This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU 2014-15 season threat III - Jasmine gets to see us 4 more times

29 made himself some money tonight. He saved the boys.

Jasmine was spectacular. Great job!!!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Funny, I thought they were okay in the 1st. You know, save the 4 boneheaded turnovers and poor coverage that resulted in Grade A scoring chances for the Wildcats. But at least they were skating. The 2nd? Oy. Ugly. Hockey. In the third they just laid back protecting a lead like they did in the Beanpot. In the end, they gutted out a win and you have to do that if you want to win the big championship. O'Connor was outstanding tonight. He's been jumpy for awhile, so it was great to see. Oh, and the UNH kid was even better. He gives nothing down low and is way out on top of the crease. He's gonna help UNH win some regular season hardware down the road.

And I'm with defkit, why **** with the lines now? Put 'em back!

BU Hockey: Play Better and Win
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Wow. BU played a pretty poor game, and still finds a way to win. But BU better find their A-game quickly, they will go down to UML.
        Well, regardless of tomorrow night, if they're going to go ALL THE WAY they need to raise their game a level. BUT...it's been a long six years since we've been here so I'm just enjoying the ride. Up to #3 in the PWR now, so a win tomorrow guarantees a #1 seed. They seemed a little tight to me early on but once they got their legs, they were OK. UNH played hard, but the disparity in talent was very obvious (at least to me). The problem is that all this is difficult to gauge, because I don't think there is a team in the East as good as BU. So if we lose in the NCAAs it's going to be to either North Dakota, Minnesota or Mankato (IMO).

As I said a month ago, we just don't know how they're going to react because they're so inexperienced, so every game is "unexplored" territory. And, I don't know, it didn't seem to me that they "sat back" in the third. I think Tirone stole a couple of goals so it could have been a wider margin. I'll tell you one thing, it's a h * * * of a lot more fun to watch this team than under the previous administration.

Did anyone else notice this? I thought that everyone (both games) had trouble with the ice, just as in the Beanpot I noticed the same thing. Pucks bouncing over sticks, players losing an edge. Maybe it was hard and fast? Or was it just me?

Also, did anybody think it was kind of dead in there? I think that each year more and more people realize they can stay home and watch, it really hurts the gate. They announced 13,000+; that must be tickets sold, because if there were that many there (and don't say "that's the total for both games") then I'll eat my hat. I was in "Premium 139" which was right across from Loge 2 (BU section) and the upper bowl was 1/4 full and the ends pretty empty. Not a great atmosphere in my opinion.

Looking forward actually to the regionals in a smaller arena with hopefully a more "boisterous" atmosphere!

Comment

With his 2 assists Rodrigues is now the BU career leader for points in HE semifinal games with 6 and is tied for 1st for career points in semifinal and final games with 6 points. His seasonal point change is now up to 42

With his 2 goals Eichel is now at 63 points, 2 behind the BU freshman record of 65 points.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            Well, regardless of tomorrow night, if they're going to go ALL THE WAY they need to raise their game a level. BUT...it's been a long six years since we've been here so I'm just enjoying the ride. Up to #3 in the PWR now, so a win tomorrow guarantees a #1 seed. They seemed a little tight to me early on but once they got their legs, they were OK. UNH played hard, but the disparity in talent was very obvious (at least to me). The problem is that all this is difficult to gauge, because I don't think there is a team in the East as good as BU. So if we lose in the NCAAs it's going to be to either North Dakota, Minnesota or Mankato (IMO).

As I said a month ago, we just don't know how they're going to react because they're so inexperienced, so every game is "unexplored" territory. And, I don't know, it didn't seem to me that they "sat back" in the third. I think Tirone stole a couple of goals so it could have been a wider margin. I'll tell you one thing, it's a h * * * of a lot more fun to watch this team than under the previous administration.

Did anyone else notice this? I thought that everyone (both games) had trouble with the ice, just as in the Beanpot I noticed the same thing. Pucks bouncing over sticks, players losing an edge. Maybe it was hard and fast? Or was it just me?

Also, did anybody think it was kind of dead in there? I think that each year more and more people realize they can stay home and watch, it really hurts the gate. They announced 13,000+; that must be tickets sold, because if there were that many there (and don't say "that's the total for both games") then I'll eat my hat. I was in "Premium 139" which was right across from Loge 2 (BU section) and the upper bowl was 1/4 full and the ends pretty empty. Not a great atmosphere in my opinion.

Looking forward actually to the regionals in a smaller arena with hopefully a more "boisterous" atmosphere!
            Great teams have to learn how to win when they're not playing well, and that's what they did tonight. O'Connor was tremendous while the D came out nervous and flat in the first period. It actually is a good example of the balance this squad has, that one or two facets can perform substandard and they can still hold serve. The D responded in the final two periods and improved play, limiting UNH's chances to outside shots from lower-quality areas. The first line was completely taken out of the game by UNH for the vast majority of the game, so what do we do - get a greasy tap in GWG from the fourth line. You find parts that work when others are faltering, and eventually the skill showed up and Tirone cracked.

Make no mistake though, that's a quality UNH team playing with boatloads of confidence and mojo. Tirone's legit and Umile had them playing great hockey tonight. That's not a cheap win over a bad team.

Not a great win, but a workmanlike win - they found a way to get it done against a red hot team. North Dakota lost to a team tonight with basically the same record as UNH, so really, it can happen to anyone, even the more experienced teams.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              The problem is that all this is difficult to gauge, because I don't think there is a team in the East as good as BU. So if we lose in the NCAAs it's going to be to either North Dakota, Minnesota or Mankato (IMO)
              Funny you should say that.
              I've been thinking that the regional that best suits BC would be BU's.
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Friends of BU Hockey holding a pre-game get-together today at Boston Beer Works (112 Canal Street) at 5:00pm. Click here to register. For more information, please call Terrier Pride at 617.353.3008.
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                  Funny you should say that.
                  I've been thinking that the regional that best suits BC would be BU's.
                  Grumble grumble grumble. No.

So, if BU wins tonight and secures a #1 seed and the other three #1 seeds are all from the west, what is the reasoning behind sending BU to Manchester vs. Providence? If the don't win tonight, could they still get a #1 seed based on the other games and wait.....never mind. I really don't want to worry about any of that. Too confusing to think about this early.

chickod - I thought the crowd wasn't bad, especially hearing the numbers for other conferences. I'm curious to see what the crowd will be like tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Grumble grumble grumble. No.

So, if BU wins tonight and secures a #1 seed and the other three #1 seeds are all from the west, what is the reasoning behind sending BU to Manchester vs. Providence?
                    The idea, from what I read a while ago, is that BU will draw well in either Manchester or Providence. Yes, ManchVegas is slightly closer, but there's a distinctive lack of Eastern teams to help attendance. So it means that Providence needs to be there to draw. I mean, theoretically, you can switch Denver/Colgate (as it stands now) with BC/Duluth, that way you have a possible second-round draw and make it even more convenient. But if BU/Quinny is the first game in Manchester, no one is going to stick around for the second one. Then again, Colgate might be easier for Vegas than Providence. But it looks like it will be a coin flip.

Note: I'm going by this set of projections. I have a feeling a bunch is going to change this afternoon and evening, so these brackets could change mightily.
                    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                    ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                      The idea, from what I read a while ago, is that BU will draw well in either Manchester or Providence. Yes, ManchVegas is slightly closer, but there's a distinctive lack of Eastern teams to help attendance. So it means that Providence needs to be there to draw. I mean, theoretically, you can switch Denver/Colgate (as it stands now) with BC/Duluth, that way you have a possible second-round draw and make it even more convenient. But if BU/Quinny is the first game in Manchester, no one is going to stick around for the second one. Then again, Colgate might be easier for Vegas than Providence. But it looks like it will be a coin flip.

Note: I'm going by this set of projections. I have a feeling a bunch is going to change this afternoon and evening, so these brackets could change mightily.
                      Yeah, it's like your speaking a foreign language. This is why I said never mind. I was just curious if there was a specific reason for Manchester vs Providence. And Manchester is not closer than Providence. I've driven to both from Boston and have made it to Providence in less than an hour. On a non-Friday after work because you can never make it to Providence in less than 17 hours from Boston on a Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                        Friends of BU Hockey holding a pre-game get-together today at Boston Beer Works (112 Canal Street) at 5:00pm. Click here to register. For more information, please call Terrier Pride at 617.353.3008.
                        But we'll have Jasmine at The Fours for the UML pre-game which starts at 4:00 with no pre-registration. So if Mookie wants to stop by for some reason...
                        Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                        Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                        Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                          But we'll have Jasmine at The Fours for the UML pre-game which starts at 4:00 with no pre-registration. So if Mookie wants to stop by for some reason...
                          Oh, now you've gone and done it. I'm sure he'll totally be there now!! She was up in his section a few times last night. Every time they went to her I was totally expecting mookie to be there with her and we would be treated to something very entertaining.

Comment

Oh, now you've gone and done it. I'm sure he'll totally be there now!! She was up in his section a few times last night. Every time they went to her I was totally expecting mookie to be there with her and we would be treated to something very entertaining.
                            Fortunately we're not in restraining order territory yet.
                            Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

For those unaware, who is she?
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                                For those unaware, who is she?
                                Mookie just rolled over in his grave (if he were dead).

She's UML's in-game host at the Tsongas for announcements and game promotions. HE hires her every year to do the same at the Garden and NCAA is also having her do Frozen Four this year in Boston. So if you were there last night, the woman you saw on the screen running the various promotions.
                                Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X