Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Depends on who controls the Legislature. R keeps control they'll cut anything and everything to the bone. D gets a majority? 2017.

The one major polling firm released results last week showing people are willing to pay a small sales or income tax and/or give up part of their PFD check to fund the State and keep services.
    Obviously don't live there. But I would be in favor of paying something. Having a government whose hand is forced by trying to stay under those kinds of unrealistic spending restraints just cannot be good for the state as a whole.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Obviously don't live there. But I would be in favor of paying something. Having a government whose hand is forced by trying to stay under those kinds of unrealistic spending restraints just cannot be good for the state as a whole.
      Sadly, with the way our Legislature is gerrymandered, that's what will probably happen.
      Last edited by Jimjamesak; 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Problem is I'm talking about things you can quantify, while you are oddly trying to judge the law based on anecdotal evidence, which is all knuckledraggers have left! Fortunately for you, I've been consistent on this as I had two criteria for judging its success. 1) Did the uninsured rate go down. 2) Did the growth in cost increases slow down. Yes and Yes to both. No offense, but WHO CARES how you personally feel about your policy? I know I don't. So, unless someone decides to survey every single person who has an insurance policy, find out how they feel before and after, and then eliminate the people who's insurance either hasn't changed over that time even if they've changed their opinion, or those who have changed but not because of the law (job change, birth of a child, etc) this whole exercise is useless. I expect this kind of impossible to verify nonsense out of Fishy. Are you sure he hasn't stolen your password?
        A trouble with PPACA is that it will create a government bureaucracy whose sole function will be to issue rules and regulations to justify their existence. Another trouble is that having health insurance does not guarantee access to good healthcare.

If you want more people insured, find a civilian equivalent to the the Federal Employees Health Benefit Plans. The premiums are reasonable, the deductibles are reasonable, and it works.

FYI Here are the costs for HMO plans, and Fee for Service Plans (Nationwide).

My plan is JN5 under HMO. The only question would be what premium the non feds would pay. What the feds pay, or the total premium, or somewhere inbetween?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          A trouble with PPACA is that it will create a government bureaucracy whose sole function will be to issue rules and regulations to justify their existence. Another trouble is that having health insurance does not guarantee access to good healthcare.
          I don't see what extra bureaucracy you're talking about, as this is all run via the existing one (the Dept of HHS). Also, its not the law's job to mandate everyone gets good healthcare immediately. Some of that is going to be dictated by the private sector, and by consumers. I personally want to see how healthcare gets delivered change, with Minute Clinics and the like taking over for a lot of minor trips to the doctor's office.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I don't see what extra bureaucracy you're talking about, as this is all run via the existing one (the Dept of HHS). Also, its not the law's job to mandate everyone gets good healthcare immediately. Some of that is going to be dictated by the private sector, and by consumers. I personally want to see how healthcare gets delivered change, with Minute Clinics and the like taking over for a lot of minor trips to the doctor's office.
            It might not create a new department, but it's sure as heck going to expand it. In addition, the PPACA is actually run by the IRS, because if you recall, it is a tax.

"Minute Clinics" already exist, but people are still going to emergency rooms. Why? Follow the greenbacks. Take a look at the premium charges for a visit to Urgent Care or any other brand on most plans for which an average salary maker would qualify (i.e. not Medicaid). And what, do you suppose, is the resisting factor?

Comment

Double-digit premium increases in the pipeline for many states for 2016....claims are coming in at a "higher-than-expected" rate, because "more than expected" people with adverse health conditions enrolled relative to healthy ones.

[The Tennessee insurance] commissioner ... on Friday [approved] the full 36.3% increase sought by the biggest health plan in the state, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee. She said the insurer demonstrated the hefty increase for 2016 was needed to cover higher-than-expected claims from sick people who signed up for individual policies in the first two years of the Affordable Care Act.

Several regulators around the country agree with her, and have approved all or most of the big premium increases sought by the largest health plans in their states for the new sign-up season that begins Nov. 1.

Gee, what a surprise.

Kentucky ... 25.1% increase .... Oregon ... an average 25.6% increase .... Ohio ... a 14.5% increase .... Michigan ... average 11.4% increase .... Idaho ... an average 23% increase
              and from the accompanying graph, NC, MD, RI, NY, VA all over 10% higher as well, only 7 states below 10% (the rest of the states have not yet announced 2016 rates). That's 11 out of 18 so far.
              Last edited by FreshFish; 08-27-2015, 12:22 PM.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Have you recovered yet after what Roberts did to you? Did you at least get flowers the next morning?
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Have you recovered yet after what Roberts did to you? Did you at least get flowers the next morning?
                  They don't care. They've placed Roberts into the liberal camp. They only have Scalia, Alito, and Thomas now. The tears are the size of grapefruits.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    They don't care. They've placed Roberts into the liberal camp. They only have Scalia, Alito, and Thomas now. The tears are the size of grapefruits.
                    The point being made is the obvious choices of words in order to buy the sympathy of the sheeple. They're claiming health care is unaffordable, yet "affordable" is in the title of the act. The same could be said about the "PATRIOT Act", which completes the exact opposite of what our founding patriots fought for. Heck, the base word of "liberal" is "liberty", and aside from some broad who can't keep her legs together getting a child vacuumed out her uterus, what liberties are they pushing for everyone these days?

Regardless of whether you agree with the tax, the fact is that our language is being used against us by these cronies.

Comment

You know what's worse than a 25% increase in premiums? Not going permanently bankrupt because you get cancer and now can't afford treatment.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        You know what's worse than a 25% increase in premiums? Not going permanently bankrupt because you get cancer and now can't afford treatment.
                        And the "treatment" doesn't work, either... just makes you addicted so you spend even more money. The things that work have been FDA banned.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          And the "treatment" doesn't work, either... just makes you addicted so you spend even more money. The things that work have been FDA banned.
                          I will be sure to pass that message on

Just for ****s...how does one get "addicted" to chemo?
                          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

He's an idiot. Ignore him.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                              I will be sure to pass that message on

Just for ****s...how does one get "addicted" to chemo?
                              Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              He's an idiot. Ignore him.
                              Seriously, put him on ignore--or at least refrain from quoting him.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                                Seriously, put him on ignore--or at least refrain from quoting him.
                                That's how you create the ever vaunted echo chambers.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X