Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

I think a couple Harvard players recently got denied for their 5th year. Any idea if we'll know about Jimmy Davis sometime soon?

Comment

Michigan Tech has named Alex Petan and Cliff Watson as co-captains for this coming season.
      Mike Neville and Shane Hanna have been name alternates.

As for the NHL draft. It will be interesting to see if L'Esperance will be drafted. He is one of 4 current Huskies that is still draft eligible for 2015 along with Matt Roy, Evan Anderson and Alex Gillies. Based on everything I've seen and heard. Matt Roy seems to be the most likely of this group to be drafted.
      Every committed recruit is eligible for the 2015 draft except Jagger Williamson (currently 16 yo) and Jake Jackson (already drafted).
      Of those, it doesn't sound like its very likely any of them get drafted this year. Redmond, Hannoun, and Kauppila are the only recruits with 2015 as their last year of eligibility for the draft.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I would take a flier on L'Esperance in the 6th or 7th round. Decent chance a team like Winnipeg or San Jose, who have probably seen him when watching Phillips/Watson, would do so.

Comment

Matt Roy was selected in the 7th round (194) by the LA Kings. Pretty cool to see Michigan Tech on the bottom line on NHL network. Too bad they listed him as a LW.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Matt Roy was selected in the 7th round (194) by the LA Kings. Pretty cool to see Michigan Tech on the bottom line on NHL network. Too bad they listed him as a LW.
            First player drafted from Michigan Tech since David Weninger in 1996.

Comment

he sure looked good last year.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I just broke the news on twitter. Michigan Tech will be looking for a new assistant because Bill Muckalt will be announced as the next Head Coach of the Tri-City Storm later today.

Comment

I just broke the news on twitter. Michigan Tech will be looking for a new assistant because Bill Muckalt will be announced as the next Head Coach of the Tri-City Storm later today.
                  Big loss for the Huskies. Good guy and great recruiter who helped rebuild the program. Players loved him. Congrats to Billy.
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

$h!t.
                    Well, coaches are much like players when your program looks good to outsiders - you get better talent coming in, but they might depart early or get plucked for promotions too.
                    Bummer,
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Depending on his replacement, I'm going to hold out hope that this will be a good thing in the long run as we begin to flood the USHL with agents devoted to furthering the work of Mel.
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        Depending on his replacement, I'm going to hold out hope that this will be a good thing in the long run as we begin to flood the USHL with agents devoted to furthering the work of Mel.
                        Yes, the replacement will be key because it seems evident that having former assistants in charge in the USHL can only help.

Comment

Two years, two coaches lost to head coaching job promotions. Another gold star on Mel's resume if you ask me as it looks like he is developing more than the players on the roster.

Although I don't have the slightest clue who will fill this role, I will be interested to see who we are able to get. I think Muckalt had a unique mix of background that could appeal to potential players.
                          - Played for Pearson at Michigan
                          - Was highly successful in college, got him all the way to the NHL
                          - Had NHL experience to share with players
                          - Passion for the game
                          - Coached other junior teams
                          I wonder if Tech's NCAA appearance last season might be enough to land us a good "lead assistant" rather than Mel having to develop one. Maybe a current lead assistant from a smaller program? Someone from a Canadian junior team staff? The Huskies currently have a pretty good batch of talent waiting in the wings, but that can dry up real quick... just ask the Badgers.

Anyone want to start throwing out names?
                          Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            I wonder if Tech's NCAA appearance last season might be enough to land us a good "lead assistant" rather than Mel having to develop one. Maybe a current lead assistant from a smaller program? Someone from a Canadian junior team staff? The Huskies currently have a pretty good batch of talent waiting in the wings, but that can dry up real quick... just ask the Badgers.
                            Ryan J

They already have a good "lead assistant" in Joe Shawhan. I'm sure there will be plenty of qualified candidates applying.
                            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

As a program, when you help out the assistants by doing what you can to get them a promotion and a raise, other people notice. It's the right thing to do. Good luck to Coach Bill, I will especially miss the come on over mentality.
                              Kind of the opposite of some programs I can name isn't it.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

WAH!!!!!!!

he will be missed. but good luck for him, he will do well.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X