Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 6: I'm So Over This.

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    D*mn software "updates." No change in functionality whatsoever, all they did is move stuff around.

So nothing is where it used to be, and meanwhile the new layout is opaque, not intuitively clear at all.

So I go to "Help" menu, type in my question, and I get directed to a video. I don't need no d*mn video, I just need a few keystrokes!

(I ranted about this to a tech-savvy friend who told me that my "problem" is that I still use a mouse and a keyboard, they are laying the groundwork for when everyone only has touch screens....)
    Being in the field myself, we do some tech writing with our applications, but we find most of the time that people don't RTFM, or need to be walked through things step by step. Hence, videos.

Comment

The phrase "DIY" when referring to food. It's called a RECIPE. We didn't need an acronym for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
        The phrase "DIY" when referring to food. It's called a RECIPE. We didn't need an acronym for it.
        While we're at it, just what is "artisan" food anyway?
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          I'm the same way with "life hacks" and such. The use of the word hack - outside of actual computer hacking - has got to stup. These things are tips and good advice, they're not "hacks."
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I'm the same way with "life hacks" and such. The use of the word hack - outside of actual computer hacking - has got to stup. These things are tips and good advice, they're not "hacks."
            agreed. "life hack" is very annoying.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Comment

And anything "curated." The iTunes playlist and the beer menu at the bar do not merit exhibit space in the Smithsonian.
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                While we're at it, just what is "artisan" food anyway?
                The use of "artisan" isn't regulated at all, so it means the manufacturer wants to make it seem like a little old person in a foreign country made the product by hand, when in fact, it was mass produced by machines. If something is really "artisan"... it doesn't need to say it on the package.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                  The use of "artisan" isn't regulated at all, so it means the manufacturer wants to make it seem like a little old person in a foreign country made the product by hand, when in fact, it was mass produced by machines. If something is really "artisan"... it doesn't need to say it on the package.
                  If it's artisan, there is no package.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

We ask for one or two pilot users in each production team to rollout an app upgrade and one manager sends back her entire department as pilot users. An email exchange ensues, and then phone calls. Finally she understands that a pilot user program is defeated when the entire department is listed as pilot users. I have a headache now.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

We ask for one or two pilot users in each production team to rollout an app upgrade and one manager sends back her entire department as pilot users. An email exchange ensues, and then phone calls. Finally she understands that a pilot user program is defeated when the entire department is listed as pilot users. I have a headache now.
                      Just had that happen for a customer who requested training on a process, and we asked her to provide a "small list" of attendees. She sent over about 40 names/emails - that is not a "small list".

Comment

My biggest gear grinding is the 11th hour requests that management makes... We have the agile process for a reason.

Comment

I bought a water proof Olympus camera for my recent trip to Hawaii. It was a factory refurbished unit bought at the tent sale from the top local camera retailer (National Camera for the locals), I bought the retailers extended warranty since the factory warranty on refurbished is only 90 days. While snorkeling at less than 10' of depth, it shut down and won't turn back on. Swapped batteries, put it on the charger, etc., nothing. When I had loaded the Olympus software that came with it, the option came up to register it with Olympus so I did so. I took it back to National Camera yesterday, had I not registered it, they would have just swapped it out then and there for me. By doing the correct thing (registering it with the factory), I shot myself in the foot. Now I have to wait as it gets sent back, maybe "refurbished" again and maybe returned to me.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            My biggest gear grinding is the 11th hour requests that management makes... We have the agile process for a reason.
                            Our motto was "We never met a requirement that we didn't change."
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

When someone prefaces a statement with "as you know." If you know I know it already then why say it in the first place?

oh, right, it's your smarmy version of a passive-aggressive put-down. Got it!
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I officiate high school football here in IL. Every year, officials in all sports must log onto IHSA.org and watch a video regarding rules and policy changes for the upcoming season. Yesterday I watched the rules video, but the pop-up blocker on my Surface prevented me from receiving credit for seeing the video. My bad on that I guess. Went in and thought I allowed IHSA.org to have pop-ups.

Well, just watched the rules video again, and again, I was denied credit

At 35 minutes long, this isn't a quick deal. Went through and re-allowed the appropriate webpage on the pop-up blocker a 2nd time. Crap better work this time, or heads are gonna roll
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X