Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

Let me inject a note of optimism: D'Oench's heroics, Tissenbaum and Laing holding the fort, 3 points out of 4 against the North Country teams with Mashmeyer away, the Zarzecki/D'Oench "She kneels, she shoots" highlight reel move.

Well, that was a short paragraph, wasn't it.....otherwise I have to concur with Skate79. Lots and lots of work to do. For heaven's sake, crisp breakouts have been a signature strength of this team since Angela Ruggiero was a pup! The first period against StL....! But we all loved the fussball team when they pulled a last-minute rabbit out of their helmet after they had stumbled and stuttered on the Dartmouth one yard line, so I suppose all's well that ends well for the hockey team (albeit next week's film sessions and practices may be a bit gruelling).

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
      Let me inject a note of optimism: D'Oench's heroics, Tissenbaum and Laing holding the fort, 3 points out of 4 against the North Country teams with Mashmeyer away, the Zarzecki/D'Oench "She kneels, she shoots" highlight reel move.

Well, that was a short paragraph, wasn't it.....otherwise I have to concur with Skate79. Lots and lots of work to do. For heaven's sake, crisp breakouts have been a signature strength of this team since Angela Ruggiero was a pup! The first period against StL....! But we all loved the fussball team when they pulled a last-minute rabbit out of their helmet after they had stumbled and stuttered on the Dartmouth one yard line, so I suppose all's well that ends well for the hockey team (albeit next week's film sessions and practices may be a bit gruelling).
      Good point about the goaltending. How many schools can roll out three goalies like Maschmeyer, Tissenbaum and Laing? Amazing that all three are here and it bodes well for next year with Laing and Tissenbaum sharing the duties. But we have to get better on D and the forwards have to develop chemistry and get in sync. Otherwise, it will be a long year.

Comment

Someone has to explain to me how Yale gets 5 power plays and we get exactly zero chances. Sorry but there is something going on with ECAC officiating and Harvard hockey. I don't know what the coaching staff or players have done to irritate the officials but there is a clear bias when something like this happens. It's beyond ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          Someone has to explain to me how Yale gets 5 power plays and we get exactly zero chances. Sorry but there is something going on with ECAC officiating and Harvard hockey. I don't know what the coaching staff or players have done to irritate the officials but there is a clear bias when something like this happens. It's beyond ridiculous.
          Jose Mourinho, is that you?

Comment

For heaven's sake, crisp breakouts have been a signature strength of this team since Angela Ruggiero was a pup!
            Speaking of Ms. Ruggiero, congratulations are in order on her induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

http://gocrimson.com/sports/wice/201...20151109l1nppf
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Not much of a game tonight at B-L after the first ten minutes. Union tried to skate with Harvard and while they played hard, it wasn't going to last. Especially after the Crimson went ahead on a beautiful tip-in from Miye D'Oench off a point shot from Brianna Mastel. The Crimson made it 2-0 with Michelle Picard firing a wrist shot dead center off a pass from D'Oench on the PP.

D'Oench got Harvard on the board 36 seconds into the second period off a two on one break with Syd Daniels making a nice cross ice pass which Miye slammed home in the crease. The Crimson went up 4-0 when Karly Heffernan roofed a gorgeous wrist shot off a two on one break with Lexie Laing (sense a trend here?). Syd Daniels finished off the scoring in the third period with a tip in of a Miye D'Oench wrist shot from the left face off circle.

Union has more speed than in previous seasons but lacks offensive skill and defensive awareness. I lost count of how many times a Union D tried to freeze the puck along the boards rather than move it up and out of the zone. The Crimson really had their way with the Dutchwomen and had zero problems setting up in the offensive zone.

Defensively, the Crimson still had their lapses and their breakout passes were spotty. We can get away with that against a team like Union but BC would have killed us tonight.

Injury update: Chelsea Zaidie, Dani Krzyszczyk, and Mary Parker did not dress. I spoke to Chelsea prior to the game. She will be back for the RPI game tomorrow. Mary and Dani are another story altogether. They may be out for a while. In deference to the team and coaches, I won't say what they are dealing with but let's just say that I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Dani. Tremendous kid. Hope for the best.

Bring on RPI. Would love for some of the football crowd to stick around and catch the hockey game. Puck drops a little over an hour after the football game ends.
              Last edited by Skate79; 11-14-2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

About the best thing you can say about today's game is that Harvard won. That's it. RPI played their usual garbage style hockey. They aren't great skaters and lack finishing skill so their game plan is to try and hit Harvard as many times as possible and hope to get away with it. Which of course they did because the officials put their whistles in their pockets for the most part. Like when Haley Mullins took a vicious elbow to the head along the boards with a ref staring at the play and doing nothing. This is what is going to ruin women's hockey. But hey, why should RPI care? If they can get away with it...

That said, Harvard missed some glorious chances to put distance between themselves and the Engineers. Frankly, the game should not have been this close. Karly Heffernan clipped the crossbar, Grace Zarzecki hit the post and we missed several close in opportunities mostly because RPI clogged the middle and played the aforementioned physical style. The Engineers actually got on the board first on the PP in the second period off a scramble in front. Two minutes later, Jessica Harvey standing in front tipped a point shot from Brianna Mastel. The tie lasted until late in the third period when Miye D'Oench took a nice cross pass from Haley Mullins in front and jammed home the winner.

If the officials had the stones to call some of this crap, this nonsense would end. But we'll see more tractor pulls until and when the league gets serious about eliminating this style of play.

Comment

About the best thing you can say about today's game is that Harvard won. That's it. RPI played their usual garbage style hockey. They aren't great skaters and lack finishing skill so their game plan is to try and hit Harvard as many times as possible and hope to get away with it. Which of course they did because the officials put their whistles in their pockets for the most part. Like when Haley Mullins took a vicious elbow to the head along the boards with a ref staring at the play and doing nothing. This is what is going to ruin women's hockey. But hey, why should RPI care? If they can get away with it...

That said, Harvard missed some glorious chances to put distance between themselves and the Engineers. Frankly, the game should not have been this close. Karly Heffernan clipped the crossbar, Grace Zarzecki hit the post and we missed several close in opportunities mostly because RPI clogged the middle and played the aforementioned physical style. The Engineers actually got on the board first on the PP in the second period off a scramble in front. Two minutes later, Jessica Harvey standing in front tipped a point shot from Brianna Mastel. The tie lasted until late in the third period when Miye D'Oench took a nice cross pass from Haley Mullins in front and jammed home the winner.

If the officials had the stones to call some of this crap, this nonsense would end. But we'll see more tractor pulls until and when the league gets serious about eliminating this style of play.
                  We must have been watching different games. RPI outskated Harvard for much of the game, and yes they did do a great job of checking (a big part of hockey). Harvard is a better team and in the end managed a win, but you are way off base in failing to give credit to a very gritty and determined performance by the Engineers. (BTW, you may want to check out the RPI thread for some stats on which of these two teams plays a disciplined clean game).
                  Last edited by hab; 11-15-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                    We must have been watching different games. RPI outskated Harvard for much of the game, and yes they did do a great job of checking (a big part of hockey). Harvard is a better team and in the end managed a win, but you are way off base in failing to give credit to a very gritty and determined performance by the Engineers. (BTW, you may want to check out the RPI thread for some stats on which of these two teams plays a disciplined clean game).
                    Stats don't tell the whole story as I pointed out in my post. I disagree that RPI out skated Harvard for most of the game. I think the Crimson were their own worst enemy for not capitalizing on their scoring opportunities but RPI has been playing us this way for years because they don't want to get into an up and down game with us. They resort to clogging up space and using physical tactics to try and slow us down.

To give you an example of a 2-1 game that was fun to watch, check out the highlights from last year's Quinnipiac-Harvard game from early December at Bright-Landry. It was up and down with terrific chances at both ends and disciplined D from both teams. That wasn't the case with RPI.

BTW, I'm not the only one who shares this opinion. I spoke to a Canadian women's coach after the game and he felt the same way. Didn't think much of RPI or their style of play. But I get that you are an RPI fan and you're entitled to feel differently.
                    Last edited by Skate79; 11-22-2015, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

Last night's game was what we've been hoping to see all season. The players worked with great diligence to neutralize a very strong NU offense which had already peppered Maschmeyer with maybe a dozen shots before Harvard recorded its second SOG, but the Crimson held their defensive focus and were opportunistic enough on offense to score three times.

One key to Harvard's chances this year is depth, and getting Mary Parker back for the first time this year illustrated that, by turning what was an effective third line without her into one of three now excellent lines (reminiscent of last year). However Katey or the opposition may choose to match up lines, few teams are going to be deep enough to hold all three lines quiet during a full game. And though none of the forwards may have the transcendent skills of a Kendall Coyne, each line has at least two legitimate individual scoring threats.

It will be interesting to see whether Katey chooses to maintain last night's lines or experiment with an even stronger first line featuring Parker (as she did in the final minute of last night's game). My preference, purely as an untutored spectator, is for the former, but if you ask whether the latter would result in a too weak third line, my response (you knew this was coming) is that a Mullins-Harvey-Zarzecki line would be reminiscent of the Mullins-Harvey-(the currently injured) Krzyszczyk fourth line that outscored BU's entire team in last year's Beanpot 3-2. Just had to work that in.

Comment

Last night's game was what we've been hoping to see all season. The players worked with great diligence to neutralize a very strong NU offense which had already peppered Maschmeyer with maybe a dozen shots before Harvard recorded its second SOG, but the Crimson held their defensive focus and were opportunistic enough on offense to score three times.

One key to Harvard's chances this year is depth, and getting Mary Parker back for the first time this year illustrated that, by turning what was an effective third line without her into one of three now excellent lines (reminiscent of last year). However Katey or the opposition may choose to match up lines, few teams are going to be deep enough to hold all three lines quiet during a full game. And though none of the forwards may have the transcendent skills of a Kendall Coyne, each line has at least two legitimate individual scoring threats.

It will be interesting to see whether Katey chooses to maintain last night's lines or experiment with an even stronger first line featuring Parker (as she did in the final minute of last night's game). My preference, purely as an untutored spectator, is for the former, but if you ask whether the latter would result in a too weak third line, my response (you knew this was coming) is that a Mullins-Harvey-Zarzecki line would be reminiscent of the Mullins-Harvey-(the currently injured) Krzyszczyk fourth line that outscored BU's entire team in last year's Beanpot 3-2. Just had to work that in.
                        I thought Mary was going to be out at least until January so it was a surprise to see her in the lineup. I think eventually she will center the top line with D'Oench and Daniels. She'll need to work her way back to key minutes although she had a goal yesterday in the loss to UMD.

I like the idea of Mullins, Harvey and Zarzecki as a third line. Harvey is starting to come on as an offensive threat. We might want to use her more on the PP.

This makes two shutouts over #4 ranked teams this season (Clarkson was ranked fourth when we played them to a 0-0 time earlier). Still our D needs work. We give up too many chances and sooner rather than later, it will cost us.

Comment

Harvey is starting to come on as an offensive threat. We might want to use her more on the PP.
                          Harvey had two assists on the PP yesterday, including one on a five-on-three, so it appears that she is a PP staple at this point.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Nice to have Daniels & Laing back in lineup for today's game! Also great having Parker back with the team, she has played great since she returned! Nice team effort for win today, will make for a better flight home.

Comment

Originally posted by Just a Spectator! View Post
                              Nice to have Daniels & Laing back in lineup for today's game! Also great having Parker back with the team, she has played great since she returned! Nice team effort for win today, will make for a better flight home.
                              It's been tough to deal with these early season injuries but fortunately, we should be at close to full strength (minus Dani K) for next weekend's showdown with Quinnipiac. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get through next weekend and get to break to heal up heading into January.

Comment

It's been tough to deal with these early season injuries but fortunately, we should be at close to full strength (minus Dani K) for next weekend's showdown with Quinnipiac. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get through next weekend and get to break to heal up heading into January.
                                Are you sure Daniels was an injury? Missing one game over two weekends sounds less like an injury and more like some other issue (academic, family issue, disciplinary, etc.)? Don't know either way, just wondering.

Comment

Working...
                                X