How was your experience in Boston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
    Cy Young never played at Fenway. He pitched a short walk away at Huntington Ave Ground (now the campus of Northeastern)

One complaint I have was about the Garden...it seemed like they shortchanged the event from a staffing standpoint. I know the beer stands were closed, but some of the other concession stands in the balcony were closed or were only half open (two people working four registers). This works for Hockey East Championships but not for a sold out event like the Frozen Four. I have Celtics playoff tickets in a couple weeks...I'm sure they'll be 100% open for THAT.
    Funny enough, a few concessions were closed at a Bruins game I went to back in January.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Re: How was your experience in Boston?

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      might have pitched there but graduated from Harvard!!!
      Actually, I think he was Harvard's pitching coach.

Comment

true as well

Cy Young

Baseball player

Denton True "Cy" Young was an American Major League Baseball pitcher. During his 21-year baseball career, he pitched for five different teams. Young established numerous pitching records, some of which have stood for a century. Wikipedia

Born: March 29, 1867, Gilmore, Ohio, OH

Died: November 4, 1955, Newcomerstown, OH

Nationality: American

Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)

Weight: 210 lbs (95 kg)

Education: Harvard University

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
          I'm afraid that if you ask for comments, the weather has to be included - it sucked!
          early spring in Boston is the is the worst weather in the contiguous 48 at that time IMO. We have a nice stretch now but it will end and misery will return until late may. cold, damp, gray, just beautiful

Comment

might have pitched there but graduated from Harvard!!!
            did pitch at Fenway as well!! http://www.newenglandhistoricalsocie...ohnson-fenway/
            Cy Young might well have pitched at Fenway but it would have been in an exhibition, such as an old timers game. His last season was 1911--a year before Fenway opened--and that was for the Boston Rustlers (a forerunner of the National League Boston Braves).

He had a sixth grade education. He coached baseball at Harvard in 1902 to give himself something to do before the season started. There's no evidence I know of that he attended classes at or graduated from Harvard.

For anyone that might want an interesting diversion on their next trip to Boston, there's a Cy Young statue on the Northeastern campus at the approximate location of the pitcher's mound at the Huntington Avenue Baseball Grounds, which preceded Fenway Park.

Now back to hockey.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
              early spring in Boston is the is the worst weather in the contiguous 48 at that time IMO. We have a nice stretch now but it will end and misery will return until late may. cold, damp, gray, just beautiful
              That's why we say "Wait five minutes." As it turns out, today is 70 and sunny. No wind. So we missed by four days. Of course, it never rains on the golf course...

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                Funny enough, a few concessions were closed at a Bruins game I went to back in January.
                They're doing renovations, so a few are closed at all times right now. The ones I was upset by were not closed for renovations, just had the gates down for no good reason.

I didn't notice that at the Bruins/Leafs game last Saturday.

Comment

Nah, not even the worst in New England. Up north, it's just as gray, a bit less damp, colder, and mud up to your hub caps. Then the black flies hatch, if you consider that's part of the weather.

Comment

No, he didn't. He played his final game in 1911. Fenway opened in 1912.
                    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Last edited by MN Magic; 04-15-2015, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                        Nah, not even the worst in New England. Up north, it's just as gray, a bit less damp, colder, and mud up to your hub caps. Then the black flies hatch, if you consider that's part of the weather.
                        unless you're talking coastal Maine (which i may agree with) the rest is not near the ocean, hence, not as bad . I have a buddy in Northern NJ and go there a couple times every spring and cant believe its so different right west of NYC

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                          (two people working four registers).
                          I feel like the four-register stands always have only two people any time I go to the Garden, and I've been about 10 times this season (5-6 Celtics games, 1 Bruins, and Hockey East tournament).

You can probably go ahead and blamed noted cheapskate J. Jacobs for that, since he owns the arena and the concessions company along with the resident hockey team.

Comment

We very much enjoyed the food and drink. Having been there in '98 and '04, we didn't make too much of an effort at the historical/tourist stuff, other than bars, including sating one of our party's desire to see Cheers/Bull & Finch. Since I was two months shy of 21 last time around, I have to say that I like Boston much better when I can enjoy the bars. (In 2004, we were confused and dismayed to find the you-can-order-a-beer-with-your-parents exception to the drinking age does not work there like it does in Wisconsin.) The highlight was probably the Boston Brew Tour we did on Friday night.

I kind of hated TD Garden. There was nothing particularly wrong with it once we were in our seats, but getting in, especially on Saturday, was hellish. Is there just the one entrance gate, or did we just not see other options? Where we entered had people extremely packed together in a very unpleasant wall-to-wall people, can barely shuffle your feet kind of herd to get in. Also, the lower level concourse was similarly unpleasant the one time we ventured down from the balcony, as if the souvenir stands/concessions/entrance/something were not configured well to allow people to move about. We go to the Frozen Four every year, I know it's going to be crowded, but the entries and concourse at TD Garden seemed unusually bad.

Oh, and it's kind of a miracle we avoided any ankle/foot injuries. Cobblestones are bullsh**
                            Last edited by The Hallucination; 04-14-2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

unless you're talking coastal Maine (which i may agree with) the rest is not near the ocean, hence, not as bad . I have a buddy in Northern NJ and go there a couple times every spring and cant believe its so different right west of NYC
                              My wife is from there...everyone thinks NJ is all about the turnpike and GSP, but up north and west (Ramsey, Pompton Lakes, Wycoff) are some BEAUTIFUL areas. One would never know unless they have been there!

Comment

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
                                I kind of hated TD Garden. There was nothing particularly wrong with it once we were in our seats, but getting in, especially on Saturday, was hellish. Is there just the one entrance gate, or did we just not see other options?
                                Well, there are two, but the problem is that you are also entering North Station where 50% of the commuter rail trains come in every day. It IS congested...it's Boston, as I have mentioned before. Everything has been here 400 years so there are not a lot of options unless you want to go to the suburbs, which is not a good idea in this area given many people's propensity/ability to travel outside the city. Different for the Patriots, because it's only 8 days a year. You could NEVER have the Bruins, Celtics or Red Sox based outside the city...it doesn't work here. Thousands need to be within public transportation access. So the Garden is essentially on the site (next to) the "old" Garden. They "shoehorned" it in, which meant the only viable option was to put the parking underground and "compress" the concourses to fit on the existing footprint. Would it be nicer if the concourses were wider? Of course, but then the building would not have been able to be built on that footprint.

Yes, cobblestones are brutal, especially for the women who are wearing heels!

Comment

Working...
                                X