X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2015, Part 3: Stanley Cup and Offseason

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
    Sharp will be gone next year. The remaining 6 plus Crawford is still a pretty dang good team to have. They won't be going away anytime soon.
    Saad, Seabrook, and Teravainen all return as well, no?

I believe Seabrook is a free agent but I can't see the 'Hawks letting him go elsewhere.

While I don't believe in a home-town "discount," I also do not dismiss the total possible payroll package that includes endorsement deals. Seabrook could make more money overall by staying with the 'Hawks with a lower salary than he could elsewhere. Chicago companies love to hire sports heroes as endorsers, perhaps more so than in any other city.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Saad, Seabrook, and Teravainen all return as well, no?

I believe Seabrook is a free agent but I can't see the 'Hawks letting him go elsewhere.

While I don't believe in a home-town "discount," I also do not dismiss the total possible payroll package that includes endorsement deals. Seabrook could make more money overall by staying with the 'Hawks with a lower salary than he could elsewhere. Chicago companies love to hire sports heroes as endorsers, perhaps more so than in any other city.
      http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/CHI?year=2016

He's not a free agent but they're likely gonna need to make some trades to navigate the cap situation.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Are you trying to tell me that Toews' home town ISN'T Grand Forks? I'd have never guessed...

Nodaks don't deny that he has some ties to Winnipeg. And sure, he had birth parents. But we all know where the seed of greatness was planted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
          The greatest single intangible in the NHL will always be staying healthy: http://www.mangameslost.com/the-most...9-2010-season/
          Correct. And that intangible exists at all levels of sport.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            ... I get to go swag shopping next week when I'm down there for a U2 concert.
            I'll back in Chicago for quick visit near the end of July. Leave a couple of items for me.

Winning every other year is probably optimal for merchandise sales. The disappointment of 2014 will help fuel the feeding frenzy of 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              What the 'Hawks have done over the past seven or eight years is remarkable, truly impressive.

Only a linguistic purist would quibble over the use of the word "dynasty." It seems a bit premature to use it yet, 3 championships over 6 years means that they are very close, but if the word is going to remain indicative of something historically rare and special, then I'd love to see 4 out of 7. Of course, change one fluke bounce last year in Game 7 OT loss to Kings, and 4 out of 6 would remove all doubt as well.

From the collective wisdom of crowds commonly known as Wikipedia:

Original sources for items cited below:

NHL website, Hockey Hall of Fame website.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25435
              http://www.hhof.com/htmltimecapsule/dyntm00.shtml
              From one linguistic purist to another, let me say you quibble very well.

Appreciate your research. I was going to look this stuff up, but you saved me trouble.

Overall, I agree that the label doesn't ultimately matter. But it is a reasonable off-season topic, and we now find ourselves in the off-season.

Comment

God I hate the ****ing Blackhawks. They won, they're great, there's no denying that. But oh my god do I hate them.
                RPI Pep Band
                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                  god i hate the ****ing blackhawks. They won, they're great, there's no denying that. But oh my god do i hate them.

Are you a Cardinals fan too?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Are you a Cardinals fan too?
                    We prefer #BestHackersInBaseball, but yes.
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

God I hate the ****ing Blackhawks. They won, they're great, there's no denying that. But oh my god do I hate them.
                      Fortunately for you, the Ohio State Buckeyes are the reigning champions of college football.

That makes you feel much better, correct?

Comment

Me too. But I can't hate their players. Well, except Crawford.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

This is how you like to see the women celebrate.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRcZJy8g-9c
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Are you trying to tell me that Toews' home town ISN'T Grand Forks? I'd have never guessed...

The two gold medals are a dead giveaway.
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

For Trixie and racial unity...

http://wgntv.com/2015/06/16/this-man...st-weve-heard/

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                From one linguistic purist to another, let me say you quibble very well.

Appreciate your research. I was going to look this stuff up, but you saved me trouble.

Overall, I agree that the label doesn't ultimately matter. But it is a reasonable off-season topic, and we now find ourselves in the off-season.
                                I was a bit surprised that NHL / Hockey Hall of Fame actually had listed out their "official" dynasties....

I guess that makes them the ultimate arbiter for hockey, eh?
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X