Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Minnesota State offseason

http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogspot.com/

Rochester's Riese Zmolek, son of Doug, commits to MSU. I'm guessing we're looking at USHL this fall.

It's good to get in the running for more in-state talent. For the first 2 North Star Cups, our roster has had the fewest Minnesota kids of the 4 teams competing. Not to complain too much - we've been getting good results with the guys we have. But there's a heck of a lot of instate talent, and it helps to build local enthusiasm if we're bringing in kids locals are familiar with.

Re: 2015 Minnesota State offseason

Any buzz on how good this kid is? What other schools he was cosidering?

Also, Jared Spooner committed yesterday. Anyone know anything about him?
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

A kid I use to coach on 2 summer teams has committed to the Mavs. Jared Spooner from Bismarck, ND who played for the Bismarck Bobcats this past season will join the team I believe in 2016. Wish him all the best.
      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
        Any buzz on how good this kid is? What other schools he was cosidering?

Also, Jared Spooner committed yesterday. Anyone know anything about him?
        Just saw this post after I posted mine. I think he will be a third or fourth line type guy but he has improved quite a bit this past season. Good kid outside the rink.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Kind of random but it's the offseason: has there ever been talk of the whole athletic department moving from DII to DI? Could the school financially support it? Kind of odd Minnesota only has one DI school.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOx View Post
            Kind of random but it's the offseason: has there ever been talk of the whole athletic department moving from DII to DI? Could the school financially support it? Kind of odd Minnesota only has one DI school.
            The university did a feasibility study a few years back. They came to the conclusion that it would not work. I doubt that it will be explored again any time soon. They seem happy competing for national championships at the D-II level rather than being ust another small D-I school.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

I don't think it's likely in the near future. Look at the programs that went from the nchc to d1. Outside of ndsu football, the rest have been pretty lackluster save for the random football win against the Brewster led gophers. It wouldn't make much sense financially to even think about it when the u of m gets and will continue to get the bulk of the state funding.

Comment

I don't think it's likely in the near future. Look at the programs that went from the nchc to d1. Outside of ndsu football, the rest have been pretty lackluster save for the random football win against the Brewster led gophers. It wouldn't make much sense financially to even think about it when the u of m gets and will continue to get the bulk of the state funding.
                And look at the UNO experience in "upgrading." Do we want to kill off football, our most consistent winner, just to go D1 in track, etc.? Or to be one of the 350 D1 basketball programs? As long as the hockey team can stay D1 by itself, I'm not sure the D1 benefits outweigh the costs

Comment

Interesting thoughts, the one thing I would expect to change with a D1 jump is more money for the athletic department both in revenue and support. With no knowledge about the hockey program or athletic department at all, are they in need of significant infrastructure upgrades?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    And look at the UNO experience in "upgrading." Do we want to kill off football, our most consistent winner, just to go D1 in track, etc.? Or to be one of the 350 D1 basketball programs? As long as the hockey team can stay D1 by itself, I'm not sure the D1 benefits outweigh the costs
                    Baseball and wrestling have been, by far, the most consistent winners. Football was pretty bad for a long time not very long ago.
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOx View Post
                      Interesting thoughts, the one thing I would expect to change with a D1 jump is more money for the athletic department both in revenue and support. With no knowledge about the hockey program or athletic department at all, are they in need of significant infrastructure upgrades?
                      Football needs a new/upgraded stadium. As for funding, I was told that for a d2 school, msu is near the top (especially comparing it to other nscc schools). on the other hand hockey is near the bottom especially with the Verizon center lease. Funding more than they already do and having modest increases each year isn't realistic. Msu does not and will not get funding in the same stratasphere as the u. The only other way to move up would be to increase the funding by student fees...and that's not happening Especially with the school projecting a $7 million shortfall in the near future.

Comment

Good timing on MSU's part. I was in a totally hockey frame of mind, waiting for the start of game 7 of the NHL Western Conference Championship, and my season-ticket renewal package came in the mail. I'm ready for the 15-16 season, as soon as the Blackhawks wrap up the Stanley Cup.

Comment

Per the press conference today, renovations 50%+ done. Currently fundraising for a new scoreboard.

Bigger news....Make Hastings signs an 8-year extension.

Comment

Huge!
                            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Per the press conference today, renovations 50%+ done. Currently fundraising for a new scoreboard.

Bigger news....Make Hastings signs an 8-year extension.
                              Does it sound like the new scoreboard would be installed by the start of this upcoming season or would it be a project that would happen next offseason?

Comment

Working...
                              X