This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Common Core math. Similar things have happened to my kids. I can't help them with homework any more, because I don't know how to get the proper wrong answer. When I teach them how to do math accurately, they get marked down. Also, nobody has ever been able to explain to me the difference between a "ballpark estimate" and an "estimate." (This is an actual Common Core concept.)
    Didn't we call that "partial credit" in college?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Gear Grinding 6: I'm So Over This.

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Common Core math. Similar things have happened to my kids. I can't help them with homework any more, because I don't know how to get the proper wrong answer. When I teach them how to do math accurately, they get marked down. Also, nobody has ever been able to explain to me the difference between a "ballpark estimate" and an "estimate." (This is an actual Common Core concept.)
      WHAT THE EFF IS WRONG WITH EDUCATORS AND THEIR COMMON CORE?! The above example is probably the worse thing I've seen on the subject. Holy crap, we are indeed living in the movie "Idiocracy."
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Common Core as a concept I really like. It's actually a lot of the same concepts that are used when you do mental math - for instance, to add 275 to something, add three hundreds, subtract three tens, then add five ones. Or add three hundreds and take away one 25. Actually not a bad way to teach it.

What I don't like about it is: 1) it still teaches kids that there's one right way to do everything, the Common Core way or bust, which is a horrendously wrong thing to do, and 2) it contributes nothing toward some of the more pertinent problems in education such as the overemphasis on standardized testing/teaching to the test.

Every kid learns different. I speak as one of the "gifted" kids growing up.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I don't think that question is as dumb as it seems. Knowing how to estimate is a useful skill. It's entirely possible that the purpose of the lesson was to teach how to make estimates and the approach the teacher was trying to teach as to round the number 103 to 100, then subtract and the student wasn't paying attention. Once you've got the hang of that, you can move on to more difficult problems, for example “There is a rectangular room that is 9 feet 3 inches on one side and 9 feet 7 inches on the other side. Is 90 square feet a reasonable estimate for the area of the room?”

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
            I don't think that question is as dumb as it seems. Knowing how to estimate is a useful skill. It's entirely possible that the purpose of the lesson was to teach how to make estimates and the approach the teacher was trying to teach as to round the number 103 to 100, then subtract and the student wasn't paying attention. Once you've got the hang of that, you can move on to more difficult problems, for example “There is a rectangular room that is 9 feet 3 inches on one side and 9 feet 7 inches on the other side. Is 90 square feet a reasonable estimate for the area of the room?”
            From what I've gathered, the point of Common Core isn't to teach you HOW to do the math. It's to teach you to understand why the math works like it does before you learn how to do it. Any kid can memorize that 4-2=2. It's another thing to understand that the difference between 4 and 2 is 2, what that means, and that that's how subtraction works. Hence all the number line and drawing gobbledygook.

I think the problem here is that they don't make it clear that they want the student to use his estimating skills. If the problem mentioned that, I'd go "Oh! A hundred and some minus almost thirty equals seventy some...close enough for government work." Or heaven forbid a teacher actually TEACH and say "Hey! You can estimate here, it's okay. You don't always have to be exact in everything on problems like these."

Welcome to "fuzzy math" (c) Dubya.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

And the major problem with these BS complaints online is if the parent took the time they took to post a photo and a long winded rant online and instead talked to the teacher they would actually understand what was going on.

That's the major problem.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                And the major problem with these BS complaints online is if the parent took the time they took to post a photo and a long winded rant online and instead talked to the teacher they would actually understand what was going on.

I"d say it's pretty likely the teacher got an earful on this one.
                Go back and read the wording of the question and tell me the kid was "wrong." The major problem is the kids are never clear on what's expected of them, the actual answer or one that's just the right amount of wrong to be "correct" by the manual. I suspect the teachers don't even know half the time. As a fairly intelligent parent who has dealt with this stuff, trust me, common core math is a hot mess of wrong. The kids are trying to unlearn all this crap once they get to high school.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  From what I've gathered, the point of Common Core isn't to teach you HOW to do the math. It's to teach you to understand why the math works like it does before you learn how to do it. Any kid can memorize that 4-2=2. It's another thing to understand that the difference between 4 and 2 is 2, what that means, and that that's how subtraction works. Hence all the number line and drawing gobbledygook.

I think the problem here is that they don't make it clear that they want the student to use his estimating skills. If the problem mentioned that, I'd go "Oh! A hundred and some minus almost thirty equals seventy some...close enough for government work." Or heaven forbid a teacher actually TEACH and say "Hey! You can estimate here, it's okay. You don't always have to be exact in everything on problems like these."

Thanks. Agree.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Something makes me think that these folks are more at home ranting online than they are trying to discuss things rationally or listening. Though that doesn't excuse the poorly worded question (more below).

I"d say it's pretty likely the teacher got an earful on this one.
                  Go back and read the wording of the question and tell me the kid was "wrong." The major problem is the kids are never clear on what's expected of them, the actual answer or one that's just the right amount of wrong to be "correct" by the manual. I suspect the teachers don't even know half the time. As a fairly intelligent parent who has dealt with this stuff, trust me, common core math is a hot mess of wrong. The kids are trying to unlearn all this crap once they get to high school.
                  Fair point. I did re-read the question, more carefully this time, and I do think it's a dumb question. It's ambiguous and poorly stated. The actual calculated answer should never be “unreasonable”; though it might sometimes be unreasonable, impractical, or even impossible to actually calculate the answer (that's why we estimate). But I'll also say that there's a lot of context missing, like what were the previous eight questions and what were the teacher's instructions prior to the test. None of that can make the question in the post a good question, but it might cast light on whether the vehemence of the comments was justified.

I'll also note that (a) I think estimation is a good skill to have and is worth teaching (though I think it's a fair discussion as to when [what age level] to teach it and how to teach it) and (b) even a good concept can be taught poorly. I'm not arguing that Common Core is good or bad, or the teaching in geezer's or the school district in the posting is good or bad.

Comment

To be honest, the biggest problem is that geezer's kids are sub-par in teacher attentiveness and I have to deal with the fallout at home when they don't remember what they're supposed to be doing and I never learned the methods so I'm no help at all. But sometimes it feels better to blame the feds.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I'm really hoping that Common Core Math has been on by the next big thing by the time I have a kid in school.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

This old chestnut, just because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA

Common Core mathematics teaching works mentally. Forcing it onto pencil/paper, because that's all that can be "measured", is insane. As much as pony guy has a point about talking to the teachers, there's one little problem with that: State teachers only teach what they are told by the state to teach, especially considering their ability to be in that particular classroom is dependent on the examinations associated with that very particular teaching method (vs. administrative work because you can't be fired after tenure in the third year, at least that's the case in the Vampire State), thanks to parts of this initiative that are basically extensions of previous attempts, such as No Child Left Behind. The only way you're going to get a curriculum change is through state legislature; good luck with that.

Comment

I do not like it at all when private snowplow contractors clear a driveway by pushing the snow out into the street and then leave behind two 6" mounds across the entire width as spillage from either side of the plow.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            I do not like it at all when private snowplow contractors clear a driveway by pushing the snow out into the street and then leave behind two 6" mounds across the entire width as spillage from either side of the plow.
                            ...isn't pushing snow onto the street illegal? Of course, in more dense areas, you don't really have anywhere else to put the snow.

Comment

People linking directly to tweets on this forum. It's either the vBulletin software or my company's web browser, but something causes my browser to always go to the most recent linked tweet when clicking the little blue arrow to view new posts even if there are ten posts added sine that tweet. I don't like it one bit.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

people who pound on the glass door instead of ringing the doorbell.

Comment

Working...
                                X