X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 -- Don't Let the Perfect Become the Enemy of the Good

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Did anyone see Trump's interview on Face the Nation this week? He was a completely different candidate. Poised, honest, and very un-Trump-like. It was eerie.
    POTUS was discussing this over the weekend. The consensus was this is Troll Stage Two.

I heard a great quote from an RFC operative about prepping to debate Trump. "Imagine preparing for a NASCAR race in which one of the drivers will be drunk."
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I think that's true. Trump sucks all the air out of the room, preventing a primary (get it?) challenger to Bush to build momentum. Anything disruptive at this point plays into Bush's hands.
      I think that's Beltway analysis. Who wants to be second place (or 3rd) to a joke candidate? Its like saying Mittens benefits from taking too long to put away Santorum in 2012. Trump's supporters have to go somewhere. One would think Bush is pretty far down on their list, and there's only so many country club types to make up the difference. If they consolidate around someone (Rubio or Cruz since Trump doesn't seem to like Walker), that person becomes the front runner.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        I think that's Beltway analysis. Who wants to be second place (or 3rd) to a joke candidate? Its like saying Mittens benefits from taking too long to put away Santorum in 2012. Trump's supporters have to go somewhere. One would think Bush is pretty far down on their list, and there's only so many country club types to make up the difference. If they consolidate around someone (Rubio or Cruz since Trump doesn't seem to like Walker), that person becomes the front runner.
        I think Bush will ride to the nom like Romney did: let each flavor of the month have their turn while he gradually builds insurmountable leads in delegates and money. His establishment credentials open the bank vaults and endorsements, and the ratchet effect keeps him from having to defend his territory. He can win without getting mean or alienating any of the major righty constituencies: he's already the Favorite Son of the neocons, he's a top tier corporate con choice. He lacks the fundies and the TPers but so did Mittens, and he can let Cruz, Walker, and the other fundy clowns tear each other up over those scraps. Come the general those people sure won't vote D.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think Bush will ride to the nom like Romney did: let each flavor of the month have their turn while he gradually builds insurmountable leads in delegates and money. His establishment credentials open the bank vaults and endorsements, and the ratchet effect keeps him from having to defend his territory. He can win without getting mean or alienating any of the major righty constituencies: he's already the Favorite Son of the neocons, he's a top tier corporate con choice. He lacks the fundies and the TPers but so did Mittens, and he can let Cruz, Walker, and the other fundy clowns tear each other up over those scraps. Come the general those people sure won't vote D.
          Not only won't they vote D, they won't vote. GOP's been trying to pander to the middle for so long that they forgot about their base.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Not only won't they vote D, they won't vote. GOP's been trying to pander to the middle for so long that they forgot about their base.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I have seen no evidence that the theocons will revolt against the RNC. The six months campaign before the election will paint Hillary as the Anti-Christ. They'll be there on election day -- I just wish our grass roots were as dependable.
              Cornell University

Comment

I have seen no evidence that the theocons will revolt against the RNC. The six months campaign before the election will paint Hillary as the Anti-Christ. They'll be there on election day -- I just wish our grass roots were as dependable.
                Not only have you not seen it, he has none. The GOP has been lock step with their false idol nominee's the last two cycles. It's time for them to go all in on the real idol.

And speaking of real idols. Look at who's making the debate on Thursday for sure.

Huckabee a.k.a. Capt. Oven.
                Carson a.k.a. Obamacare is worse than slavery.
                Walker a.k.a. Schools don't need funding, the NBA does.
                Bush a.k.a. I want to accelerate the death penalty.
                Trump
                Ted Cruz a.k.a. I didn't threaten to shut down the government, I just wanted to shut down the government.
                Marco Rubio a.k.a. I don't know how old the earth is but my theologian does.
                Rand Paul a.k.a. I know a lot of people who have mental disorders after getting vaccinated.

Some real winners in this group. It's so hard to choose who to vote for.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You did not see election results from 2008 or 2012.

Comment

Neither did you.

Comment

POTUS was discussing this over the weekend.
                      Took me a second to realize you weren't talking about the actual guy... I was thinking, "Why in the world would Obama.....? Oh."
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Neither did you.
                        Oh no, I did see them. I saw much more than the bottom line, which is evidently all you saw.

Comment

The cross-tabs indicate white evangelical turnout of eligible voters is consistently 5% over the national average. They make up 25% of the electorate and vote 80% Republican. In other words, if white evangelicals dropped just to the national average, the Republicans would lose enough EV for Dubya to have lost in 2000 and 2004.

The Taliban aren't holding the GOP back; they're the only thing keeping the GOP afloat nationally. So those two are married -- neither can pull out without committing suicide.

There's no well-defined equivalent on the Dem side, but the closest analogy would be the entire non-white electorate. The numbers are probably roughly close: 25% of the electorate and 80% Dem. But the difference is that bloc has traditionally turned out less than the national average. One reason why the GOP is desperate to depress minority turnout is if the non-white electorate rose just to the national average, the Democrats would probably gain about 2% (roughly equivalent to what the GOP would lose in the example above). Hence the headlong rush to incarcerate blacks and drive Hispanics underground.

Neither side even thinks about a serious appeal to try to cleave off some of the opponent's base.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-03-2015, 02:51 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

You honestly think if you are right and Jebya wins the nom that the Left Fundies wont be out in full force? They wont stay home if he is involved just cause of his name same for the Righties with Clinton. Turnout wont be an issue.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              You honestly think if you are right and Jebya wins the nom that the Left Fundies wont be out in full force? They wont stay home if he is involved just cause of his name same for the Righties with Clinton. Turnout wont be an issue.
                              I think it will be the normal turnout on both sides for a general election year, so we'll be fine.

I just wish our numbskulls would figure out there's more to politics than the presidency, and start rolling up state, local and Congressional wins. The GOP grassroots are excellent at that, and it really shows in state leg and district drawings.

If we had our presidential year turnout in off-cycle elections, we wouldn't be fighting for majorities, but supermajorities.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I think it will be the normal turnout on both sides for a general election year, so we'll be fine.

I just wish our numbskulls would figure out there's more to politics than the presidency, and start rolling up state, local and Congressional wins. The GOP grassroots are excellent at that, and it really shows in state leg and district drawings.

If we had our presidential year turnout in off-cycle elections, we wouldn't be fighting for majorities, but supermajorities.
                                That I agree with...though to be fair the dems in many local elections put up horrid candidates.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X