Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best current Ivy League Womens programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best current Ivy League Womens programs?

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    Why would a kid that has spent the last 15 years trying to be the best hockey player they can be suddenly give up and decide their new goal in life is to sit in a cube working at some mundane job where they will wear the same clothes, drive the same car, and eat the same food as everyone else when they could be playing hockey for a championship or to earn a berth on the Olympic team?

I’ll tell you, someone who realizes they really aren’t all that good. Nothing wrong with that, being able to look in the mirror and see the real you is something that escapes many of us. But if they look in the mirror and see someone that wants, and is capable to reach the epitome of women’s hockey, they will pick the school they believe will help them realize that goal.

This is no different than the kid who wants to be a lawyer, a doctor, an engineer, or anything else.
    PC - a couple of thoughts here: (1) have you considered the possibility that kids selecting an Ivy are doing so in part to minimize the probability of ending up in that very dreary outcome that you describe?, and (2) I'm pretty sure that the ones going to Cornell or Harvard aren't secretly confessing that they "really aren't all that good".

Comment

Originally posted by Hello View Post
      You should probably go back and do the math on how many National Team players (since the time women's hockey was first sponsored as an Olympic sport) graduated from an Ivy school. Only the exceptional few can do it, and I highly doubt they are now sitting in a cube working a mundane job. Rather they're more likely moved onto other life's passions and making a lot of money. I'm sure you're smart enough to realize there are a lot of Olympians who've not won a National Championship, I'm also sure you're smart enough to know that being able to afford a quality life (basic needs for that matter) is not currently happening among all CWHL or soon to be NWHL players.
      math not needed
      but history is

since the Ivy schools were about the only ones to have a team, it follows that the players would also make up the O team
      and then there is that bit about the coach picking her own players

Originally posted by 2GirlsinHKY View Post
      (1) have you considered the possibility that kids selecting an Ivy are doing so in part to minimize the probability of ending up in that very dreary outcome that you describe?,
      don't kid yourself, compared to playing hockey they are all dreary

go anywhere and you'll see people wearing clothes trying to fool others into believing they are important, going out to lunch to get away from their job, and spend far more than they have to on a car to impress people and more importantly convince themselves it is all worthwhile

they'd all give it up in a minute to be on a sports team reliving their youth
      Last edited by pokechecker; 05-11-2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

That's a very broad-sweeping generalization of a statement you made and one that I know is absolutely not true for "all" of them. Females are NOT like males who always seem to be trying to relive their youth in one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          Females are NOT like males who always seem to be trying to relive their youth in one way or another.
          LOL

yeah, and that's why nobody can make money selling hair color & makeup to women

Comment

yeah, and that's why nobody can make money selling hair color & makeup to women
            Staying youthful looking and trying to relive your youth are two completely different things. Have you ever even interacted with any women in your life?! Your comments make it seem highly doubtful. You're putting stereotypical male behavior on "all" female hockey players and you're just so wrong it's unbelievable. Do you have any idea how many young women are glad their 4 years is over?! Many are done with hockey after their second or third college year - some stick it out while others quit and focus on their academics in preparation for their careers after college. The fact is men and women view sports very differently. You don't seem to be aware of that.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Females are NOT like males who always seem to be trying to relive their youth in one way or another.
              so I guess we are supposed to forget you said that last part

how would anybody even know if women want to relive their youth as far as sports go, women haven't been playing long enough to know

a generation ago women weren't even interested in watching sports, as long as we are making assumptions about each other, my guess is that you are too old to have ever played sports at a high level

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                A resume is a starting point of conversation. I think in the interview you'd be able give one the edge over another w/o taking into consideration where they went to school.
                Originally posted by ARM View Post
                I agree. If the applicant is banking on the school making a difference while in the interview, that is a negative rather than a positive. You hire the candidate, not the school, and in an interview, all else is never equal.
                100% agree with that. The resume is to get to the interview. The interview is where you need to outshine others to make the cut. Sort of like tryouts, and just like tryouts, practice makes perfect.

Comment

Why would a kid that has spent the last 15 years trying to be the best hockey player they can be suddenly give up and decide their new goal in life is to sit in a cube working at some mundane job where they will wear the same clothes, drive the same car, and eat the same food as everyone else when they could be playing hockey for a championship or to earn a berth on the Olympic team?

I’ll tell you, someone who realizes they really aren’t all that good. Nothing wrong with that, being able to look in the mirror and see the real you is something that escapes many of us. But if they look in the mirror and see someone that wants, and is capable to reach the epitome of women’s hockey, they will pick the school they believe will help them realize that goal.

This is no different than the kid who wants to be a lawyer, a doctor, an engineer, or anything else.
                  You said "I’ll tell you, someone who realizes they really aren’t all that good"..that is blunt and a very one sided or narrow view....There are lots of good hockey players, just not quite good enough to make it to the pinnacle of hockey, but those same players can and often do excel in other endeavors....so with that said like to change your statement to something more realistic, that applies to many a good but not super elite hockey player.....

"someone who realizes that they have reached the limit of their ability in hockey, and decides to focus on something they are good at, that they also happen to like and can make a good living at".
                  Last edited by OnMAA; 05-12-2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello View Post
                    You should probably go back and do the math on how many National Team players (since the time women's hockey was first sponsored as an Olympic sport) graduated from an Ivy school. Only the exceptional few can do it, and I highly doubt they are now sitting in a cube working a mundane job. Rather they're more likely moved onto other life's passions and making a lot of money. I'm sure you're smart enough to realize there are a lot of Olympians who've not won a National Championship, I'm also sure you're smart enough to know that being able to afford a quality life (basic needs for that matter) is not currently happening among all CWHL or soon to be NWHL players.
                    Yeah there are very few....a few names that come to mind are Ruggiero and Botherill.

Remember Corriero.....Fantastic player, always on the cusp of greatness, Ivy All Star and then some, but never got to the national team....She decided that being a successful lawyer was more important when she came to that "decision point" in her life.

Comment

don't kid yourself, compared to playing hockey they are all dreary

go anywhere and you'll see people wearing clothes trying to fool others into believing they are important, going out to lunch to get away from their job, and spend far more than they have to on a car to impress people and more importantly convince themselves it is all worthwhile

Sure there are people who have successful careers do this "bragging stuff". There are just as many if not more who don't and live happy and fulfilling lives. Don't slant your views based on the behavior of a few you hang around with at a hockey rink (or other sports arena for that matter).

There are many ways to measure success and fulfillment. Sports is just one vehicle.

Comment

so I guess we are supposed to forget you said that last part

how would anybody even know if women want to relive their youth as far as sports go, women haven't been playing long enough to know

a generation ago women weren't even interested in watching sports, as long as we are making assumptions about each other, my guess is that you are too old to have ever played sports at a high level

Wow, you are a total nutbar. Do you know anything about the history of women's sports? Haven't been playing long enough to know?! A generation ago women weren't even interested in watching sports?! Really?! You show your ignorance at every turn, and your guess is 100% incorrect. Nice try at an insult though. Now I know why so many others here ignore you. I'm joining them now.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          100% agree with that. The resume is to get to the interview. The interview is where you need to outshine others to make the cut. Sort of like tryouts, and just like tryouts, practice makes perfect.
                          I also think that if a school is indeed "better" (and what makes a school better is rather subjective), then the graduate is likely to perform better in the interview and in the position once hired because a better education would have given her an edge for life after college. So if an Ivy graduate is preferred, it should be because she comes out more polished, not because the school has some "Wow!" factor.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            I also think that if a school is indeed "better" (and what makes a school better is rather subjective), then the graduate is likely to perform better in the interview and in the position once hired because a better education would have given her an edge for life after college. So if an Ivy graduate is preferred, it should be because she comes out more polished, not because the school has some "Wow!" factor.
                            My sister got a full ride to Yale so she went. After graduation she & her husband decided to stay in Connecticut. During the economic down turn in the late 80s her company wen t bust & she was unemployed. I mentioned that she had a degree from Yale so a new job shouldn't be as hard to find as it could be, she said "In the Midwest a Yale degree carries a lot of weight, out here everyone has one!" But a few years later they did move back & she found that a sheepskin that said "YALE" was indeed one way to the front of the line. The school itself had little to do with it though, the name was the key.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              My sister got a full ride to Yale so she went..
                              If the 'full ride' was based on your family's economic evaluation from Yale, then maybe it could be true, but often in hockey circles a 'full ride' refers to an athletic scholarship/award, and that doesn't happen at ANY Ivy League program

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                she found that a sheepskin that said "YALE" was indeed one way to the front of the line. The school itself had little to do with it though, the name was the key.
                                The "Law of Perception" at work from Ries and Trout's brilliant work "The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing"...which law they define as "marketing is not a battle of products, it's a battle of perceptions."

They further explain that "There is no objective reality. There are no facts. There are no best products. All that exists in the world of marketing are perceptions in the mind of the customer or prospect. The perception is the reality. Everything else is an illusion."

This principle or "law" is at work endlessly in the recruiting process in the coaching staffs' continual attempt to attract prospective recruits to their various hockey programs.
                                Last edited by Blackbeard; 05-13-2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X