Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Milwaukee Brewers, Back to Back Champions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Milwaukee Brewers, Back to Back Champions!

Originally posted by jen View Post
    Kind of shocked, with the odd timing (guessing they did not have a replacement worked out until yesterday).

I think it's a "can't fire the whole team" decision and something obviously has to change. I liked Roenicke and his style of play, though, and I couldn't point out one thing in particular that led to their record over the last 100 games that was his fault.

Someone (can't remember who) tweeted that it will not be an interim manager - multi-year deal in place.

It will be very interesting to see what changes are made with the lineup and the new manager. Seems like they are going to follow the current trend of former players with no managerial experience in Counsell. I like that he's spent the last few years getting his feet wet in the front office, though.

Matchups for the LA series:
    Tonight: Kershaw vs. Lohse
    Tue: Greinke vs. Garza
    Wed: Frias (who?) vs. Peralta
    Thu: TBA (was going to be Scott Baker, who got DFAed) vs. Fiers
    Doug Melvin has got to be sweating because they just signed Roenicke to the one year extension in Spring Training on the hopes that the players would get comfortable/confidant that Roenicke was their guy. The team never really did respond well to that. Melvin's contract is up next (and he deferred discussing his just to get Roenicke's done).

Not really sure it's his fault, and he was the fourth winning-est manager in Brewers history. Odd timing, but I saw in a JS-Online piece that the decision had been made on the road trip already, and even winning back-to-back games couldn't save his job.

Not sure how I feel about Counsell taking the helm. The recent trend of "former player of the team turned coach" haven't done well this season... Paul Molitor with the Twins (hired in 2015), Robin Ventura with the White Sox (hired in 2012). Only Brad Ausmus with the Tigers (hired in 2013) has done decently.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Only Brad Ausmus with the Tigers (hired in 2013) has done decently.
      and as much as it pains me to say it, Mike Matheny.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Doug Melvin has got to be sweating because they just signed Roenicke to the one year extension in Spring Training on the hopes that the players would get comfortable/confidant that Roenicke was their guy. The team never really did respond well to that. Melvin's contract is up next (and he deferred discussing his just to get Roenicke's done).

Not really sure it's his fault, and he was the fourth winning-est manager in Brewers history. Odd timing, but I saw in a JS-Online piece that the decision had been made on the road trip already, and even winning back-to-back games couldn't save his job.

Not sure how I feel about Counsell taking the helm. The recent trend of "former player of the team turned coach" haven't done well this season... Paul Molitor with the Twins (hired in 2015), Robin Ventura with the White Sox (hired in 2012). Only Brad Ausmus with the Tigers (hired in 2013) has done decently.
        You might want to check in on Molitor again, they had been awful the last 3 seasons and last time I checked they're above .500 right now...way above projected.
        Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 05-04-2015, 09:30 AM.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Counsell is official. 3 year deal. That is a lot of confidence in a guy with no managerial experience.

Comment

I think Roenicke was pretty mediocre and some of his decisions in the series vs the Cardinals in 2011 were costly imo. That said I'm not really sure he deserves the brunt of the blame for what happened last year and the start of this year. But obviously Doug Melvin isn't gonna fire himself so he has to make it look like he's doing something.

Comment

They have been playing so sloppy all season, 2 to 3 dropped balls yesterday lone, and they came out of the gate 100% flat, that is on the manager. If Braun bats .250 all year only a needle or pill could save them. The 3 yr deal is not a shock just because they can fire him anytime they want. I really want to hear what Mr. Owner has to say about this.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Your first Craig Counsell lineup, featuring the Double Gomez:

C Gomez
                Rogers
                Braun
                Ramirez
                Davis
                Maldonado
                Herrera
                H Gomez
                Lohse

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  They have been playing so sloppy all season, 2 to 3 dropped balls yesterday lone, and they came out of the gate 100% flat, that is on the manager. If Braun bats .250 all year only a needle or pill could save them. The 3 yr deal is not a shock just because they can fire him anytime they want. I really want to hear what Mr. Owner has to say about this.
                  Yeah I could see it providing a temporary boost but the problems with this team run deeper obviously.

Comment

Break up the Crew!

Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                    Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                    sigpic
                    Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                    1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

The Double Gomez strikes again. Or should it be Two-Headed Gomez? I can't decide.

Early on, it looked like every other game this year. Base running mistakes. Miscues in the field. Missed opportunities. But then they came back and it WASN'T like every other game.

Comment

OK, time for the next manager.

Comment

"Juuuust a bit inside!"

Brewers broadcaster and funnyman Bob Uecker was locked in the radio booth at Miller Park when the door handle broke during the sixth inning against the Dodgers Wednesday night.

The 80-year-old known for his wit was trapped and, of course, made a joke out of it.

"People who are listening to the ballgame, I know what you're thinking: 'He's ready for the (nursing) home. He's cooked. It’s finally happened. He's seeing ladders and doors without handles."
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

guess who doesn't have the worst record in baseball anymore!

Comment

Jean Segura to the DL with a broken pinky. I am unreasonably devastated by this news. Luis Sardinas called up.

Matchups for the Mets series:

Tonight: Lohse vs. the Invincible Bartolo Colon
                              Saturday: Garza vs. deGrom
                              Sunday: Peralta vs. Syndergaard

At least they miss Harvey.

then they get to face Detroit and Atlanta!

Comment

Watching Bartolo bat is always a good time

Comment

Working...
                                X