Minnesota Women's Hockey Off-Season 2015: #BASK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey Off-Season 2015: #BASK

Okay, I for one have had my fill of coaching discussions. Does practice start soon?

I have perhaps a somewhat irrational concern about the Gophers possible decline in their defensive corps height in the next two years. For going on 10 years now they have had at least one player on defense that was 6 feet tall and usually a couple that were close to that. As a rather nervous fan, it has been comforting to see those tall defenders looming behind the Gopher net or towering over their opponents in the corners and then taking those long strides down the ice. I know, I know. Probably the best defensive player the Gophers ever had was 5-9, so maybe it shouldn't be a concern. I was pleased to see on the USA hockey website that 5-8 Sophie Skarzinski lists as one of her role models Megan Bozek. Good choice.

The other concern for me is getting more scoring from their 2nd and 3rd lines than was exhibited toward the end of this past season.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-14-2015, 02:30 AM. Reason: typo
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
      Okay, I for one have had my fill of coaching discussions. Does practice start soon?

I have perhaps a somewhat irrational concern about the Gophers possible decline in their defensive corps height in the next two years. For going on 10 years now they have had at least one player on defense that was 6 feet tall and usually a couple that were close to that.
      . . .
      The other concern for me is getting more scoring from their 2nd and 3rd lines than was exhibited toward the end of this past season.
      Heh, a couple of years ago I thought they had one of those amusement park signs, "YOU MUST BE THIS TALL TO PLAY D FOR GWH" that was 5'10" high. It was fun while it lasted.

If predictions are right next years 2nd line could give the 1st line a run to see who gets more points. The 3rd has potential for sure but I don't know anything about Gunderson & Smith so I can't hazard a guess how the 4th with play.

Comment

Probably the best defensive player the Gophers ever had was 5-9, so maybe it shouldn't be a concern.
        Winny Brodt was listed at 5' 5". While height is a nice starting point for a prototypical defenseman, if she can skate well enough, a lack of height doesn't matter all that much. Winny's lack of size seemed to hinder her a bit in games versus Canada, but it never seemed to be that much of an issue in the college game. Melanie Gagnon was also 5' 5" and was WCHA DPotY as a senior. IMO, height is trumped by attributes such as decision making, puck-handling ability, mobility, and strength on skates. Height is kind of like a booming slap shot -- very nice to have, but there are other ways to get the job done. Neither Stecklein nor Baldwin unload too many slappers, but they both have excellent wrist shots, and one sees far fewer whiffs on wristers.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Winny Brodt was listed at 5' 5". While height is a nice starting point for a prototypical defenseman, if she can skate well enough, a lack of height doesn't matter all that much. Winny's lack of size seemed to hinder her a bit in games versus Canada, but it never seemed to be that much of an issue in the college game.
          It does seem, though, that the women's game has gotten quite a bit more physical, even as compared to six or seven years ago when I started to watch in earnest. I agree with all your other points, but would add that height also gives those who have it extra reach, which comes in very handy when knocking the puck off of forwards sticks from several feet away. But as you note players of average height who possess all of those other skills can still be top players.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Brad as coach of the year and hockey as women's team of the year at the Goldys.

Comment

Yes, Brodt and Gagnon were both great players defensively and still would be today. We'd get a kick out of Melanie showing up at The Hole a couple hours after the game to pick up a pizza to go. "Great game Melanie" was always the shout out. My wife says I liked her partly because I enjoyed pronouncing her name. True.

But to D2D's point that the game has gotten a lot more physical since the days of Winny Brodt and it's nice to have all those other attributes mentioned and size and reach as well. Mira was especially adept at poke checking the puck away with her long reach.

It's an obviously faulty comparison but height challenged Mick Tinglehoff and Fran Tarkington both had great decision making, ball-handling ability, mobility and strength on cleats, but all that was trumped by a giant Pittsburgh defensive line that left Mick sucking air on the sidelines and Fran getting his passes batted down in the Super Bowl.
              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 04-14-2015, 12:53 PM. Reason: an addition

Comment

Congratulations Coach Frost and Gopher players!! Well deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  Maryanne Menefee-Hannah Brandt- Dani Cameranesi,
                  Kate Schipper- Kelly Pannek -Sarah Potomak
                  Taylor Williamson- Cara Piazza, -Nina Rodgers/Brook Garzone,
                  Paige Haley- Tianna Gunderson-Sierra Smith

Are we loaded for bear?

Tonight is the Golden Goldys-GWH should at least win Best Women's Team!
                  And I want Hannah over Amanda ZB (actually anyone)
                  Hmmm, has Miss Kessell been written off?

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    do you mean Amanda Kessel?
                    c'mon, you'll get them using the Dynasty word again

Height allows the blueliner to give the offensive player more room which gives them more time to react and also make the play with their longer reach. It also allows them to carry the puck farther from their body making it difficult for the opponent to poke it away. How many time last year did you see Stecklein carrying the puck from behind the Gopher net with an opponent in hot pursuit who could not get at the puck? If I had to pick a single reason for their success over the last four year it would be their D, and more specifically tall skilled defenders.

Consequently, the big loss IMO is Ramsey, but with Stecklein & McMillen the Gophers have an excellent foundation (perhaps an understatement given they are both All-Americans), and unless it is a requirement of “The Process” I am looking forward to an entire season at D from Wolfe. With a year of experience behind Baldwin, and two for Cline, it is not like they will be hurting back at the blue line.

It will be interesting to see what the lineup of forwards will eventually be next year. There is reason to be optimistic the scoring won’t be so dependant on the 1st line next year. For most of the season when Garzone gained possession of the puck she looked to pass, over the last half dozen games she started to take the puck to the net and showed some impressive moves, hopefully she’ll continue that next fall and through the rest of the year. IMO, it is as much for the Gopher coaches and team mates to figure out how to utilze Schipper’s speed as it is for Kate. She could be a real scoring machine. And obviously Piazza & Pannek had impressive freshman years. It will be interesting to see where they take it next year.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      do you mean Amanda Kessel?
                      c'mon, you'll get them using the Dynasty word again

Height allows the blueliner to give the offensive player more room which gives them more time to react and also make the play with their longer reach. It also allows them to carry the puck farther from their body making it difficult for the opponent to poke it away. How many time last year did you see Stecklein carrying the puck from behind the Gopher net with an opponent in hot pursuit who could not get at the puck? If I had to pick a single reason for their success over the last four year it would be their D, and more specifically tall skilled defenders.
                      Agree with this 100% and with the sentiments regarding the significance of that advantage per the impact on the teams success throughout the last four years. I made the very same observation to fellow GWH fan at the championship game. Reach is a huge advantage when it comes to gathering up passes that aren't right on the mark as well. Particularly valuable at / near the blueline on offense.

I went looking briefly, but couldn't find any physical / height info for Marshall or Robinson. The discussion made me curious about their stature.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Written off is a little strong for me, but I am assuming she won't be back.

I have a % in my head of how likely I think it is that she will return. It's greater than zero but not high.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          Agree with this 100% and with the sentiments regarding the significance of that advantage per the impact on the teams success throughout the last four years. I made the very same observation to fellow GWH fan at the championship game. Reach is a huge advantage when it comes to gathering up passes that aren't right on the mark as well. Particularly valuable at / near the blueline on offense.

I went looking briefly, but couldn't find any physical / height info for Marshall or Robinson. The discussion made me curious about their stature.
                          I also agree with the sentiment that height gives the D an advantage (although I suspect strength is the real advantage). At the time they committed, Marshall was listed as 5' 7" and Robinson was 5' 10". Don't know if there has been any growth since then...

Comment

I love lists so....

Number 1 Reasons Why:

Gophers record the past 4 years.....Tall, stellar defensive corps.

Undefeated season in 2013.....Noora Raty.

Winning Nattys in 04 and 05.....Greatest line in the history of women's hockey.

Winning in 2000.....Wasn't there, wouldn't be prudent to speculate, but, Killewald and Muzerall?

Comment

Just one for Hauser. Travis Weber was in goal in '03. I agree with everything else you said though. It's tough to be a goalie, especially some nights at Mariucci if you were Adam Hauser. At least he got some redemption in the Maine game. I still have his photo from the Star Tribune on the wall in the hockey room showing him throwing his stick in the air at the end of the game. Maybe as a reminder anyone can be redeemed or maybe I'm a little masochistic. He was a trial some nights.
                              A trip down memory lane with Hauser in 2002 showing the highs and lows he had in the Frozen Four against Michigan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDwWQJPlZrY
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

on the flip side, forwards are getting taller
                                that's probably the main thing, how do your D match up to the opponents F
                                and your F to their D

I noticed many of the NCAA tourney opposing D, especially the "better" ones were small, some only 5-2

Comment

Working...
                                X