West Regional: North Dakota, Michigan Tech, St. Cloud State, Quinnipiac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Regional: North Dakota, Michigan Tech, St. Cloud State, Quinnipiac

Thought I might as well make a thread to discuss the regional.

FRIDAY:
    Michigan Tech vs. St. Cloud 3:30 ESPN3
    North Dakota vs. Quinnipiac 7:00 ESPNU

SATURDAY:
    North Dakota/Quinnipiac vs. Michigan Tech/St. Cloud 8:00 ESPNU

All times are local.

I think it should be some great hockey this weekend. All four teams lost their last game before the tournament, so each will look to get a 4-game winning steak going. I really wouldn't be surprised by any of the 4 teams advancing to the Frozen Four, as they all have enough talent throughout the lineup to win two games.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: West Regional: North Dakota, Michigan Tech, St. Cloud State, Quinnipiac

Timing could have been a bit better. There will be a group of about 15 meteorology majors from SCSU watching the stream at a hotel in Des Moines at a conference. Go Huskies (the SCSU variety).

Comment

Will be driving across Wisconsin and Minnesota Friday. Yuck
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        Will be driving across Wisconsin and Minnesota Friday. Yuck
        Add 4 other states to that, and that's me. Grrrrrr.
        The one regional I didn't want to go to.

Regardless, any one of these teams can win the Regional. It should be really good hockey. I'm looking forward to it.

Go Tech!
        Last edited by HuskyNation; 03-22-2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
          Regardless, any one of these teams can win the Regional. It should be really good hockey. I'm looking forward to it.

Go Tech!
          I haven't seen Quinnipiac much this year, so I don't really know a ton about them. However, if they won the ECAC, my guess is they will bring it in the tournament (oh how times have changed).

I've seen a lot of St. Cloud. They play great with a lead and have a tremendous powerplay. They are probably the most battle-tested group in the tournament, having played 26 games against NCAA Tournament teams already. No wonder they got in with barely above a .500 record.

I have seen a bit of Michigan Tech. Tanner Kero is the real deal, and Phillips is one of the top 5 or so goalies in the country. Tech plays similar to North Dakota. They aren't going to win many 7-6 type games, but they will grind it out and win a ton of 3-2, 2-1 type games. Against teams not named Minnesota State, they have won their last 13 in a row.

I have seen basically every North Dakota game this season. This team relies almost exclusively on their back end, as they feature arguably the best D-corps in all of college hockey. Throw in a top 5 goalie in McIntyre, and it is no wonder that this team wins a lot of low-scoring affairs. North Dakota also has 11 wins over NCAA Tournament competition.

There will definitely be some great hockey to be played, and I wouldn't be the least surprised if the Fargo fans were treated to bonus hockey. My guess is that we'll have three 1-goal games (notwithstanding empty net goals).
          North Dakota

Comment

Thank god I have a Roku so I can watch the game on my TV with a perfect picture. Every time I stream stuff from lap top onto my TV it looks like sh*t. I agree all four teams have the talent to win 2 games. I am sure that place will be rocking for the sioux game and empty for the other game.
            I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
              Thank god I have a Roku so I can watch the game on my TV with a perfect picture. Every time I stream stuff from lap top onto my TV it looks like sh*t. I agree all four teams have the talent to win 2 games. I am sure that place will be rocking for the sioux game and empty for the other game.
              It's not a very big arena, so it probably won't appear empty. That being said, my guess is the first game will be around 1/2-2/3 full, with the night game being absolutely packed.
              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                I haven't seen Quinnipiac much this year, so I don't really know a ton about them. However, if they won the ECAC, my guess is they will bring it in the tournament (oh how times have changed).
                I remember being fairly surprised at how well they played when they split in St. Cloud in January. Of course its far enough back that I don't remember anything specific.

Comment

Any chance in a million years that out of towners can find tickets? I've heard they might already be sold out?

Comment

Also looking for tickets, just for 1 person for all 4 games, or at least Tech's and the championship. I know Tech will get some but not sure if they are all spoken for or anything.
                    2005-2006: 7-25-6
                    2006-2007: 18-17-5
                    2007-2008: 14-20-5
                    2008-2009: 6-25-7
                    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by baril4244 View Post
                      Any chance in a million years that out of towners can find tickets? I've heard they might already be sold out?
                      Only through the school allotment (400 tickets I believe). If any of those become available, you'll need to get to the box office in Fargo on Thursday morning to sit in line with plenty of Sioux fans to hope to get tickets. The extras (if there are any) will not be available online (other than potentially through StubHub).

The general tickets sold out in less than a minute back in November (I believe).
                      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        Only through the school allotment (400 tickets I believe). If any of those become available, you'll need to get to the box office in Fargo on Thursday morning to sit in line with plenty of Sioux fans to hope to get tickets. The extras (if there are any) will not be available online (other than potentially through StubHub).

The general tickets sold out in less than a minute back in November (I believe).
                        Well I guess I'll try and get in on Tech's allotment.
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                          Also looking for tickets, just for 1 person for all 4 games, or at least Tech's and the championship. I know Tech will get some but not sure if they are all spoken for or anything.
                          If North Dakota loses on Friday night, there will be Saturday tickets available.

At the end of the day, the school allotment (400/school - 1600 total) will take up 32% of the arena, so there weren't all that many tickets to begin with. Scheels Arena only sits about 5k for hockey.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                            Well I guess I'll try and get in on Tech's allotment.
                            That will definitely be your best (only?) shot for Friday's tickets...other than StubHub of course.
                            North Dakota

Comment

A quick question - Does the NCAA not want regional's played at a home arena and instead have a school host at a nearby one (UND hosting in Fargo, Minnesota hosting at the X, etc)? Why not have the regional in Grand Forks where you can fit in 7,000 more people and still clearly sell out the games?

Comment

Working...
                              X