Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 - It's never too late to start all over again!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campaign 2016 - It's never too late to start all over again!

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Quite a few refuse to have children because of the population explosion and the harm humans are doing to the ecosystem. Not that they're choosing not to have sex...they're choosing to use protection.
    Maybe it's just my troubled libertarian logic, but it seems to me that the only way to 100% make sure that you are physically not going to have a baby is to not have sex. But hey, if those loony environmentalists want to choose not to reproduce, I'm willing to be patient and let their kind die out.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Maybe it's just my troubled libertarian logic, but it seems to me that the only way to 100% make sure that you are physically not going to have a baby is to not have sex. But hey, if those loony environmentalists want to choose not to reproduce, I'm willing to be patient and let their kind die out.
      Vasectomy. Or tying of the tubes. While both procedures can technically fail, it's highly unlikely that they will.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Quite a few refuse to have children because of the population explosion and the harm humans are doing to the ecosystem. Not that they're choosing not to have sex...they're choosing to use protection.
        If our ancestors had that attitude they would not be our ancestors.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          His other big thing, though I've not followed him in recent months, was hammering away against more American money/lives spent on wars.
          Falls under corporate welfare. Military spending is just another giveaway to the 1%.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Falls under corporate welfare. Military spending is just another giveaway to the 1%.
            That's blatantly unfair. Some of us are only 2%-ers. :P
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Saw my first Super PAC ad of the campaign today, an anti Rand Paul / Iran ad brought to you by the Committee for a Prosperous and Secure America.

Yay for living in Iowa.

Edit: Sorry. It's the Foundation for a Secure and Prosperous America. Not sure how I could mess up a word salad like that...

edit 2: its website is even classier. http://www.secureandprosperous.com/ - I count at least 3 typos/grammatical errors in its one page.
              Last edited by unofan; 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Saw my first Super PAC ad of the campaign today, an anti Rand Paul / Iran ad brought to you by the Committee for a Prosperous and Secure America.

Yay for living in Iowa.
                Yikes. I thought we were screwed (VA a battleground state, lots of inside baseball ads to prospective campaign staff and bundlers) but even we don't start up until around August. Good luck.
                Last edited by Kepler; 04-08-2015, 07:12 PM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Maybe it's just my troubled libertarian logic, but it seems to me that the only way to 100% make sure that you are physically not going to have a baby is to not have sex.
                  Yes because clearly the only way to do anything is if there is a 100% chance of an outcome occurring.

What is also effective is putting your fingers in your ears and pretending that adolescents (as a population) have not only the ability, but the will to abstain from sex.

--Wipes hands---
                  Problem solved.
                  In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                  I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Vasectomy. Or tying of the tubes. While both procedures can technically fail, it's highly unlikely that they will.
                    Or an IUD. Or Implanon. Or even condoms if you are taught correctly by someone with even a casual relationship with reality.
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                      Yes because clearly the only way to do anything is if there is a 100% chance of an outcome occurring.

What is also effective is putting your fingers in your ears and pretending that adolescents (as a population) have not only the ability, but the will to abstain from sex.

--Wipes hands---
                      Problem solved.
                      Physics is King and Biology is Queen and their rule is absolute.

Wishing will not make it so.

But to ignore the consequences is irresponsible.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

First lets get this out of the way!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ry-116432.html (ducks Kepler's disapproving glare )

Second, there was a fascinating discussion on NPR last night where they had an Iowa conservative activist, a GOP pollster and some woman from the lamestream media on talking about the primaries. The gist of it was that each Republican who announces represents their own faction, but there doesn't seem to be a plan to broaden their appeal to either the other factions or the general electorate. Case in point nowhere apparently in the Cruz or Paul announcements was an emphasis on the economy, which is the primary concern of voters. The Activist guy, after trashing Bush and saying he has no support outside of the media (kudos for honesty ) stated that what suburban Chicago families want from a candidate is irrelevant right now. That's like a Final Four matchup when we're still in the round of 64. Rather its who appeals to the righties in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. This I think is a good point, but its also a fatal flaw in the GOP nominating process. You will have to go really hard right, or BE a fundie, to win these primaries and that screws you in the general. I think the lamestream media woman helpfully pointed out that the GOP has been outvoted 5 times since 1992 in Presidential elections. Simply put, people aren't on board with banning abortion even in the case of rape or incest (Paul and Cruz' positions), cutting taxes on the 1% (every GOP'ers position) or going back to war in the Middle East (Bush's position). I'm not sure how they get around all of that.

While I'm speculating on Uncle Joe Biden since again Hillary is most likely the nominee, if you read the article there's 18 states + DC that have voted Dem in the last 6 elections. I don't see him losing any of those, and that gets him 242 electoral votes. Add NM, NV, and NH which have all swung Dem more recently and he's now at 257. Any combo of Virginia, or Ohio, or Florida, or Colorado + Iowa, gets him over the top. A potted plant can get 250 votes for the Dems. I know this because we nominated one in 2004, and that's what he ended up with.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Obviously Hillary probably has the nomination wrapped up, but I think that would be so hilarious to run Joe Biden for President. It would be well worth it for the entertainment value alone to get him up on a stage. We should start up a groundswell of support for ol' Joe.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            Obviously Hillary probably has the nomination wrapped up, but I think that would be so hilarious to run Joe Biden for President. It would be well worth it for the entertainment value alone to get him up on a stage. We should start up a groundswell of support for ol' Joe.
                            Not enough characters left in politics. Too many stiffs. I'd love to see him in a debate with Cruz/Paul/Walker, where they start in about doom and gloom and impending apocalypse, where Joe interrupts them and says have a beer and stop your ******ing.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              First lets get this out of the way!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ry-116432.html (ducks Kepler's disapproving glare )

Second, there was a fascinating discussion on NPR last night where they had an Iowa conservative activist, a GOP pollster and some woman from the lamestream media on talking about the primaries. The gist of it was that each Republican who announces represents their own faction, but there doesn't seem to be a plan to broaden their appeal to either the other factions or the general electorate. Case in point nowhere apparently in the Cruz or Paul announcements was an emphasis on the economy, which is the primary concern of voters. The Activist guy, after trashing Bush and saying he has no support outside of the media (kudos for honesty ) stated that what suburban Chicago families want from a candidate is irrelevant right now. That's like a Final Four matchup when we're still in the round of 64. Rather its who appeals to the righties in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. This I think is a good point, but its also a fatal flaw in the GOP nominating process. You will have to go really hard right, or BE a fundie, to win these primaries and that screws you in the general. I think the lamestream media woman helpfully pointed out that the GOP has been outvoted 5 times since 1992 in Presidential elections. Simply put, people aren't on board with banning abortion even in the case of rape or incest (Paul and Cruz' positions), cutting taxes on the 1% (every GOP'ers position) or going back to war in the Middle East (Bush's position). I'm not sure how they get around all of that.

While I'm speculating on Uncle Joe Biden since again Hillary is most likely the nominee, if you read the article there's 18 states + DC that have voted Dem in the last 6 elections. I don't see him losing any of those, and that gets him 242 electoral votes. Add NM, NV, and NH which have all swung Dem more recently and he's now at 257. Any combo of Virginia, or Ohio, or Florida, or Colorado + Iowa, gets him over the top. A potted plant can get 250 votes for the Dems. I know this because we nominated one in 2004, and that's what he ended up with.
                              I'm not disapproving. Remember Betteridge's law.

I agree with the analyst re: the early GOP primary strategy: the key is to lock down your personal base. There will be time to expand later in primary season after the herd has thinned. Let's take a hypothetical theocon candidate (HTC). His job through Super Tuesday is to kill off all the other theocons. Resources are scarce early, so he shouldn't be spending any time slagging corporate cons or libertarians -- let those factions shake themselves out. Our HTC accomplishes nothing if he drives up his support marginally among those factions if he loses ground on his theocon rivals, not to mention that the emerging champion from those other factions will probably pull that support back by the mid-game.

Right now the non-joke candidates for the factions look like:

Corporate Con ("The 1% deserve more!"): Walker, Christie
                              Theocon ("Gays to the closet, women to the kitchen!"): Santorum, Cruz, Huckabee, Perry
                              Libertarian ("Taxation is theft!"): Rand, Ryan
                              Neocon ("Torture, torture, torture!!!"): Jeb, Rubio
                              Cornell University

Comment

This is why I think Paul has nowhere to go. He has no large base (libertarians are vocal but small), he's not from a key state or region, and he can't out run Cruz to the right or out crazy him which is saying something. Iowa + New Hampshire are going to decide his fate pretty quickly. If he can't with either of those, he most likely hangs around due to his father's network of activists in a lot of states and access to non-Aldersen/Koch/etc money, but he's toast for the nomination. The far right has too many other choices (Cruz/Walker) who come off as far less weird.

Leaving Iowa to the nutters (Walker/Cruz/Paul) to fight it out, I'm guessing Bush bypasses it altogether and concentrates on New Hampshire, which is going to be a super interesting primary. That is where both Paul and Bush need to make their stand. Somebody's going home desperate after those results come in.

Comment

Working...
                                X