Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post

The dark days are upon us, hopefully we are near rock bottom.
    If we're not at rock bottom, it won't be long and LaBahn will be too large to host Men's games.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
      If we're not at rock bottom, it won't be long and LaBahn will be too large to host Men's games.
      We won 4 games with Rumpel. I think rock bottom is approaching fast. It's going to be a rough one this season.

I miss the days when Cody Goloubef was considered our 5th best Dman.

Comment

It really ****es me off the way this was handled. About two weeks ago I was scouting an event in Minnesota and a college coach from Hockey East told me Opilka had told NHL teams he would be open to going to the OHL if that's where they felt he should play. It wasn't super surprising, a lot of kids do this even though they have no intention of going, but they do it to make NHL teams feel better about taking them in the draft. I know Opilka's agent pretty well so I immediately reached out to him and asked if that was true. He said it was bogus.

This is a word for word conversations we had:

"Any truth to the rumor Opilka is telling NHL teams he's open to going to the OHL?"
        "It would take a gun to his head (to not go to UW). He is moved in to a dorm and happy there."
        "Ok, just checking. I didn't think it had any legs"
        "If it did he wouldn't be in summer school."
        "Well, JT Miller went to North Dakota summer school. But that's a rare case"
        "True. Luke is staying in Madison. I cannot see a Nhl team pushing him any other direction either."

When Posick sent the initial tweet today I reached out again and asked if the news about Opilka was true. His response, "Who is sending you info?"

I told him about the report. He did not respond. I sent three more messages asking for confirmation (which he received and read). He still has yet to respond.

Comment

Well... he is a snake... er... an agent.

I don't blame the kid for bolting. If it was me or my kid, I'd be gone too.

This program is in shambles and worse days are ahead.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-02-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

It's funny coz as a Hawks fan, there are parallels...

Once proud franchise (program) with a vibrant fan base brought down by willful negligence and managerial incompetence. The inability to understand how to build a team and coaching staff coupled with an utter disconnect (and seeming disdain) with the formerly loyal fan base.

This will take a long, LONG time to dig out from and the Wisconsin Hockey that we once knew is possibly (likely) gone forever.

So when to we get to draft Kane and Toews?

Comment

Knowing how Management personalities can be, I wonder if Brian Elliott said something offhand about how disappointed he is in the direction of the program, some guy overhears it and paraphrases it to a higher up guy, who gets a little panicky and without talking to Elliott or getting context (both of which are often viewed as "wastes of time" by Management types) decides that UW is programa non grata.

That or maybe I've been around sales people too much, and it's making me bigoted towards mangers and their "perception is reality" nonsense.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                It's funny coz as a Hawks fan, there are parallels...

Once proud franchise (program) with a vibrant fan base brought down by willful negligence and managerial incompetence. The inability to understand how to build a team and coaching staff coupled with an utter disconnect (and seeming disdain) with the formerly loyal fan base.

This will take a long, LONG time to dig out from and the Wisconsin Hockey that we once knew is possibly (likely) gone forever.

So when to we get to draft Kane and Toews?
                Rough times ahead indeed. At least the down cycles between the Hawks and Badgers do not overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Knowing how Management personalities can be, I wonder if Brian Elliott said something offhand about how disappointed he is in the direction of the program, some guy overhears it and paraphrases it to a higher up guy, who gets a little panicky and without talking to Elliott or getting context (both of which are often viewed as "wastes of time" by Management types) decides that UW is programa non grata.

That or maybe I've been around sales people too much, and it's making me bigoted towards mangers and their "perception is reality" nonsense.
                  I think it's far more likely that the Senior Advisor to the General Manager of the St. Louis Blues Al MacInnis, who has a son that is a prominent star forward for the Kitchener Rangers, got into Opilka's head.

Comment

Rough times ahead indeed. At least the down cycles between the Hawks and Badgers do not overlap.

No doubt. I've got plenty of good (great) hockey to keep me satisfied. Couple that with my kid playing high school and I barely even miss the Badgers. Hate to say that, but it's the truth.

Makes me sad though.

The Packers and Badgers have had a similar penchant to not both be bad at the same time for the past 20 years or so - which has been fun although neither has been bad like the Hawks were or the Badger hockey team currently is.

Comment

BA will hopefully be exposed for what he is during the process to replace Bo. People need to forget about him being the football coach and look at what he has done during his current job. His pride and joy program has had 2 coaches leave in the middle of the night during the season in the last 3 years.
                      Given the current state of the men's basketball program, I don't think it will be too hard of a task to bring in a good coach. In fact, it's easier to be a "good coach" now than it has ever been, because recruiting is easier.

I don't know the entire process of the hiring of Kelly Sheffield, but that was an absolute moon shot of a home run hire.

I'm a guy who applauds/cheers Alvarez at events selectively: If it's as a football coach, applause. If he's doing an AD thing that's more about something else he's presenting to someone, that'll probably be a golf clap. I tend to keep quiet when he's introduced as an AD. Hockey is becoming less and less a difference-maker from other athletic departments (in that it is a third sport that is bigger/better than most school's first.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        I'm afraid of Wisconsin Hockey following in the footsteps of Bowling Green.

That was a difficult sentence to type.

Comment

What makes this all the more worse is most on this board recognized the state of the program. I still can't believe that the powers in the athletic department didn't see this and make the proper changes.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

The WIAC is looking for a 6th member. Recruiting is trending to this move.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                              I'm afraid of Wisconsin Hockey following in the footsteps of Bowling Green.

That was a difficult sentence to type.
                              omg...if that's where this ends up...let's face it, UW is closer to following Bowling Green than winning 10 games, let alone 20.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                                What makes this all the more worse is most on this board recognized the state of the program. I still can't believe that the powers in the athletic department didn't see this and make the proper changes.
                                They saw it. They just chose to partially ignore it.

I have 0 respect for Barry Alvarez at this point. It was his decision to partially ignore the problem. His, and his alone. He'll have to deal with 3,000-4,000 people showing up to games all of next season and eventually come to an understanding of just how ****ing stupid his decision was.

Either that or he'll pass it off on King and fire both Eaves and King after this coming season's fiasco.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X