Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First College Hockey Game Attended

Originally posted by jimbaran View Post
    Colgate-LSSU at Starr Arena in Hamilton, NY on March 24, 1990 - Game 2 of NCAA Quarterfinals

Followed by my first Frozen Four at the Joe one week later. Those two weekends were enough for me to catch the college hockey bug.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      11/29/1968 - New Brunswick vs. BU at the old Walpole Arena. It was the night after Thanksgiving. It may be hard to believe now, but that was the season opener. BU skated them out of the tub.

Now that I think about it, I think BU played Clarkson at the old Braintree Arena late in the 1969-70 season. Why they played at the that venue, I don't know. Perhaps, Sean can confirm or contradict my memory as to venue and date. I know Bruce Bullock was in goal for the Golden Knights.
      BU played Clarkson at Four Seasons Arena, Walpole, on 5 March 1970. It was the last game of regular season and BU won, 6-2. Clarkson got revenge in the ECAC semifinals 8 days later when they beat BU, 5-4, at the Garden. That was the last of six games BU played at Four Seasons Arena between 1964 and 1970. They never lost at the rink, going 5-0-1 and outscoring their opponents 38-10. Clarkson was the only DI team they played there; 4 of the other games were against Canadian schools (three vs New Brunswick, all season openers, and one vs. Loyola of Montreal) and the other one was vs. the Eastern Olympics.

Sean
      Last edited by Sean Pickett; 06-10-2015, 10:46 AM.
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

IIRC, my first game would have been 12/6/1960. Northeastern vs BU at the then-Boston Arena, which was home ice for both teams at the time. NU won, 5-1.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

February 21, 1976. Michigan State @ Notre Dame. My oldest sister was a student manager for the MSU hockey team. She came down with the team and took me to the game. We lived just over the state line from Notre Dame, about 10 miles from campus to the northeast, and since I was about 4 years old I had been rooting for the Irish.

A number of things about the weekend, the day and the game still stand out in my mind. Notre Dame won the game 5-2, a testy, chippy contest with the Irish taking a big lead into the third period. Lots of scuffles and while memory says an actual fight a later look at the official box showed no fighting majors but 7 roughing minors and 2 roughing double-minors.

During Notre Dame's final season at the old Joyce Center I had the patriarch of Notre Dame hockey, coach Lefty Smith, autograph a copy of the game article that appeared in the next day's South Bend Tribune. Remarkably, 35 years later he had memories of both the game and the Tribune sportswriter who penned the article. I remembered a lot because it was a milestone in my life. After a couple of descriptive prompts that he remembered what was just one of nearly 700 games he coached at Notre Dame was astonishing to me.

Comment

Friday February 15, 2002, UAA @ SCSU. Anchorage scored two in the first period, SCSU scored seven in the second period, UAA scored two in the third, so amazingly eleven goals were scored in the game, and all of them were at the opposite end of where the student section sits.

Interestingly enough, Mark Hartigan set a team record by scoring 4 goals in a period, including 3 straight goals (NHLer Matt Hendricks had the primary assist on all three), scoring a PPG, a SHG, an even strength goal and the GWG.
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

First college hockey game I ever saw was Wisconsin @ St. Cloud State sometime in the mid 1990s. My whole family was from Wisconsin so obviously that was my rooting interest even though I lived near St. Cloud in Sartell. Ended up moving to Michigan and finally ended up in Ohio before going to Miami University where my love for college hockey grew to a level I never expected.
              2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Started in fall of 1958 watching BU at boston Arena
                Bob Marquis was the highlight performer but with only 6 NHL teams
                few college players advanced
                Went to many away game while still a student
                One nugget- At Providence during periods could go from Providence Arena to
                the Penalty Box bar nest door between periods.
                during one intermission arrived at bar and BU coach was seated there before me

Comment

For an offseason thread, this one is turning out pretty good. Nice stories, guys!

Comment

My dad took me to a game or two in my younger days, but I remember nothing of them. So I'll count RIT at Clarkson, October 1986. Walker was a great place to watch a game - if you were cheering for the home team!
                    Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                    Clarkson 1990

Comment

My first hockey game of any sort was my freshman year at Michigan. I think it was January 2001 vs. LSSU (may have been Feb. vs. NMU...was definitely some UP school I had never heard of).

I'm a Marylander and didn't like hockey (or so I thought). My brother who attended UM for 4 years before I did had been to a few games, but commited his money for season student tickets to football and basketball. He had told me hockey was fun, but my knowledge of hockey was people skate around and try to shoot a 'puck' into a goal, past a goalie, whatever. My brother had tried to get me to watch NHL games on tv, but they were boring to a teenage girl.

At some point during winter term freshman year someone in the hockey band needed a sub, so I went and played with the hockey band. The atmosphere at Yost was amazing. I don't remember too many details of the game, because it was a slightly overwhelming new world opening up before me. Even without understanding many of the rules I enjoyed it and wanted to learn more. I subbed again that year because going with friends and for free seemed to me the best way to watch hockey.

The following year I joined the hockey band (and stayed for the next 3 years). I had a friend in the band that was patient enough to explain icing, offsides and other rules to me which grew my love of hockey to beyond Michigan and the atmosphere of the college game.

It's amazing to think how different my life has become from the result of one decision to attend one game. I've made friends on this message board, I've become addicted to a sport I knew little about, career decisions have been influenced (a job in Ottumwa Iowa was partially ruled out because the closest college hockey was a 4 hour drive to Omaha), and a goal of visiting every D1 rink has been added to my bucket list.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

1966 at McHugh Forum.
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

My first would have been at RPI Field house in the late 60's. Probably a JV game with free entry and all the game pucks we could run down.

Comment

Opening night at the Tsongas Arena, January 1998.

Comment

The first college hockey game I went to, it was more to see a family member play in America's Pep Band than to see the game itself, in Hamden 2009 to watch the visiting team. The game however was far better than I expected and I became hooked (no 2 minute penalty though) and I've been to quite a few since then.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

My first game was UMaine at the Cumberland County Civic Center. I don't know the year or the opponent, but it was in between 1999 and 2005.
                                Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                                X