X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Seattle! Seattle! Seattle!
    Any sports team that needs a yearly infusion of taxpayer cash needs to move.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: NHL 2015, Part 3: Stanley Cup and Offseason

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      The arena deal costs $15 million (payments to Glendale from the Coyotes bring the cost down to a bit less than $9 million).

The bone of contention is that a former city employee, while still on the Glendale payrol,l was working for the Coyotes. Under AZ law a contract can be voided under these circumstances.

The only people to make money off this will be the lawyers
      Here's the Cliff/Coles Notes on the dustup in the desert.

This is far from over.

Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        How did the Hawks win that game?

The Lightning were faster and had a superior tactical game plan.

Quenneville has to come up with some way to beat the zone press. Neither Plan A, to outskate them, nor Plan B, toss the puck high in the air down the ice and get there first, are working.
        Not sure it's game planning as much as having 4 fatigued Dmen and 2 bad ones who sit on the bench for 15 mins and have cement legs.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
          Here's the Cliff/Coles Notes on the dustup in the desert.

This is far from over.

Sad what a train wreck this franchise has been since coming to Arizona and it just gets crazier. It really seemed things were settling down after the 15 year deal was signed. This, if possible, makes Glendale look even worse than everything they've done to date. Apparently Glendale barely even let the Coyotes know about this meeting. Thanks Glendale for building a hockey arena where one never should have been built and then harassing our hockey team into very possibly leaving town. Sometimes you really do reap what you sow. Unfortunately many folks in Glendale who had nothing to do with this will pay for this fiasco one way or the other for many years, including possibly paying out in a judgment I'd think the Coyotes have a good chance of winning. The only sliver of hope I see in this as an Arizona hockey fan is the slight possibility something could be worked out to move the team back downtown or into an arena that could get built on the Salt River Pima Reservation or maybe in coordination somehow with the Suns desire for a new arena (maybe redo the Suns current arena for the Yotes?).
          Originally posted by Priceless
          Good to see you're so reasonable.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
          Very well, said.
          Originally posted by Rover
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
            Sad what a train wreck this franchise has been since coming to Arizona and it just gets crazier. It really seemed things were settling down after the 15 year deal was signed. This, if possible, makes Glendale look even worse than everything they've done to date. Apparently Glendale barely even let the Coyotes know about this meeting. Thanks Glendale for building a hockey arena where one never should have been built and then harassing our hockey team into very possibly leaving town. Sometimes you really do reap what you sow. Unfortunately many folks in Glendale who had nothing to do with this will pay for this fiasco one way or the other for many years, including possibly paying out in a judgment I'd think the Coyotes have a good chance of winning. The only sliver of hope I see in this as an Arizona hockey fan is the slight possibility something could be worked out to move the team back downtown or into an arena that could get built on the Salt River Pima Reservation or maybe in coordination somehow with the Suns desire for a new arena (maybe redo the Suns current arena for the Yotes?).
            Nice to have someone in the area who kinda understands the dynamics of the situation instead of "HURRRR HOCKEY IN DESERT NO WORK!".

Everything I've heard from fans of the team say the same thing, having an arena in Glendale rather than downtown is a huge issue in terms of traffic and commuting etc. That and consistently having a terrible team will result in bad attendance and lack of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              Nice to have someone in the area who kinda understands the dynamics of the situation instead of "HURRRR HOCKEY IN DESERT NO WORK!".

Everything I've heard from fans of the team say the same thing, having an arena in Glendale rather than downtown is a huge issue in terms of traffic and commuting etc. That and consistently having a terrible team will result in bad attendance and lack of interest.
              Glendale was desperate for many years to get on the map and they decided luring pro sports teams was the way to do it, pretty much regardless of cost. Things worked out well with the Arizona Cardinals relocating to Glendale, but the NFL is popular enough that it's ok to stick the stadium way on one side of the metro area (plus games are sundays when traffic is way easier). Hockey doesn't have as much margin for error, and sticking the arena in Glendale was always a loser to most folks who didn't have a dog in the fight. Moving the Coyotes to Glendale cut out the entire east side of Phoenix, including Scottsdale, Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, etc. from easily attending, as you'd have to fight rush hour traffic for an hour plus to go to a game if you live on the east side. But, Glendale wanted them so bad they didn't pay attention to such obvious facts and it's been a mess ever since.

I'm not going to say Phoenix is a great hockey town, but it's growing (and ASU going D1 can only further boost the local market!) and with a well run club and a good arena location, they would be ok. Sadly, I doubt that will ever be tested.

Glendale using the loophole also sounds dicey from what I've read and heard locally today.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I was right about the kid. If I'm a Lightning fan, I pay someone to club Ben Bishop's leg to make sure he doesn't return this year.

I don't know what to think anymore, except that the Lightning are a fantastic and confident hockey team right now. Just gotta hope the Hawks "been there, done that" grit and experience somehow trumps speed and skill.
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  I was right about the kid. If I'm a Lightning fan, I pay someone to club Ben Bishop's leg to make sure he doesn't return this year.

I don't know what to think anymore, except that the Lightning are a fantastic and confident hockey team right now. Just gotta hope the Hawks "been there, done that" grit and experience somehow trumps speed and skill.
                  In all reality this thing could be over. Bolts have been the better team in all 4 games in my opinion. But as we know hockey doesn't work that way with a hot goalie and all.
                  Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Seattle watchful as Ariz. city cancels lease with NHL's Coyotes

Comment

Gawd, I would have thought the net would have come off after that.
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

What the hell was THAT, Bishop??

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Gawd, I would have thought the net would have come off after that.
                          You'd think it should move with that much force just for safety reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                            You'd think it should move with that much force just for safety reasons.
                            My thoughts exactly.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Both goalies are a mess handling the puck tonight.
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

8 minutes, no whistles

Comment

Working...
                                X