2015 WCHA Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    That's certainly why the Alaska exemption was put into place, so you could get some more home revenue. Although, I do notice you could schedule one more series. Perhaps a non-ivy or Atlantic would consider adding in that free week in October? Maybe an exhibition (although not being close to Canada might make that tough)?
    Take the bye week instead. 36 games is enough. Players need an off week in November and February to get healthy

Comment

Re: 2015 WCHA Offseason

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      Take the bye week instead. 36 games is enough. Players need an off week in November and February to get healthy
      yes. 36 is enough.
      after this year's meh second half (with no off weeks after Xmas), surprised that BG is playing 38 next season.
      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        He's convinced that one of the reasons that Tech RUTS'd us last year is because the boys were exhausted after playing U-18.
        Playing a bunch of 17 year-olds really took the wind out of you guys, eh?

Comment

After the last two seasons, Mike Corbett's said that he doesn't want to play 36 games unless there's a compelling reason to do so. He's convinced that one of the reasons that Tech RUTS'd us last year is because the boys were exhausted after playing U-18. Could we schedule a tenth home date? Perhaps, but a big reason that we didn't get many NC dates in the CHA days is because people want lots of money to travel here.

GFM
          If the coach has mentioned that, then that's a fair assessment. It's disappointing to see that when we usually end up with Atlantic teams not being able to get a full schedule, but given the WCHA's setup, especially with some teams possibly having the ability to play 40 games, it's understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
            The 2000-01 season, and that needed us hosting the CHA Tournament.

We will gladly take their money. I just hope (and expect) that the games will be more competitive since the last visit to Grand Forks in 1989.
            Best wishes always to Mike and the UAH program for continued growth. I'm looking forward to visiting the first weekend of December!
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I had a great time at UAH last season (how many rinks have table service on the glass???) however I'm going to pick another new rink(s) this year for road trips as I still have several in the conference I have not visited.

The four potential targets in preference order would be 1A BGSU, 1B BSU, 2 FSU, 3 UAF if I really feel adventurous. UAF is lower on the list only because I did UAA last season and would rather do the UAA/UAF trip on back-to-back weekends if Tech can make that happen again down the road. FSU is just too early in the season. So it really comes down to a trip to see BGSU hockey and the Crease Creatures or BSU hockey and the in-laws in MN. Both could be equally crazy weekends...
              Ryan J
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Playing a bunch of 17 year-olds really took the wind out of you guys, eh?
                Playing some of the best hockey players that age, yeah ... did you see our upperclassmen last year? [Actually, no needed.]

And FlagDUDE08, yeah, I know how it is to not get a full schedule. The CHA was a 20-game conference, and getting more than two teams to come to Huntsville was an impossibility. We'd love to have some AH schools come, but those have to be 1-for-1 deals, right? Unless we take the Alaska exemption to make it worthwhile, we'd rather go to NoDak for a pay-date than back to the Dwyer. Insular conference scheduling really hurts D-I hockey, but the only "fix" for that is going to be NCAA control, which will happen on the 32nd of Neveruary. It just stinks.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Playing some of the best hockey players that age, yeah ... did you see our upperclassmen last year? [Actually, no needed.]

And FlagDUDE08, yeah, I know how it is to not get a full schedule. The CHA was a 20-game conference, and getting more than two teams to come to Huntsville was an impossibility. We'd love to have some AH schools come, but those have to be 1-for-1 deals, right? Unless we take the Alaska exemption to make it worthwhile, we'd rather go to NoDak for a pay-date than back to the Dwyer. Insular conference scheduling really hurts D-I hockey, but the only "fix" for that is going to be NCAA control, which will happen on the 32nd of Neveruary. It just stinks.

GFM
                  There's no such thing as "taking the Alaska exemption"; you get it whether you play your fully allotted games or not. Atlantic hardly ever gets 1-for-1 deals; they usually take what they get. I'm trying to think if AIC has had a home NC game recently...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    There's no such thing as "taking the Alaska exemption"; you get it whether you play your fully allotted games or not. Atlantic hardly ever gets 1-for-1 deals; they usually take what they get. I'm trying to think if AIC has had a home NC game recently...
                    I'm aware of the rule, thanks. UAH played twice in Alaska in 2013-14 and played 38 games, exempting all four games. We lost 35.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Re: 2015 WCHA Offseason

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      So it really comes down to a trip to see BGSU hockey and the Crease Creatures
                      BG is Bleacher Creatures. Wisco is Crease Creatures.

Speaking of the Bleacher Creatures, we're planning some trips as well. We'll go to Columbus, Kalamazoo, and Oxford for sure, with possible trips to the Soo over winter break and Huntsville over spring break.
                      BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                        BG is Bleacher Creatures. Wisco is Crease Creatures.

Speaking of the Bleacher Creatures, we're planning some trips as well. We'll go to Columbus, Kalamazoo, and Oxford for sure, with possible trips to the Soo over winter break and Huntsville over spring break.
                        What about the Misfits? That's always fun...

Comment

congrats to BG recruit Chris Pohlkamp and the Sioux Falls Stampede on winning the Clark Cup!
                          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

• Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                            congrats to BG recruit Chris Pohlkamp and the Sioux Falls Stampede on winning the Clark Cup!
                            And Dillon Eichstadt, a Bemidji State recruit!
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                              And Dillon Eichstadt, a Bemidji State recruit!
                              And Troy Loggins, playoff MVP and NMU recruit.

Comment

Any word on if the America One / Eversport / WCHA collaboration is continuing for a third year? After the hot out of the box start in 2013-14, 2014-15 started with a huge stumbling block that they worked hard to amend by the end of last season.

If the partnership continues, I do hope that continued upgrades are realized throughout the league. There seemed to be plenty of good and steady progress at the end of the season.

What I'd like to see most is an iTunes / Google Play app built around the video feeds. Especially if the new AppleTV coding allows for an app store as rumored. Airplay and streaming to set top boxes work okay, but having dedicated apps on them could/should allow for wider adoption of the WCHA.tv package.

We set the bar for streaming (that was broken by NCHC.tv), I'd like to see the WCHA reclaim the title as best college hockey streaming platform.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X