This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

A nice Bronze medal game for two former and one current Terrier. Bonino with Player of the Game for his 1G, 1A effort. Coyle with a big goal and Eichel with a beautiful assist.

A pretty remarkable result given the roster. Hopefully this gets some bigger names to go over in future years.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      A nice Bronze medal game for two former and one current Terrier. Bonino with Player of the Game for his 1G, 1A effort. Coyle with a big goal and Eichel with a beautiful assist.
      http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...t-reel-assist/

Eichel was Team USA’s #3 scorer and if he had any questions about whether he’s ready to play against NHL talent, they’ve been resolved.
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        Kind of tough for a guy who scored six goals as a freshman to come back and only play four games.
        Exactly, but at the same rate, who were you going to sit in favor of him? And over the next two seasons, whose spot does he get? He has good size and positioning skills, but needs a lot of work on his skating and his shot. Hopefully he can get some PT with Quinnipiac. Pecknold's a solid coach, that's a good situation for him to excel. Best of luck to him, hope he does well.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
          Kind of tough for a guy who scored six goals as a freshman to come back and only play four games.
          Duane may have been the slowest skater that I have seen over five decades watching BU hockey.
          But he is a big body, with soft hands in front of the net, hustles and can (eventually) get into good positions.
          The talent level of last year's team just zoomed past him.
          I wish him well at Quinnipiac, and hope that he continues to work on his skating.

Comment

Yeah, of the 4 guys who took a back seat this year without leaving (Duane, Lawrence, Kelley, Ryan), he's the only one I remember getting a game or two in this past season - although I think TJ Ryan did get one in. Duane showed some skill and I'm glad to see he has found a new home I wonder what the other guys will do.
            They are all depth players at best, and played much too much in 2013-14. Collier could be added to that list.

Kelley is a bit lightweight, but can skate and still has potential. Lawrence was a walk-on, good size, reasonable spare part. Ryan is a legacy; scares me on defense but hustles and can be a bottom three checking forward if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
              They are all depth players at best, and played much too much in 2013-14. Collier could be added to that list.

Kelley is a bit lightweight, but can skate and still has potential. Lawrence was a walk-on, good size, reasonable spare part. Ryan is a legacy; scares me on defense but hustles and can be a bottom three checking forward if necessary.
              Is Ryan's on-ice future clouded by the effects of a concussion? Seem to remember hearing so.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                Is Ryan's on-ice future clouded by the effects of a concussion? Seem to remember hearing so.
                I don't remember him having a concussion, but I could be wrong. That said, of the six D who skated this year, Ryan would be a massive downgrade from any one of them. Not to mention the additions coming in this season. Perhaps he could find a spot as a fourth-liner, but I have difficulty seeing him, or any of the remaining fall '13 class (save Robbie) cracking the lineup without serious injury/departures.

I do hope Duane can succeed at QU, of the kids from that class who all essentially got passed over this year, he has the most upside with his size and hands. But defkit was right, his skating is an enormous crutch for him. If he can improve that, he'll get consistent ice time.

That said, that class has been through just about every level of success and failure in their first two years and could be valuable assets in the locker room for the newer kids, if they're willing to accept roles as more or less the practice squad.
                Last edited by brassbonanza; 05-20-2015, 07:05 PM.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                  http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...t-reel-assist/

Eichel was Team USA’s #3 scorer and if he had any questions about whether he’s ready to play against NHL talent, they’ve been resolved.
                  good, can he please leave school now?

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                    good, can he please leave school now?
                    no no no. still have some questions about the kid. prolly needs at least another season of seasoned growth in the college ranks.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      I have difficulty seeing him, or any of the remaining fall '13 class (save Robbie) cracking the lineup without serious injury/departures.
                      I think you forgot about Somerby and Roberto.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        no no no. still have some questions about the kid. prolly needs at least another season of seasoned growth in the college ranks.
                        Based on what we have heard over the course of his first year, and given the success, I have to think that a part of him is saying "I want to do this again. I'm only flippin' 18 years old, I'm not really that excited to play against 30 year old men and give up all this fun I've been having. Why can't it wait for a year?"
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Based on what we have heard over the course of his first year, and given the success, I have to think that a part of him is saying "I want to do this again. I'm only flippin' 18 years old, I'm not really that excited to play against 30 year old men and give up all this fun I've been having. Why can't it wait for a year?"
                          After that tournament, any tiny hope that I had that he may stay has vanished. I, for one, am 100% convinced he is gone. Yes, he could build some more muscle and work on a couple of things that another year in college may benefit. However, I think Buffalo is going to be very comfortable with presenting Eichel with a top rookie contract and I don't see anyone (unless they are already filthy rich) delaying accepting that. He loves playing for BU but I can't see him trading that to be not paid and have to take classes all year. If he stayed one more year he is still not going to graduate so I don't see academics as a pull. He's gone.

Comment

Though....I wonder if the coaching situation will have any bearing. Meaning, if they had signed Babcock. Would that make a difference? I know they'll hire one before the season but would you want to make that decision if you don't know who your "boss" is going to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                              Duane may have been the slowest skater that I have seen over five decades watching BU hockey.
                              But he is a big body, with soft hands in front of the net, hustles and can (eventually) get into good positions.
                              The talent level of last year's team just zoomed past him.
                              I wish him well at Quinnipiac, and hope that he continues to work on his skating.
                              Slower than Mike Pandolfo? Or, worse, Brian McConnell?

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                                Slower than Mike Pandolfo? Or, worse, Brian McConnell?
                                yes & yes
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X