Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 - It's never too late to start all over again!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 - It's never too late to start all over again!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Would also appreciate some WI knowledge of how Feingold lost last time. Midterm electorate, or more than that? 10 points is a lot.
    I honestly really liked Feingold and was really disappointed when he lost. Simplistically, I think Johnson won for the same reasons Walker won. Some of these reasons are difficult to reason out given we voted for Obama twice but I think the midterm had a lot to do with it.

I actually had a bit of hope for Johnson (I have met him and members of his family through friends) but as far as I have followed his voting record, he has been the same status quo we expect out of a partisan politician.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

To: Kep
      Re: 2016 Senate

TOP SECRET: FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

Kep,

While not a WI resident, my impression of Feingold and no offense to his supporters is that he doesn't like raising money, and when the other guy either has money or does like raising money you can find yourself outgunned real quick. I think that may have happened to him in 2010. Happy to see him back in 2016. While of course polls are not predictive of final results this early, he is looking good in his comeback initially (not everyone is politically viable after a defeat). I read Wisconsin hasn't elected a Republican Senator in a Presidential election year since 1980, which doesn't bode well for hard-righty Ron Johson.

For other seats, Kirk in IL and Ayotte in NH are in serious trouble. Kinda like those Southern Dems were in 2014. Ayotte really needs a weak challenger. If either the current or former governor steps up (Hassan or Lynch) she needs to start sending resumes to neo-con foreign policy think tanks with an expected start date of Jan 2017.

The other two seats in play are Florida where Rubio ditched, and Pennsylvania. PA worried me. Toomey unlike all other GOP incumbents in disputed seats has made moves to be more bipartisan. He most likely is facing Sestak in a rematch of 2010 race but Dem party isn't too thrilled with him. Problem is half of Dem statewide office holders are indicted or in trouble (AG, Treasurer). TBD on this one.

Florida will depend on Presidential race winner. If you're running unknowns vs unknowns, I'd expect top of the ticket to carry the day.

Lastly, Ohio is interesting in the Portman-Strickland race. I read a good analysis of this race which is Portman could survive if his party lost the state for Prez by a couple of % points. Get closer to 4 or 5% and he's unlikely to win. A good get out of DSCC (is Schumer still running that?).

Dems only have 10 seats running. Only NV needs to be watched with Reid's merciful retirement. Dems have strong horse in former AG, but need incumbent Gov (Sandoval) to skip race. If he makes it he wins regardless of how top of ticket does.

Beyond that, look out for retirements. There's always an unexpected one. I heard Grassley interviewed the other day and unless he's fighting a cold he sounds half dead already. Also lets see if McCain ends up answering the bell again although GOP bench should keep that one red regardless.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        To: Kep
        Re: 2016 Senate

TOP SECRET: FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

Kep,

While not a WI resident, my impression of Feingold and no offense to his supporters is that he doesn't like raising money, and when the other guy either has money or does like raising money you can find yourself outgunned real quick. I think that may have happened to him in 2010. Happy to see him back in 2016. While of course polls are not predictive of final results this early, he is looking good in his comeback initially (not everyone is politically viable after a defeat). I read Wisconsin hasn't elected a Republican Senator in a Presidential election year since 1980, which doesn't bode well for hard-righty Ron Johson.
        Seems to me politicians are largely of two groups: dogmatic idealists who are principled in their approach to money and dogmatic idealists who are not so principled in their approach to money. The politicians who are actually focused on doing what's best for people rather than being devoted to a strict ideology are rare. Due to has sporatic policy choices, Obama may be one of those truly trying to put the people's welfare first...but if so, its likely his execution has been frequently off.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Seems to me politicians are largely of two groups: dogmatic idealists who are principled in their approach to money and dogmatic idealists who are not so principled in their approach to money. The politicians who are actually focused on doing what's best for people rather than being devoted to a strict ideology are rare. Due to has sporatic policy choices, Obama may be one of those truly trying to put the people's welfare first...but if so, its likely his execution has been frequently off.
          Unfortunately you get no credit from the public for taking an anti-money stance. Or at least its not a high priority for voters unless you did something illegal (Nixon) or your donor ends up being a convict (Madoff, etc). Even for a bad donor I don't recall too many cases of pols being held to account for that.

So Feingold may prefer to collect cans to finance his campaign, but until the SCOTUS changes I hope he tries to be competitive within existing laws of course.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            A good get out of DSCC (is Schumer still running that?)
            Tester.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Rubio just changed the Iraq answer.

Now the answer is that Iraq was the right thing to do with the information they had at the time. In hindsight he wouldn't have done it. But given the same information Bush had he would have done it. Considering Bush and Cheney fudged the evidence and everyone knows that he's an idiot.

Walker keeps looking like the logical alternative for the GOP. He may be the most dangerous man in the field but just sneaky enough to get the nomination.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Walker just said the same thing in face the nation. Scooby, you need to put the crack pipe down.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Walker just said the same thing in face the nation. Scooby, you need to put the crack pipe down.
                  Ha Ha. So, there all in lock step, ay? Wow.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

When the purse strings are pulled...
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Also, they think they're smarter than each other. They see one candidate get savaged for his response, even if it's honest, and they adjust accordingly. None of them have the spine to say what they really think. They need to watch the polls first.

It's why I'd make a terrible politician. I have no filter and don't care what people think. I'll say what I think and I'll stand behind it. Unless someone shows me a better path of course. But then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. (it just doesn't happen very often.)
                      Code:

Comment

In one way, this makes these guys typical Americans. It seems like so many people even those on the left have shifted their positions on Iraq. The difference is that these guys have done it in front of the country when they were trying to get elected to run the country...and all in the last week.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

I just don't see how anyone can say Iraq was justified based on what they knew at the time or what they know now. They cooked the books.

Comment

It's easy to say that in hindsight.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              It's easy to say that in hindsight.
                              What that Cheney and Bush lied? I guess I'd like to think these guys are more honest than that.

Comment

No, I mean that we shouldn't have gone in with the info that was published at the time. Knowing what we know how, it is probably one of the worst foreign policy decisions in a generation. Probably more.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X