X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part X - A link to a fore gone conclusion

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I know they exist, but I really wish people on the right were as vocal advocating social justice and environmental protection and they are with protesting gay marriage or flag burning or relentlessly driving the middle class into penury to protect the sacred right of the right to own us all.

I think if they were they'd be in better shape politically, too.
    We go about it a bit more quietly than a lot of you (or at least folks I know tend to). Those few hot button issues get the media attention, but I don't really know anybody that spends much time on them in daily life, whereas I know lots of folks who advocate for various social issues and interests and help them along in various ways. But such regular folks don't make good headlines. It's easier to talk about some wacky Westboro group or something.
    Last edited by Bob Gray; 06-29-2015, 03:52 PM.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

It's garbage like this that caused me to entirely leave the right wing of American politics. They claim to love America but aren't at all interested in intelligence or even honest debate. I can't get behind a movement/party/etc. that isn't interested in intellectualism or even at a minimum keeping one toe inside the threshold reality and rational thought.

Edit: And my shift isn't because the left has convinced me they know better on all topics. It's that the Republicans have been so amazingly wrong (and "wronger" every day) on so many things that I'm convinced the GOP and much of the right wing can't be correct on other topics. So I'm forced to assume the left wing is probably closer to the truth than anything else.
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-29-2015, 04:14 PM.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Amen to that. It's amazing to see how much progress this country made following the Dumbya disaster. Does anybody else remember how John Kerry and Al Gore were told to dumb down their speech to appeal to the rubes in flyover country? That says it all. The Republican Party appeals to crazy people, stupid people, and the ultra-rich.
        1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
          Amen to that. It's amazing to see how much progress this country made following the Dumbya disaster. Does anybody else remember how John Kerry and Al Gore were told to dumb down their speech to appeal to the rubes in flyover country? That says it all. The Republican Party appeals to crazy people, stupid people, and the ultra-rich.
          At some point one of the mods is going to out your other "regular" username. It's going to be fun to watch.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            It's garbage like this that caused me to entirely leave the right wing of American politics. They claim to love America but aren't at all interested in intelligence or even honest debate. I can't get behind a movement/party/etc. that isn't interested in intellectualism or even at a minimum keeping one toe inside the threshold reality and rational thought.

Edit: And my shift isn't because the left has convinced me they know better on all topics. It's that the Republicans have been so amazingly wrong (and "wronger" every day) on so many things that I'm convinced the GOP and much of the right wing can't be correct on other topics. So I'm forced to assume the left wing is probably closer to the truth than anything else.
            I actually voted (R) in 2000. Everything they've done since has convinced me that I should never do that again. One day they'll do something to change my mind.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              At some point one of the mods is going to out your other "regular" username. It's going to be fun to watch.
              The sad thing is, his regular username is probably "Priceless".

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                We go about it a bit more quietly than a lot of you (or at least folks I know tend to). Those few hot button issues get the media attention, but I don't really know anybody that spends much time on them in daily life, whereas I know lots of folks who advocate for various social issues and interests and help them along in various ways. But such regular folks don't make good headlines. It's easier to talk about some wacky Westboro group or something.
                Or other fringe elements such as governors and presidential candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                  Did you ever think that that's the point? It's easier to either pacify a group, or hype some very minor issue in the grand scheme of things, all while the real tyranny, such as TPA and Jade Helm, is flown under the radar. This country is now in a greater nightmare due to a lack of focus.

Comment

The GOP wasn't always so crazy at the core. There were always far right fringe wackjobs (just as there were to the far left of the Dems) but the central tendency of the party was sober. Reagan began as an intra-party revolt but once the Reaganites gained power it was Animal Farm -- they started acting just like the prior party bosses and, while ideological, they were responsible.

1994 was when the GOP went off the rails. Newt was a talented P. T. Barnum and his circus started the Eternal September of the Republicans. Even with the Bush family burrowed back in the White House the Congressional Republicans continued to get more and more rabid, until the party itself fractured in 2006. There's almost no party left, now. There are just independent city-states (Santorumland, Trump Mordor, the Kingdom of the Two Pauls, Cruz Fantasy Island) run as proxy states for billionaires, dotting endless stretches of wild, unexplored frontierland where the armies are recruited.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Or other fringe elements such as governors and presidential candidates.
                      I'm just wondering when the moderate Republicans will stand up and denounce the radical members of the GOP. By staying silent, they must be implicitly endorsing their tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        I'm just wondering when the moderate Republicans will stand up and denounce the radical members of the GOP. By staying silent, they must be implicitly endorsing their tactics.
                        Huntsman has done it. The Pauls did it until Rand decided to run for president.

That's about it.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Huntsman has done it. The Pauls did it until Rand decided to run for president.

That's about it.
                          Someone missed the joke.

Hint: Replace Republican with a certain religion...

Comment

Someone missed the joke.

Hint: Replace Republican with a certain religion...
                            You're right, I missed it.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Radicals will never be denounced. People want leadership, and they know they won't get it from a flip-flopper.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Radicals will never be denounced. People want leadership, and they know they won't get it from a flip-flopper.
                                False choice. In this Republican environment, moderation is what requires courage. The emptiest pot makes the most noise when struck.

The "radicals" on the far right are just playing their audience. Leadership would be finding solutions, not throwing bombs.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-30-2015, 09:06 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X