Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

I'm not a rules expert, but isn't alcohol sales against the NCAA rules because it is a university owned and/or on-campus building?
    So in the "beverage end" of the rink, you could only serve beer during Portage Lake games, the circus weekend and commencement?
    Rules experts chime in...
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      I'm not a rules expert, but isn't alcohol sales against the NCAA rules because it is a university owned and/or on-campus building?
      So in the "beverage end" of the rink, you could only serve beer during Portage Lake games, the circus weekend and commencement?
      Ryan J
      No, NCAA doesn't say anything about that. There is/was alcohol at Mariucci (in the suites, at least) and that is owned by the University of Minnesota.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Ryan J
        The BGSU Ice Arena (university-owned and on-campus) has alcohol sales.
        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Ryan J
          I believe it's up to the individual Universities on alcohol sales at games.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            I believe it's up to the individual Universities on alcohol sales at games.
            It's also bounded by state laws on dry campuses (if those exist) and whether your off-campus facility counts as on-campus during the event. The University of Alabama System used to have these rules based on dry campuses and off-campus events being counted as on-campus if the University sanctioned the event. I think that began to unravel when BAMA and Auburn figured out how much money they were leaving on the table not allowing alcohol sales at Bryant-Denny and Jordan-Hare.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              It's also bounded by state laws on dry campuses (if those exist) and whether your off-campus facility counts as on-campus during the event. The University of Alabama System used to have these rules based on dry campuses and off-campus events being counted as on-campus if the University sanctioned the event. I think that began to unravel when BAMA and Auburn figured out how much money they were leaving on the table not allowing alcohol sales at Bryant-Denny and Jordan-Hare.
              GFM
              Far be it from me to encourage student drinking, but if they all have one to support the hockey team, that's a couple grand of profit per night in Houghton. That's the difference between the team staying at a Super 8 on the road vs a Motel 6. (Mel still gets the presidential suite either way, that's a given.)
              Ryan J

Comment

It sounds like a Mel Pearson show will be tapped today - so questions should be sent to dj@themix93.com - and it'll air on Monday.

When I was in the dorms you could get a permit to have alcohol in your dorm room, I haven't heard about that at other schools, not sure if you can still do that.. If you can have alcohol in the dorms, alcohol at a hockey game makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                  I think it is a really silly argument, especially at Tech. Tech is supposedly a "dry campus", at least that is what I was told when I was there. But, despite this, they serve alcohol at the Memorial Union Building, definitely on-campus, for special events. Also, if you are over 21, you can get an alcohol permit to have booze in the dorms. Lastly, we have tailgated before the games, with PLENTY of alcohol, playing beer darts, etc, and no one has said a word about it. Dry campus my ***.

Put in a beer garden at the Mac, make some more money, possibly attract a few more people that are otherwise turned off by no beer sales.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    I think it is a really silly argument, especially at Tech. Tech is supposedly a "dry campus", at least that is what I was told when I was there. But, despite this, they serve alcohol at the Memorial Union Building, definitely on-campus, for special events. Also, if you are over 21, you can get an alcohol permit to have booze in the dorms. Lastly, we have tailgated before the games, with PLENTY of alcohol, playing beer darts, etc, and no one has said a word about it. Dry campus my ***.

Put in a beer garden at the Mac, make some more money, possibly attract a few more people that are otherwise turned off by no beer sales.
                    We've tailgated with a wink and a nod...not sure we're really suppose to be doing any drinking there...officially.
                    But in the same breath, we're allowed to buy beer in the suites?
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

In the suites, you can buy beer, wine, and liquor. The VIP football package has draft beer included at/in Sherman field during the game. Tailgating, as I have spoken to public safety on occasion, will tell you alcohol is not allowed, but if you don't flaunt it out and leave empties everywhere that they won't bother/bust you.

Comment

And they have the tailgate party outside the MAC which is for hockew where they serve chili, have games, and serve beer/pop. I think it is catered by the Library and happens once a year.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that Tech doesn't have alcohol sales at the JMSIA. Isn't copious alcohol consumption a survival tactic for life in da UP?

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Beverage consumption for Tech fans usually varies inversely with the success of the hockey team.
                            Getting 29 wins in a single season really puts a dent in consumption.
                            Ryan J

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              Beverage consumption for Tech fans usually varies inversely with the success of the hockey team.
                              Getting 29 wins in a single season really puts a dent in consumption.
                              Ryan J
                              Amount no. Reason yes now they're celebratory drinks.
                              Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                              Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                                Amount no. Reason yes now they're celebratory drinks.
                                hahaha. i'm With Painted here. Tech's performance does not vary my consumption one bit..
                                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Working...
                                X