Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 - It's never too late to start all over again!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 - It's never too late to start all over again!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Did she also convince him to cozy up to the Industrial Military Complex?

I thought he was named after Ayn Rand. Randy? Huh...
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      She was protecting herself politically. She knew that when war fever is in the air, most of the population become orangutans throwing their own poop and a politician's best chance is to go along with it. Everybody in DC knew Cheney and his goons had the war on the drawing board for years. It was going to happen and the apes were going to crush anybody who got in the way. So she got out of the way. Pure calculation.

As Chris Rock said: I don't condone it, but I understand.

I'll give your girl this. There are worse things to have in the White House than a pragmatist.

I'm getting a little older, but let me see if I recall all of this...

From what I remember, the idea (from the Dems) was to give the US military authorization to take action to force the Iraqis to comply with inspections (and possibly regime change). At the point of a gun in the final days before the war started, Hussein did in fact offer unfettered access to his country. Of his many, many, huge mistakes, Bush should have taken him up on his offer, then he would have found no WMD's before 5K US troops and 1T in expenditures happened. Bush wasn't offering to come back for another resolution, so Dems were in a hard place. You either 1) gave the admin the tools to force compliance, with now unrealistic hope the neo-cons would use that authority properly, or you voted against it and if the US did find something, or worse yet Saddam used chemical weapons against our troops, good luck withstanding that. I agree on the pragmatism, but it was more than just getting out of the way. The set up for the war was orchestrated brilliantly, right down to phony intelligence and normally trustworthy partners (Powell, Tony Blair) giving valuable cover to the cons. Hell, Oprah was even on board.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

The things people will do to be president.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

And God bless Bernie Sanders.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/sand...ocial-security
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I love Bernie, but I'm ready to means-test all of our social programs. Social Security should be insurance against indigence when you can no longer work. If you retire rich, congratulations, you win. Advance to Millionaire Acres. You don't need the check, though, so we're keeping it for somebody who does. Put your big girl panties on and enjoy your slightly less affluent golden years.

I know Bernie and many liberals believe that tactically the only way to keep social programs funded is to make them entitlements, because people are greedy creeps who won't fund pure charity programs, but I believe we have to combat that selfishness in society, not appease it. And I also believe that if the voters decide to shaft the poors, in a democracy they have that right. Not a country I want to live in, but that's why God made luggage.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I love Bernie, but I'm ready to means-test all of our social programs. Social Security should be insurance against indigence when you can no longer work. If you retire rich, congratulations, you win. Advance to Millionaire Acres. You don't need the check, though, so we're keeping it for somebody who does. Put your big girl panties on and enjoy your slightly less affluent golden years.

I know Bernie and many liberals believe that tactically the only way to keep social programs funded is to make them entitlements, because people are greedy creeps who won't fund pure charity programs, but I believe we have to combat that selfishness in society, not appease it. And I also believe that if the voters decide to shaft the poors, in a democracy they have that right. Not a country I want to live in, but that's why God made luggage.
              Well, that's pretty funny because Social Security is the most regressive tax we have. And the rate it's at is only 6% away from Mitt Romney's Federal Rate.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I think if you do this for social security especially, it shouldn't be retroactive--meaning you means-test only the amount that was payed in after you decided to add means-testing. There's something not right about telling people that the money they have been paying in for their entire working lives isn't a tax then suddenly telling them "Turns out it was a tax all along." I'm all for strengthening the safety net, but it has to be done the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                  I think if you do this for social security especially, it shouldn't be retroactive--meaning you means-test only the amount that was payed in after you decided to add means-testing. There's something not right about telling people that the money they have been paying in for their entire working lives isn't a tax then suddenly telling them "Turns out it was a tax all along." I'm all for strengthening the safety net, but it has to be done the right way.
                  I'll buy that. But by the same token, then, once you've entered the system they should not be able to raise the collection age. That would be another bait and switch.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Well, that's pretty funny because Social Security is the most regressive tax we have. And the rate it's at is only 6% away from Mitt Romney's Federal Rate.
                    Non sequitur. If you're concerned about progressivism of fiscal policy then if anything you should favor means-testing outlays.

BTW, if you're arguing to uncap payroll taxes I'm right there with you.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Non sequitur. If you're concerned about progressivism of fiscal policy then if anything you should favor means-testing outlays.

BTW, if you're arguing to uncap payroll taxes I'm right there with you.
                      I have no problem with Means Testing. I'm just concerned where the means test is going to fall. They always get the numbers wrong. Middle Class starts too low. Poverty level is WAY WAY WAY too low. Where the middle class ends in my mind isn't high enough.

So, it all depends on where the numbers placed.

And yes uncapping or at least fixing the cap and the rate is needed greatly.

Comment

I'll buy that. But by the same token, then, once you've entered the system they should not be able to raise the collection age. That would be another bait and switch.
                        Yeah, very true. I'm sure principle will have to give somewhere to keep the thing afloat--means-testing is certainly a more pragmatic sacrifice of principle than a blanket change of collection age.

Comment

I have no problem with Means Testing. I'm just concerned where the means test is going to fall. They always get the numbers wrong. Middle Class starts too low. Poverty level is WAY WAY WAY too low. Where the middle class ends in my mind isn't high enough.

So, it all depends on where the numbers placed.
                          Disagreement averted. I am disappoint!
                          Cornell University

Comment

Disagreement averted. I am disappoint!
                            LOL.

Oh, well.

Comment

Subscribed because I don't know how I missed this thread
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Once again Kepler and I are in agreement.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X