Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Milwaukee Brewers, Back to Back Champions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Milwaukee Brewers, Back to Back Champions!

I have yet to watch a moment of Brewers baseball this season. This has never happened before. I can't remember the last opening day I missed let alone 2.5 weeks of the season.

It started as I was out of the country for the first week of the season and then when I got home, I had other things going on and their crappy start didn't exactly make me want to make time for them.

Have to say I'm rather enjoying their season more than I'd have thought possible considering how they're doing.

I'm guessing I'll have to ruin that by actually watching at some point...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I have yet to watch a moment of Brewers baseball this season. This has never happened before. I can't remember the last opening day I missed let alone 2.5 weeks of the season.

It started as I was out of the country for the first week of the season and then when I got home, I had other things going on and their crappy start didn't exactly make me want to make time for them.

Have to say I'm rather enjoying their season more than I'd have thought possible considering how they're doing.

I'm guessing I'll have to ruin that by actually watching at some point...
      I'm so thankful that being minnesota I'm extremely thankful that I didn't purchase mlb.tv package yet and now I don't see the point.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        I'm so thankful that being minnesota I'm extremely thankful that I didn't purchase mlb.tv package yet and now I don't see the point.

It's one thing to watch/follow a struggling team in other sports.

Baseball is a whole other deal as the losses can (and do) happen every day. It gets to be quite punishing...

Comment

um, I should be clear that when I said I hadn't watched a Brewers game in 2 weeks, it's because I'm recovering from a concussion and I can't watch TV. Not because of how they're playing. That has never been a variable that matters to me, even a little bit. I've listened to every single game on the radio.

The Double Clutch stand isn't on the Club level either, unless there is some link between an Apple-Brie Panini thingy and Cincinnati that I don't know about. We also noticed the cheese fries thing - but I didn't walk around to see where they moved.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
            um, I should be clear that when I said I hadn't watched a Brewers game in 2 weeks, it's because I'm recovering from a concussion and I can't watch TV. Not because of how they're playing. That has never been a variable that matters to me, even a little bit. I've listened to every single game on the radio.

I'm not avoiding them because of the level of play. I was more commenting on my surprise at myself that I haven't seen anything yet. It's unprecedented.

Just haven't been motivated to seek them out just yet as I was on a trip and when I got home there were Blackhawks games to watch, my kid has had 4 lacrosse games and I've had my own hockey to play.

Of course, that said, If they were tearing it up, I'd have found time and be dvr'ing.

I'll get to them... probably this weekend.

Comment

Thinking about it, I've not been watching as much as I was last year. Caught a couple of the day games on the XM radio on the way home from work, and maybe watched a game or two on MLB.tv but that's it.

Not sure what's wrong with the team. I'd love to pinpoint one area, but there just isn't. It's almost as if it's "Pitching / Fielding / Hitting, Pick only two."

Is Ron Roenicke the problem? I don't think so. He's the fourth winning bench boss in Brewers history (not including Sveum's 13 game stint in 2008). He's wrung out a lot from what the team has given him.

Is it Doug Melvin? I don't know too many GM's who can assemble a competitive roster with the tight financial constraints; but the checkbook seemed to be more open the past few years and there hasn't been much to show for it.

Is it the bullpen and hitting coaches? I did hear an interesting tidbit that said the Brewers were last in the league in "Strikeouts Looking" for 2014, and they were leading the league in 2015. Garza's made some tin-foil hat speculation that the pitchers are tipping their pitches and need to fix that.

What a weird start to the season.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

No Braun, no Ramirez, no Maldonado - no problem. Baseball is a funny game. Brewers beat the Cardinals using only 3 of their regular starters. Sounded like Fiers got in a lot of trouble - but got out of it. Jeffress pitched well again.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Is it Doug Melvin? I don't know too many GM's who can assemble a competitive roster with the tight financial constraints; but the checkbook seemed to be more open the past few years and there hasn't been much to show for it.
                  Oakland and TB have done a better job of consistently fielding a competitive team imo. I think we're seeing the results of the win now moves in 2011 and now we have an old mediocre team without much (above league average) pitching talent. I get why we traded for Marcum in 2011 but come playoff time that move basically blew up in our face unfortunately, given that it was the highest amount of innings he ever threw in a season. Don't do that and we likely still have Brett Lawrie. The Greinke move got rid of a bunch of young talent including Odorizzi, in the end I can't really disagree with that move though.

I think the Brewers need to look at rebuilding and stop deluding themselves into thinking this roster (or even last year's) was good enough to win the division. Doug might be the guy to do it but I'm becoming skeptical. Just too many bad moves during his tenure and not enough consistency in terms of drafting or developing young talent, especially at the mound.
                  Last edited by trixR4kids; 04-27-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Good news! Ryan Braun hits his second dinger of the season!

Bad news! Brewers ring up their 17th "L" of the young season.

Team isn't quitting. Of the last nine games, they've scored at least one run in the last three innings in five of those games (11 runs scored total in the last three innings of those five games).

Just need to stop digging a hole first.
                    Last edited by aparch; 04-28-2015, 10:21 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Good news!

Ryan Braun hit his third and fourth dingers of the season!
                      Carlos Gomez will likely be back this weekend!
                      Off day today!

Comment

@120Sports: JUST IN: The @Brewers have fired manager Ron Roenicke. He was 341-331 in five years in Milwaukee. http://***********/120Sports/status/...553920/photo/1
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Ken Rosenthal tweeted that Brewers have hired Counsell.

Figures. First two game winning streak and first series win of the season and they fire the manager.
                          Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                          Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                          sigpic
                          Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                          1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

I watched today for the first time.

I guess I saw Ron's final game.

Shoulda just gotten it out of the way after the collapse last year.

Comment

I was at Wrigley in 2010 on Lou Piniella's last game. Now I was at Wrigley for Roenicke's last game.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Kind of shocked, with the odd timing (guessing they did not have a replacement worked out until yesterday).

I think it's a "can't fire the whole team" decision and something obviously has to change. I liked Roenicke and his style of play, though, and I couldn't point out one thing in particular that led to their record over the last 100 games that was his fault.

Someone (can't remember who) tweeted that it will not be an interim manager - multi-year deal in place.

It will be very interesting to see what changes are made with the lineup and the new manager. Seems like they are going to follow the current trend of former players with no managerial experience in Counsell. I like that he's spent the last few years getting his feet wet in the front office, though.

Matchups for the LA series:
                                Tonight: Kershaw vs. Lohse
                                Tue: Greinke vs. Garza
                                Wed: Frias (who?) vs. Peralta
                                Thu: TBA (was going to be Scott Baker, who got DFAed) vs. Fiers
                                Last edited by jen; 05-04-2015, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X