nothing to indicate that Souza is coming to UNH with a deal that he will be the head coach. All this news has come out of Connecticut with the implied rationalization that it is the only reason he would leave.
      I'm sure someone would lie about it publicly.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Well Souza is official

Http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/coaches/Mike_Souza

Now we just need Masonius to qualify, and ...
        So, he didn't qualify.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

Eichel is off to the 23-51 Sabres (worst record in the NHL). Should be a huge boost for them, and the effect on BU is obvious. Still very strong of course.

See ya'. http://stats.csnne.com/nhl/story.asp...f=hea&tm=&src=
          Last edited by snively; 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg A View Post
            Takeaways are, first, the weak OOC schedule. Pretty imperative that UNH win a heck of a lot more than the lose in these 12 games and especially those against teams that have a chance of success (Union, St. Lawrence, Michigan St.). Not going to get much in the way of Pairwise Points playing AIC and Bentley. Second thing that gets me is why we are playing two road games vs. Merrimack and Providence. This all started three years ago and we have gone back and forth with two game sets since. I can maybe understand PC since a trip to Providence, especially on a Friday, can be a bear. But Merrimack? They are our closest HE rival in terms of miles so, for the life of me, I cannot think of any logical explanation for this type of scheduling. Finally, the reason we have so many OOC games is because we only play 24 league games. I have thrown this out before but, assuming the league remains with 12 teams, I'd like to see them have two divisions, play three games each inside your division (15 games) and two games in the other division (12) for a total of 27. Then we'd only have 7 OOC games to contend with, not 12. Any thoughts on that?

My understanding about having two away games scheduled against close by HEA teams is to balance two home games against far away teams, such as NICC. Also, I think that only 22 of our games count as HEA games, with the others against Maine and UVM counting as OOC games. So, NBD, but I agree that we cannot lose many OOC games this season, or we will be SOL at NCAA time because of our weak SOS.
            Last edited by Snively65; 07-01-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post

Have to have 11 home games and 11 away games. Already hosting Notre Dame and Vermont for two, so have to play a pair of road series to balance the home/away numbers. That is why last year, when the Notre Dame and Vermont series were on the road, 'Cats hosted MC and PC for two. If you could play home and homes against the Catamounts and Irish, the situation would be eliminated...

As far as the divisions go, seems pretty simple to me: Maine, New Hampshire, Lowell, Amherst, Vermont and UConn in one division. BC, BU, MC, ND, NU, PC in the other. Though the divisional model feels like a return to the unbalanced schedules of the ECAC years.
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Umm...is it a bad thing that we only have 7 D coming in for next season with the loss of Masonius:

Cleland, Quast, Furgele, Marks, Boyd, Maller, Chanter? One of those having or has had foot issues? Will this create space for Nonis? If I've missed someone my bad..

On another note not related to the Wildcats, are you Bruins fans happy with the acquisition of Jimmy Hayes? I will see him play in the BU/BC charity game this Friday (if he's still on the roster).
                Winnick back to Toronto...Buh Bye Jack.
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  So, he didn't qualify.
                  So if this is the case, and please understand I have zero knowledge of how this all works, he can get into UConn? Did he not sign a NLI or does that not matter if he can't cut the admission muster at UNH? Just looking for some understanding how an athlete can be on track for 3 years and then poof...all gone. And I do know this happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    So if this is the case, and please understand I have zero knowledge of how this all works, he can get into UConn? Did he not sign a NLI or does that not matter if he can't cut the admission muster at UNH? Just looking for some understanding how an athlete can be on track for 3 years and then poof...all gone. And I do know this happens all the time.
                    Assuming that's the case - coaches who, after committing the player, pay little to no attention to his academic pursuits or their University's academic requirements (despite being burned by doing so many times). Need a few more forwards, but UNH is building quite a team of deferrals, academic casualties and character issues...

Bourque - White - Reid
                    Vecchione - Gaudreault?? - Masters

Yandle - O'Neill
                    Masonious - Laleggia
                    Rycek - Kolomaitis

Would love for anyone to show examples of another team where THIS happens - i.e. a program that has lost this much talent, but pushing back elite skaters to cater to average recruits and consistently loses recruits to academic reasons that they should be 100% aware of and understand how to handle (credit hour reqs). Because, I doubt it...
                    Last edited by Dan; 07-01-2015, 06:41 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      I'm sure someone would lie about it publicly.
                      If neither Souza nor Umile are going to call the little weasel on it - and why would they lower themselves to discuss private matters in the public realm - then yeah, why not? It's just the way he's wired, I'm afraid.

Just wonder how the little git would feel if the tables were turned, and other HE coaches started commenting publicly on UConn's inner workings, succession planning, etc.

This is the second bit of meddling the twerp has pulled (the "nephew" thing being the first).

I'm just waiting for a pair of cement skates to show up at his office in Storrs any day now ...
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

This is the second bit of meddling the twerp has pulled (the "nephew" thing being the first).

I'm just waiting for a pair of cement skates to show up at his office in Storrs any day now ...
                        Chuck...Jeff Cox (@Jeffcoxsports) was the ONLY one who reported the nephew thing...and he was the first one to bring up the coach in waiting thing too. I never saw any quotes from Cavanaugh in that piece...just saying.
                        Last edited by FDNY99; 07-02-2015, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Assuming that's the case - coaches who, after committing the player, pay little to no attention to his academic pursuits or their University's academic requirements (despite being burned by doing so many times). Need a few more forwards, but UNH is building quite a team of deferrals, academic casualties and character issues...

Bourque - White - Reid
                          Vecchione - Gaudreault?? - Masters

Yandle - O'Neill
                          Masonious - Laleggia
                          Rycek - Kolomaitis

Would love for anyone to show examples of another team where THIS happens - i.e. a program that has lost this much talent, but pushing back elite skaters to cater to average recruits and consistently loses recruits to academic reasons that they should be 100% aware of and understand how to handle (credit hour reqs). Because, I doubt it...
                          I think that your summary is very telling about our recent woes, Dan. You mean Johnny Hockey Gaudreau, not Gaudreault, right?

HRef, the two-year foreign (second) language requirement at UNH apparently has been one of the admission obstacles. Do any students still take Latin in high school? :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            I think that your summary is very telling about our recent woes, Dan. You mean Johnny Hockey Gaudreau, not Gaudreault, right?

HRef, the two-year foreign (second) language requirement at UNH apparently has been one of the admission obstacles. Do any students still take Latin in high school? :-)
                            Ha hubby took Latin all 4 years in HS..few schools offer it. Guess we will move on and wish him all the best. We will never know what went down (most likely) and I wasn't intending on pointing fingers with my initial inquiry and certainly no bad will towards the player. Moving on...onward 'Cats!!

Comment

Dan Winnik just traded back to the Leafs, to rejoin JvR and Trevor Smith, or NHL-UNH-North. I know that many here do not like players who leave UNH early for the pro's, but I am ok that.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 07-04-2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Umm...is it a bad thing that we only have 7 D coming in for next season with the loss of Masonius:

Cleland, Quast, Furgele, Marks, Boyd, Maller, Chanter? One of those having or has had foot issues? Will this create space for Nonis? If I've missed someone my bad..

On another note not related to the Wildcats, are you Bruins fans happy with the acquisition of Jimmy Hayes? I will see him play in the BU/BC charity game this Friday (if he's still on the roster).
                                Winnick back to Toronto...Buh Bye Jack.
                                I think that Jimmy Hayes is the smallest factor in this trade. He is a 3rd/4th liner, but a good story/hometown kid. The reason this deal is huge success is the clearing of cap space. Clearly that was the Bruins goal this offseason. Smith was overpaid for what he was and they were able to move the Savard contract which had been hanging over their heads for years, really hindering their ability to sign free agents.

After Hamilton signed nearly an identical deal to what the B's were offering him it seems pretty clear that he didn't want to be in Boston and the return they got for him was better than what they would have gotten if he had made it to RFA. The return for Lucic was incredible because he only has 1 year left on his deal. 2 first round picks and a solid prospect is more than I expected was possible to get for him. Beleskey signing was great as well, there was talk that someone was really going to overpay for him. But he actually signed with the Bruins for less than Anaheim was offering him. And he fits in nicely in Lucic's spot (and for 2 Million per year cheaper). And now with this trade I definitely think Sweeney has a plan and has done a nice job in execution so far this offseason. The Bruins definitely need help on defense now, at least 1 solid top 4 defenseman. And there's still some question on who is going to backup Rask now that Svedberg is gone. But with these moves they have cleared plenty of cap space to be able to bring in some solid players to fill those needs. So I imagine that there are still a couple important moves to be made over the next couple weeks but so far I am pretty happy with what they have done.

Comment

Working...
                                X