X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 2: Pay No Attention to the Rioters Behind the Curtain

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    blah, blah, blah...And that's how we wind up with more young black males in prison than in college...blah, blah, blah
    You probably had some valid points before and after this part of your statement, but they're lost immediately when you choose to post this nonsensical statistic which has been proven to be a patently false.

Comment

For those wondering:

http://www.forcescience.org/nosuchthing.html is where the FBI stat came from.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-dangerous-jobs/ is where the other assertion came from. Police officer comes in at 14, below taxi driver and garbage men.

Since there are no official databases regarding fatalities at the hands of police, I can't compare police deaths to deaths caused by police.
      Last edited by unofan; 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        For those wondering:

http://www.forcescience.org/nosuchthing.html is where the FBI stat came from.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-dangerous-jobs/ is where the other assertion came from. Police officer comes in at 14, below taxi driver and garbage men.

Since there are no official databases regarding fatalities at the hands of police, I can't compare police deaths to deaths caused by police.
        You can pick and choose statistics, but the one from your first source that really stands out is that 4,450 officers were assaulted and/or wounded during traffic stops in 2012. So, the fact that a small percentage of these assaults ends up in death, means that the officer shouldn't be at least a tad concerned during every traffic stop? The officer isn't allowed to be afraid of being assaulted and/or wounded? Because that seems to happen at a pretty alarming rate. 4,450 in one year is no joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
          You can pick and choose statistics, but the one from your first source that really stands out is that 4,450 officers were assaulted and/or wounded during traffic stops in 2012. So, the fact that a small percentage of these assaults ends up in death, means that the officer shouldn't be at least a tad concerned during every traffic stop? The officer isn't allowed to be afraid of being assaulted and/or wounded? Because that seems to happen at a pretty alarming rate. 4,450 in one year is no joke.
          When cops occasionally charge people with assault because their face got in the way of the cop's fist, I take that number with a grain of salt. My all-time favorite are the cops who charged a guy with aggravated assault because he had the nerve to bleed on them after they beat him. Edit: sorry, they charged him with destruction of property for bleeding on their uniforms. My mistake, though the sentiment stands.

It's still going to be high, but since that number comes from police reports, it's going to be somewhat exaggerated.

I can't find an official number for traffic stops per year, but http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/pbtss11.pdf at least lets us estimate that roughly 26.5 million people were involved in traffic stops in 2011 as either passengers or the driver (42% of the 63 million people having police contact that year).

And in the grand scheme of things, 4500 assaults out of 26,500,000 encounters is a rate of 17 per hundred thousand. Most cops will never be assaulted, let alone shot, during a traffic stop.
          Last edited by unofan; 10-19-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Outside of flaggy who is saying all or even most cops are bad? No one...want to try again?
            1. Get over yourself
            2. This thread exists for a reason
            3. Kep is pretty much on record questioning the mental makeup of cops among other things
            4. No need to try again the point stands
            5. re: #1 No not really but dial back once in a while, Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              3. Kep is pretty much on record questioning the mental makeup of cops among other things
              I am? News to me.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

How can it be news to you? Do,I really have to waste my time going back to find posts in which you've said disparaging things about those that choose to be cops?

I wouldn't say it otherwise - I agree with you on many matters here far more often than not. I'm not close to anyone in the profession so it's never going to be personal for me. This any any preceding thread exist for a reason and I've seen enough to have formed the opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  How can it be news to you? Do,I really have to waste my time going back to find posts in which you've said disparaging things about those that choose to be cops?
                  Let's not move those goalposts. You said:

questioning the mental makeup of cops
                  So. Fetch!
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I am? News to me.
                    Cops live below the mason dixon, so yes
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I am? News to me.
                      He knows your inner most thoughts and feelings...how dare you question his wisdom!!

He assumes yo speak in absolutes...since you question some cops you hate all cops and think they are evil or stupid even though you have said nothing of the sort.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        He knows your inner most thoughts and feelings...how dare you question his wisdom!!

He assumes yo speak in absolutes...since you question some cops you hate all cops and think they are evil or stupid even though you have said nothing of the sort.
                        Got it. For knucks, existential qualification = universal quantification.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Got it. For knucks, existential qualification = universal quantification.
                          Funny thing he is not a knuck
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Funny thing he is not a knuck
                            The guy who confused ∃ and ∀ below is. I know Slap Shot isn't but he hasn't responded yet. I have a feeling he'll bring something a lot stronger than that derp.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The original "bad cop" thread and hits like this after a cursory search lead me to the impression:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6154164
                              http://board.uscho.com/search.php?searchid=752724

There are some other posts from at least one other poster here that imho go too far. However, I think I over-extended your overall approach to the matter and quite possibly conflated your opinions with others including at another forum. mea culpa

btw - replace "Tanner" with "Kepler" with "Handy" playing the part of Kelly Leak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIpGkd5y9l8

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Cops live below the mason dixon, so yes
                                Kepler lives below the Mason Dixon line, so...

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X