X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL 2015, Part II - Stanley Cup Playoff Race and Beyond

Old thread got closed.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Re: NHL 2015, Part II - Stanley Cup Playoff Race and Beyond

Connor McDavid is everything his hype says he is. Got a chance to see him in Windsor over the weekend and, like Eichel, he's up here (level hand above eye-level) where everyone else on the ice is like here (level hand about chin level).

Comment

I asked somebody who knows these things if McDavid would put similar numbers up if he played NCAA hockey. The answer was no as he'd be going up against older players and more defensive systems.

Do I think he'll be the #1 pick? Yep and Eichel as #2. But if you're Edmonton, and you're loaded with whiz bang forwards, do you pick Eichel or do you trade down for a solid NHL young defenseman, a #1, and a solid AHL prospect?

If everyone is smart, both McDavid and Eichel spend next season in Juniors/NCAA, the following season in the AHL, and then up to the big club. The marketing people would have hysterics, but the talent evaluation side of the house needs to put their foot down.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        I asked somebody who knows these things if McDavid would put similar numbers up if he played NCAA hockey. The answer was no as he'd be going up against older players and more defensive systems.

Do I think he'll be the #1 pick? Yep and Eichel as #2. But if you're Edmonton, and you're loaded with whiz bang forwards, do you pick Eichel or do you trade down for a solid NHL young defenseman, a #1, and a solid AHL prospect?

If everyone is smart, both McDavid and Eichel spend next season in Juniors/NCAA, the following season in the AHL, and then up to the big club. The marketing people would have hysterics, but the talent evaluation side of the house needs to put their foot down.
        It'll never happen. Those guys are both starting centers next year, regardless of what's best for their development. Also, Edmonton is sitting on the outside looking in right now in 3rd from the bottom, actually putting them in good position to take Noah Hanafin. There is no way the team with the first pick doesn't take McDavid, because no GM wants to be known as the guy who could've had McDavid and let him go.
        RPI Pep Band
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
          It'll never happen. Those guys are both starting centers next year, regardless of what's best for their development. Also, Edmonton is sitting on the outside looking in right now in 3rd from the bottom, actually putting them in good position to take Noah Hanafin. There is no way the team with the first pick doesn't take McDavid, because no GM wants to be known as the guy who could've had McDavid and let him go.
          I think whoever ends up #2 is in the best spot. Then they don't have to make a choice and potentially be goaded forever on taking the wrong guy.

I think both players will end up being very good players in the NHL. I'm a Ranger fan, but I'd like Buffalo to get Eichel.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

I read the title as "Stanley Cup Playoff Race and Beyonce."

I've been hanging out with my daughter too much.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Leafs player gets on breakaway... and is cut off by the ref.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...llys-breakaway
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                Leafs player gets on breakaway... and is cut off by the ref.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...llys-breakaway
                Heavy sigh
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Can somebody here explain the playoff eligibility? There is a certain team in the Western conference who I sometimes look up in the standings, who plays in my old state to the Northwest of Wisconsin, who is 5th in the 'Points' standings. But my local paper in Madison, when posting the Conference standings, has them listed 7th. When I go to the Sports Mothership webpage and select Wildcard, they are listed as one of two wild card teams. Shouldn't there be 5 WC teams, after the 3 division leaders?
                  Please help unconfuse me, somebody.
                  Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                    Can somebody here explain the playoff eligibility? There is a certain team in the Western conference who I sometimes look up in the standings, who plays in my old state to the Northwest of Wisconsin, who is 5th in the 'Points' standings. But my local paper in Madison, when posting the Conference standings, has them listed 7th. When I go to the Sports Mothership webpage and select Wildcard, they are listed as one of two wild card teams. Shouldn't there be 5 WC teams, after the 3 division leaders?
                    The top 3 teams in each division make the playoffs. So, even though the Wild are 5th in the conference they're 7th in the playoff picture because they are 4th in their division and thus the first Wildcard team.

Playoff seedings.

Top division winner plays the bottom Wildcard.
                    Second division winner plays the top Wildcard.

Second and Third in each division play each other.

If you go to NHL.com and pick the Wildcard standings it shows the picture the best.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      The top 3 teams in each division make the playoffs. So, even though the Wild are 5th in the conference they're 7th in the playoff picture because they are 4th in their division and thus the first Wildcard team.

Playoff seedings.

Top division winner plays the bottom Wildcard.
                      Second division winner plays the top Wildcard.

Second and Third in each division play each other.

If you go to NHL.com and pick the Wildcard standings it shows the picture the best.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf
                      Ah. Thanks. Nice explanation.
                      Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Playoffs are in-division. Of the Central division, Blues, Preds, Hawks are currently in. In the Pacific division, Ducks, Canucks, Flames (who hold the tiebreaker over Kings) are in.

The remaining two playoff positions are the Wildcards. They are the two Western Conference teams with the next highest points. Current wildcard teams are Wild and Jets. Lowest wildcard team plays highest point total in the Western Conference (Jets would go to Blues). Wild would slide into the Pacific division to play the Ducks.

*edit* Dammit. I was slow in reponding thanks to using my work smartphone to tap this out.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I don't mean to be rude at all, but did you miss the last two seasons?
                          RPI Pep Band
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                            I don't mean to be rude at all, but did you miss the last two seasons?
                            I guess so.
                            /shrugs/
                            Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

I guess so.
                              /shrugs/
                              Well, in your defense, it is a bit ****ed up.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X