North Dakota announces name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Dakota announces name.

What's another school that uses Roughriders?

We could finally have a renewal of the Roughriders-Roughriders football game.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Grand Forks Red River High School uses the nickname. That is the only negative I think it has. But most people do not even realize that, so it's not that big of a negative. It is by far the best nickname and I hope it is chosen.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        Grand Forks Red River High School uses the nickname. That is the only negative I think it has. But most people do not even realize that, so it's not that big of a negative. It is by far the best nickname and I hope it is chosen.
        I like the name as well. Ceder Rapids uses it in the USHL too, I look forward to seeing all the Teddy Roosevelt costumes.
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I don't see why anyone thinks those three will draw objection.

Explorers is probably as generic a name as you can find, and is stupid in my opinion.

As for Cavalry, if the U.S. Army is still using it without objection, I'm not sure why people will come after UND for using it.
          The Ironic/ballsy part of these names is the Explorers came to "discover" the land the fore bearers of those objecting to the former name were already living on and then the U.S. Cavalry almost exterminated them.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I don't see why anyone thinks those three will draw objection.
            You are correct, no rational person SHOULD object to those three under normal circumstances. HOWEVER... when you put them into the context of what has happened over the last few years, they are poor choices. They are either being considered to thumb their noses as those that wanted Sioux removed or just plain ignorance of what started this whole mess in the beginning. Heck, why not just go with Fighting Redskins or Battling Blackhawks and go back to the old jersey design? That works in the NFL and NHL so it shouldn't be a problem in college hockey, right?

Roughriders and their conflict with the Spanish, certainly won't be an issue since there are no people of Spanish / Hispanic descent left in the US...
            Remember reading in your history books about all those Explorers that had no interactions with Native Americans and how their way of life remained unchanged for hundreds of years...
            And certainly the use of Cavalry won't stir up any stories of conflicts with Native Americans on the Great Plains...

Ryan J

Along those lines... Hey, remember when we found that hornets nest and got stung a bunch of times? I don't see any hornets left now it seems pretty quiet. Just to be sure, let's poke it with a nickname stick and make sure they are all gone now and not angry any more...
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 06-11-2015, 02:07 PM.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              You are correct, no rational person SHOULD object to those three under normal circumstances. HOWEVER... when you put them into the context of what has happened over the last few years, they are poor choices. They are either being considered to thumb their noses as those that wanted Sioux removed or just plain ignorance of what started this whole mess in the beginning. Heck, why not just go with Fighting Redskins or Battling Blackhawks and go back to the old jersey design? That works in the NFL and NHL so it shouldn't be a problem in college hockey, right?

Roughriders and their conflict with the Spanish, certainly won't be an issue since there are no people of Spanish / Hispanic descent left in the US...
              Remember reading in your history books about all those Explorers that had no interactions with Native Americans and how their way of life remained unchanged for hundreds of years...
              And certainly the use of Cavalry won't stir up any stories of conflicts with Native Americans on the Great Plains...

Ryan J

Along those lines... Hey, remember when we found that hornets nest and got stung a bunch of times? I don't see any hornets left now it seems pretty quiet. Just to be sure, let's poke it with a nickname stick and make sure they are all gone now and not angry any more...
              First, no one has objected to those names as far as I know.

Second, under your theory the people who are objecting to the Washington Redskins should also be objecting to the Dallas Cowboys. Or how about the Patriots, they were killing plenty of native americans in their day.

Your posts, imho, are silly.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So what in your expert opinion should UND do? They evidently can't have a nickname based on people because everything is terribly offensive. They can't have a nickname based on animals because everyone has nicknames based on animals. They can't have a nickname based on some inanimate object/idea because those are all just lame. They can't have no nickname because then they are just de facto the Fighting Sioux. So what should they do? No one will ever be happy and someone will always complain. But why should UND not be allowed to pick a nickname based on their relate geography and what is thought of the region where they are located? Because some people who didn't like the previous nickname also don't like this one? So only they get to decide? Well in that case why the hell have we wasted the last however many god**** years with this problem? Let's just ask the people who didn't like the Sioux nickname what they want, since they are all that matters? Oh, they aren't all that matters? Other people's opinions matter too? But only when they don't conflict with the opinions of the people who didn't like the old nickname? If not, please explain to me exactly what it is.

I am almost as tired of people telling UND how they can't do this or be named that because of [insert reason here] as I am of the overall nickname fiasco. Seriously, what the hell should UND do? Everyone, no matter what side they are on, seems to b^tch and whine and complain every goddam step of the way. What the hell is the magical solution then? And then they complain about how long this whole thing is taking. Well what the hell do you expect when everything ever done is wrong. Complain about everything and how everyone opinion needs to be heard (or is it only certain people's opinions? I can't remember.) and then when that happens complain about how what those people think is terrible and stupid.
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

So what in your expert opinion should UND do? They evidently can't have a nickname based on people because everything is terribly offensive. They can't have a nickname based on animals because everyone has nicknames based on animals. They can't have a nickname based on some inanimate object/idea because those are all just lame. They can't have no nickname because then they are just de facto the Fighting Sioux. So what should they do? No one will ever be happy and someone will always complain. But why should UND not be allowed to pick a nickname based on their relate geography and what is thought of the region where they are located? Because some people who didn't like the previous nickname also don't like this one? So only they get to decide? Well in that case why the hell have we wasted the last however many god**** years with this problem? Let's just ask the people who didn't like the Sioux nickname what they want, since they are all that matters? Oh, they aren't all that matters? Other people's opinions matter too? But only when they don't conflict with the opinions of the people who didn't like the old nickname? If not, please explain to me exactly what it is.

I am almost as tired of people telling UND how they can't do this or be named that because of [insert reason here] as I am of the overall nickname fiasco. Seriously, what the hell should UND do? Everyone, no matter what side they are on, seems to b^tch and whine and complain every goddam step of the way. What the hell is the magical solution then? And then they complain about how long this whole thing is taking. Well what the hell do you expect when everything ever done is wrong. Complain about everything and how everyone opinion needs to be heard (or is it only certain people's opinions? I can't remember.) and then when that happens complain about how what those people think is terrible and stupid.
                  A serious well thought out post by Dirty? Lacking completely in personal attacks... So very confused...

I do feel bad for UND (and that's hard to do) here, nothing they do here will be liked by their fans.
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

North Dakota can pick whatever mascot they want, but maybe it's a bad idea to consider a mascot that tried to exterminate your old mascot.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

North Dakota can pick whatever mascot they want, but maybe it's a bad idea to consider a mascot that tried to exterminate your old mascot.
                      Which is why I think Cavalry isn't going to make the next round. Roughriders and Explorers didn't expressly do that. If some goofballs want to twist things around and connect those two nicknames to the extermination of Native Americans, well then the hell with it all. No nickname is perfect, but Roughriders and Explorers are close to being the best of the bunch as they don't try to shoehorn Green or Fighting into the nickname and unlike a few of the other options, they are clearly defined and marketable.
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

go with no nickname. that way some will call them North Dakota, some Nodaks, and all hockey fans Fighting Sue.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Yavapai College, a JC, around Prescott AZ
                          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

So what in your expert opinion should UND do?
                            North Dakota "Green". I don't feel that colors will become non-PC for at least 30-40 years, so Harvard and UND should be safe until then. By that time ethnic nicknames will be cool again and UND can just go back to their previous name. Put together a huge recycling program at the Ralph and donate the proceeds to local reservations. Here is a prototype jersey design I threw together...
                            Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              North Dakota "Green". I don't feel that colors will become non-PC for at least 30-40 years, so Harvard and UND should be safe until then. By that time ethnic nicknames will be cool again and UND can just go back to their previous name. Put together a huge recycling program at the Ralph and donate the proceeds to local reservations. Here is a prototype jersey design I threw together...
                              Ryan J

Being a collector of jerseys, I'd have thought you'd be able to differentiate between a jersey and a t-shirt. Guess not.
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Being a collector of jerseys, I'd have thought you'd be able to differentiate between a jersey and a t-shirt. Guess not.
                                Maybe he's worried Dartmouth would sue.

Comment

Working...
                                X