X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Grinding 6: I'm So Over This.

Continue.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: Gear Grinding 6: I'm So Over This.

The *ing time sheet system at this firm. I've been here for 7 weeks now and I still struggle with it. They use the same base software as 3 other firms I've worked at. I know they need more complexity and control than others due to parts of this firm doing so much government work, but this is so *ed up it's unbelievable. A project code I successfully charged to last week is now triggering an alert because I'm supposedly not authorized to bill to it. I'm the one doing 90% of this project. Just me and the PM. Changing or correcting something is so god * convoluted it's ridiculous.

Comment

This morning at 4AM MDT, the clock alarm went off in the room next to me.

Unfortunately, the room was vacant and the alarm rang (loudly) for a good 20 minutes. Somebody tried calling the room, but no answer.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Subscribed because the manual way of subscribing grinds my gears.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          The *ing time sheet system at this firm. I've been here for 7 weeks now and I still struggle with it. They use the same base software as 3 other firms I've worked at. I know they need more complexity and control than others due to parts of this firm doing so much government work, but this is so *ed up it's unbelievable. A project code I successfully charged to last week is now triggering an alert because I'm supposedly not authorized to bill to it. I'm the one doing 90% of this project. Just me and the PM. Changing or correcting something is so god * convoluted it's ridiculous.
          Deltek Vision? Had similar happen with a project I was on, only after alerting me that I was not authorized to bill to the project, it let me anyway.

Did that for over two months because I was on a carryover project until my new one started.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working a project that's required a week's worth of SIT testing and that testing has been split between me and a guy who starts earlier in the morning. He tells me that he gets in between 6:00 and 7:00. We had to mimic the production environment's timings for this overnight test I began yesterday, and the one process kicks off at 6:00AM using data loaded the evening prior. What happens today? I get in to see an email reporting on the overnight process at 5:58AM. And the tables were wiped so he could have a clean slate for his testing today. So all of my testing from yesterday afternoon was killed because, as he said to me, "I wanted to get an early jump on things becuase I'm worried about getting my tests done on time." Thanks, dude..
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Not every conversation or question about a project requires a meeting. Sometimes, one person can just ask another person a question or tell them something.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Deltek Vision? Had similar happen with a project I was on, only after alerting me that I was not authorized to bill to the project, it let me anyway.

Did that for over two months because I was on a carryover project until my new one started.
                Yep, that one. Worked great at two previous firms and OK at the other. This company has it so mangled it's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  Not every conversation or question about a project requires a meeting. Sometimes, one person can just ask another person a question or tell them something.
                  I'm in the same boat with this one. Had a meeting a couple weeks ago to lay out what a different department needed to complete before we moved forward on a video project. Just got a notice that they completed the work but now want to meet about it. Should last two seconds but will undoubtedly be at least half an hour reiterating everything we covered in the first meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Working a project that's required a week's worth of SIT testing and that testing has been split between me and a guy who starts earlier in the morning. He tells me that he gets in between 6:00 and 7:00. We had to mimic the production environment's timings for this overnight test I began yesterday, and the one process kicks off at 6:00AM using data loaded the evening prior. What happens today? I get in to see an email reporting on the overnight process at 5:58AM. And the tables were wiped so he could have a clean slate for his testing today. So all of my testing from yesterday afternoon was killed because, as he said to me, "I wanted to get an early jump on things becuase I'm worried about getting my tests done on time." Thanks, dude..
                    We had a tech like this at my work once. Once.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      This. A thousand times this.

Also, when "quick status meetings" turn into hour-long reviews of every open task item. We're supposed to be following Agile!

Comment

Dear people who post 40,000 selfies a day: your phone should be forcibly removed from you, turned sideways, and shoved straight up your candy ***.

And if you own a selfie stick: that should also be removed from you, and you should be beaten to death with it.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          Dear people who post 40,000 selfies a day: your phone should be forcibly removed from you, turned sideways, and shoved straight up your candy ***.

And if you own a selfie stick: that should also be removed from you, and you should be beaten to death with it.
                          Too bad the Twilight Zone or Night Gallery are no longer being produced.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

Yeah, pretty much. As a skier and hiker, I would like to extend this to the set of narcissists who think they're the sh*t because they photographed/videoed themselves marginally negotiating a famous run at a major western resort ("I dropped Corbett's, I'm an expert, b1tch!"), or hiked for X number of miles at a big National Park. Those of you who have been there, know what I'm talking about.

Breckenridge: "I licked the Devil's Crotch" Nah, according to your video, you're just good at side-slipping. "I survived Angel's Landing"...yeah, we know...you and umpteen thousand others managed to cross those iron ropes.

Comment

The same people who are taking 40,000 selfies a day are also claiming that they're bored. I've suggested they put the phone down and go outside, but no one's listening.

Comment

Working...
                              X