• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 World is upon us.

u-s-a, u-s-a!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Knight added one in the third period for the US. FINAL: USA 4, Canada 2. SOG: 34-11 USA
      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
        Knight added one in the third period for the US. FINAL: USA 4, Canada 2. SOG: 34-11 USA
        Despite the relatively close score, it was a one sided affair. Shot count a good refelction of the game. The biggest difference is the PP. USA converted 3, Canada none.

That goal by Knight was on a sweet feed from Decker, after Coyne had fed Decker the puck deep on another quick US transition play. The USA transition game is quick and decisive, and gave Canada fits all game. Canada showed some poise and threatened a few times with the goalie pulled, but USA was full value for the win. Things got a bit heated and the end as well, but I think that is just par for the course between these two. TSN interviewed Lam between the second and the third.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          That goal by Knight was on a sweet feed from Decker, after Coyne had fed Decker the puck deep on another quick US transition play. Things got a bit heated and the end as well, but I think that is just par for the course between these two.
          Yes, nice quick goal by Knight in the crease/on the doorstep.

The heat started with Duggan's unsportsmanlike conduct when she shot on Lacasse long after the loud long whistle had blown. Then she took exception to the fact that a Canadian player took exception to that by giving her a bit of a shove and a dust up almost ensued. Tremendous player but after watching her in Sochhi and that little performance today I'm starting to wonder if she has a bit of a mean streak in her.

Anyone know if a penalty can be called for shooting on net long after the whistle has blown?

Officiating was atrocious and interfered with the entire game.

US was vastly superior with their puck control in the offensive zone although it wouldn't have taken much to look better in that department today than Canada did. Canada did miss a number of open net opportunities so the score could have been different and they seemed to play better as the game wore on but, again, US was clearly the superior team today.

And Canada's power play was non existent after the first two, I was being complimentary by calling it anemic after the third one because there was some improvement but then it diminished back into the non existent category after that.

The feel of the game was similar to their last few meetings with the US coming out of the blocks like gangbusters with Canada back on their heels with that gradually changing throughout the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            Anyone know if a penalty can be called for shooting on net long after the whistle has blown?
            I would think that the "Unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty would cover all such sins.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I would think that the "Unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty would cover all such sins.
              I would think so, too, although I don't ever remember seeing it called, as seldom as those instances occur. With how touchy the officiating was today I was surprised that Duggan didn't get called and, hence, my question.

Comment

I would think so, too, although I don't ever remember seeing it called, as seldom as those instances occur. With how touchy the officiating was today I was surprised that Duggan didn't get called and, hence, my question.
                Ohio State was called for "Unsportsmanlike conduct" earlier this year for shooting on the goaltender after the whistle against Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  Ohio State was called for "Unsportsmanlike conduct" earlier this year for shooting on the goaltender after the whistle against Minnesota.
                  Yes, and that started quite a scrum. It surprised me that an OSU player started whacking Gophers on the head with her stick but didn't get called for anything. They were in front of the bench & Frost calmly took the stick away from her & handed it down the bench. Wish I had it on video.

USA really does not need another player that takes stupid penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    Yes, and that started quite a scrum. It surprised me that an OSU player started whacking Gophers on the head with her stick but didn't get called for anything. They were in front of the bench & Frost calmly took the stick away from her & handed it down the bench. Wish I had it on video.

USA really does not need another player that takes stupid penalties.
                    That sounds like a normal day in the women's WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                      Japan won shootout

TSN4 just gives me another reason I wish I lived in Canada.
                      There's no reason at all...ever...to want to live in Canada

Comment

Late game update...

2nd Intermission, Finland 2, Russia 2 - Russia has taken 1-0 and 2-1 leads, and Finland has answered back fairly quickly (exactly a minute later the first time, 3:04 later the second time). Russia's Olga Sosina has a goal and an assist. SOG are 15-10 Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                          Late game update...

2nd Intermission, Finland 2, Russia 2 - Russia has taken 1-0 and 2-1 leads, and Finland has answered back fairly quickly (exactly a minute later the first time, 3:04 later the second time). Russia's Olga Sosina has a goal and an assist. SOG are 15-10 Finland.
                          Now in overtime, still 2-2. Each team had a power play in the third period, but neither team scored and SOG in the frame were 3-3 (Finland leads for the game, 18-13).

Five minute OT and then the shootout. Regardless, Canada will be fourth in Pool A as both Finland and Russia will get a point for being tied after regulation.

EDIT: Going to the "game-winning shots" (a.k.a. the shootout). SOG in OT were 2-2.
                          Last edited by CrazyDave; 03-28-2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Yes, ref can call an unsportsmanlike 2 minute penalty, similar to when someone sprays the goaler. Usually a warning precedes a penalty. It was Rougeau who took exception and bumped her into the boards. Given that the whistle could be clearly heard and there was little crowd noise, it sure looked to be intentional. The whistle was for an offside.

Agree that the Canada PP was anemic. I did like the play of the Spooner/Wakefield/Jenner Line. Spoons was the best canuck player IMHO.
                            Last edited by OnMAA; 03-28-2015, 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                              There's no reason at all...ever...to want to live in Canada
                              And we do not want anyone with that kind of attitude north of the 49th. Please stay were you are.

Comment

Final: Finland 3, Russia 2 - Minttu Tuominen scores in the fourth round of the shootout, her second attempt, to give Finland a 3-2 victory. Meeri Raisanen made 3 saves (and Russia missed wide on one attempt) in the shootout.

Comment

Working...
                                X