Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's going to win it all?

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    I will stick my 2 cents in.......Those are not the NCAA rankings and have nothing to do with the NCAA Tourney. That is a poll !! The final NCAA rankings are private and not released to the public !
    I know that, which is the problem with the D3 final private rankings. totally opaque unlike the D1 rankings which are totally transparent. It is clear that the final private rankings are tweeked in ways that support the travel restrictions imposed by the schools and NCAA. We can argue the final rankings that came out until the cows come home, but ranking Amherst ahead of Norwich based on the season and conference tournaments was hard to understand. And that is just one issue I have with the final rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
      *Sitting back and enjoying my popcorn for the show..*
      No no. much more fun to get into the fray and poke and prod a little. Or in my case, a lot. Went skiing today at Okemo, had a shot of Jameson and some Long Trails afterwards and saw Remy's posts and decided why not.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
        Yup I did, just as we heard from several other posters that they "weren't impressed with Amherst or Williams"...guess who won? Larson was outstanding last weekend and Trin Trin's goalie was leaving juicy rebounds and was no where near as comfortable in the net as he was Saturday. Rust? Weeks off (happens when you lose in your conference tournament early, again). He, as well as his team defense, came to play (as seen in their back check and blocking shots). From what I and others saw from Trin Trin last week, they weren't a very impressive team. Can any team "show up" for a game or two? Absolutely. Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't bring hard work any day. And before you or our Trin Trin buddy get your panties in a bunch this doesn't mean Trin Trin doesn't have talent. Offensive numbers are great, but their team defense is impressive. Do they win only 1 out of 10 times? I wouldn't go that far. Not to many teams are going to hold a team like Plattsburgh off the scoreboard giving up 70 shots on a regular basis. You can be one of "those" who just want to look at the score too, have a happy. I'm going out on a limb that you probably didn't see much if any of the game too, but hey the box score says 5-1. Then again if you watched the game you would know that their goal came with much less than 30 seconds.

Is/Was Trinity "better then I thought"? Uh Duh, I don't see where I said something otherwise, but thanks for putting words in my mouth...with that much crow in it I'm surprised you can find room. Should we all get on our knees and bow to the almighty Trin Trin? Give a "Your amazing" speech? And pretend the game didn't happen and nothing happened in the game other then the final score? I believe I've said several times I was impressed with several parts of their game. As I said, IMO if they give up that many shots to Adrian I feel Adrian has better players/finishers then Plattsburgh (I actually picked Adrian before the party even started) and Adrian will not get blanked.
        Look at you go. Now, in your mind, Trinity gave up 70 shots to Plattsburgh.

BTW- I watched this game (but I did have multiple screens going for a bit). While Platty pressed the majority of the second, that game easily could have been 3-0 at the end of two if not for your keeper's crazy glove save while falling backward into the net and the gift of a Trinity forward hitting the post after walking in alone.
        ...And I saw Platty's last goal as the clock wound down -from the top of the crease on a pass from behind. I was trying to be kind in the "last 30 seconds" comment....

Comment

Originally posted by bantam75 View Post
          NESCAC played interlocking schedule with ECAC East for years (until last year) and held their own fine. Everyone expected the NESCAC to drop off when that arrangement ended in 2013
          I'm not here to argue with the validity of your other points, I just want to point this out... If you've been a die-hard fan of Trinity and DIII Hockey for 12 years, you obviously know that the Interlock ended after the 2010-2011 season - which is 4 years ago now - right?
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Right now, I would put Trin, Amherst and Williams up against any top 3 teams from any other conference on a neutral site and they would hold their own nicely and win some games. Not all, but some. They play different style then what you see out West and in SUNYAC. It might not impress you Remy, but it is effective. NESCAC played interlocking schedule with ECAC East for years (until last year) and held their own fine. Everyone expected the NESCAC to drop off when that arrangement ended in 2013, but now 2 teams in FF next week with wins over Norwich and Platty when it counted. Norwich fans are the classiest I have encountered over the years. Always gracious in defeat. Smash mouth never works when you are on the losing end of a 5-1 loss.
            I saw about 5 of Williams games this year, and they didn't look as good as they had looked in the past.(watched 5-10 games each of last 10 years) They beat Gustavus(8-9-8) not convincingly and St. Olaf(6-16-3) convincingly. Didn't look as good as they had in years past at home for a couple and were totally outplayed in Hamilton. They seemed to step it up in the playoffs. I think they could hold their own vs the #3 team in any league, but don't know about a top team.

Comment

Right now, I would put Trin, Amherst and Williams up against any top 3 teams from any other conference on a neutral site and they would hold their own nicely and win some games. Not all, but some. They play different style then what you see out West and in SUNYAC. It might not impress you Remy, but it is effective. NESCAC played interlocking schedule with ECAC East for years (until last year) and held their own fine. Everyone expected the NESCAC to drop off when that arrangement ended in 2013, but now 2 teams in FF next week with wins over Norwich and Platty when it counted. Norwich fans are the classiest I have encountered over the years. Always gracious in defeat. Smash mouth never works when you are on the losing end of a 5-1 loss.
              Did anyone say they wouldn't "hold their own"? Absolutely they would. Amherst is and has always been a great match up with Plattsburgh (for example). Williams, while not the offensive power of a Trinity, has held their own (and then some) against Plattsburgh. And yes I know of the Williams blow out against Plattsburgh this year when a certain goalie went down and the other couldn't stop a beach ball that game. I think you're getting confused with people not praising Trin Trin and thinking some of us think they are a complete push-over, not the case. Some of us are not here to give you the Rah-Rah good job go team go speech. Getting terms like impressed, impressive, nice, decent goes farther for some of us. There have only been a handful of "super great" teams over the years. A lot of "nice" and "great" teams, but nothing like a "Kentucky" round ball team like this year. Too many other great teams out there. I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I agree (gulp) with what Fishman had to say...the difference in the teams 1-8 in the East is minimal at best. I'm not sure many teams would be well above .500 if they all played on a neutral site a couple dozen times. Some teams clamp down on a defensive style and wait for mistakes, some teams just run and gun with you, some teams are a mixture of both, some teams do better against certain styles.
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

This is way better than "The Voice"....
                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
                  Look at you go. Now, in your mind, Trinity gave up 70 shots to Plattsburgh
                  41 shots on goal, 29 blocked shots = 70 shots
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                    This is way better than "The Voice"....
                    *Passes the popcorn to LEL* Like movie theatre butter?
                    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      NCAA.com, but I'm sure you already knew that.
                      That is what I was reading, but they had not confirmed it on their calendar. Wanted to verify with people who knew way more than I do.

Comment

If I know way more than anybody around here, we're all in big trouble.

But yes, I've been told by AC that it's being streamed on NCAA.com
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

No no. much more fun to get into the fray and poke and prod a little. Or in my case, a lot. Went skiing today at Okemo, had a shot of Jameson and some Long Trails afterwards and saw Remy's posts and decided why not.
                          See, you'll do fine here. Keeps things interesting. Skip the Jameson tho....

I know that, which is the problem with the D3 final private rankings. totally opaque unlike the D1 rankings which are totally transparent. It is clear that the final private rankings are tweeked in ways that support the travel restrictions imposed by the schools and NCAA. We can argue the final rankings that came out until the cows come home, but ranking Amherst ahead of Norwich based on the season and conference tournaments was hard to understand. And that is just one issue I have with the final rankings. .
                          Rankings really are not that hard to understand. Mostly all stuff you can look up yourself. Just as Webb said on the other site, people try reading too much into the criteria when its pretty simple. Was their some "tweaking" in regards to the travel? Maybe moving Hobart above/below Plattsburgh, that's about it. Amherst won the criteria over everyone else, like Nate said. Some people would like to eliminate teams that lose in your Conference quarterfinals because you weren't the even the best top 2 team in your conference. But if we're ranking on what teams did in the conference tournament I guess Trinity wouldn't even have been a thought a couple weeks ago. But guess what, this isn't DI.

PS...Williams already got sent home a couple weeks ago now....
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                            I'm not here to argue with the validity of your other points, I just want to point this out... If you've been a die-hard fan of Trinity and DIII Hockey for 12 years, you obviously know that the Interlock ended after the 2010-2011 season - which is 4 years ago now - right?
                            Too much Jameson obviously....
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

That's correct, Hammer...the NC$$ handles the semis and final.
                              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Looking like an all West final again. My pick is Point. I feel their D corps will be the difference, deep and talented!

Comment

Working...
                                X