X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2015 Off Season Thread: Another Long Spring and Summer

Originally posted by jericho View Post
    I grew up 4 blocks from the Lansingburgh ball field. Not only were they a member of the NL, they were a CHARTER member of the NL, along with Worcester. They played for four seasons before they moved to New York and were renamed the Giants because of the tall Troy players. They later moved west to San Francisco. Back then the players were known only by their first names.
    This is why I love this site. Great posts by yourself and Waite21. Who knew that the New York Giants of my youth came from Troy, NY.
    Thanks for the posts.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      This is why I love this site. Great posts by yourself and Waite21. Who knew that the New York Giants of my youth came from Troy, NY.
      Thanks for the posts.
      If you're ever in town for a game, you should try making the short drive north to Knickerbacker Park. You'll see the baseball field that they used to play on (or, at least, the general area that it was located in), but the field was located in the park almost where it is now. Just beyond center field is a monument with some history about the team, along with a list of all major leaguers from Troy, whether they are in the HOF or not. Perhaps the most famous of which are Boo King, Michael Kelly, and the middle portion of the most famous double play combination in the history of the game, Johnny Evers.

Who knew that the New York Giants of my youth came from Troy, NY.
      I did.
      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

If you're ever in town for a game, you should try making the short drive north to Knickerbacker Park. You'll see the baseball field that they used to play on (or, at least, the general area that it was located in), but the field was located in the park almost where it is now. Just beyond center field is a monument with some history about the team, along with a list of all major leaguers from Troy, whether they are in the HOF or not. Perhaps the most famous of which are Boo King, Michael Kelly, and the middle portion of the most famous double play combination in the history of the game, Johnny Evers.

I did.
        The Giants were from Troy... it is true. And when they played briefly in Lansingburgh, that was a separate community. In the early years of the 20th century, the 'burgh was a separate village. West Troy was part of Troy but became Watervliet. Shortly thereafter, leaders of Lansingburgh and Troy got together and Lansingburgh was incorporated into Troy. One change: Lansingburgh's streets were renumbered (101st Street, 102nd Street...) as Troy already a First Street, Second Street, etc.

Comment

Today is 1 May 2015. There are 155 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2015 for the start of next season.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            Thanks for the posts.
            Back in the day I remember talking to some old-timers in my hometown of Saugerties. They would tell me of when the NY Giants & the great Christy Mathewson would stop in Saug. on their barnstorming tour. The field was where the current Thruway Southbound Exit is now. I remember asking why would they come here?.....”because it was on their way from where they originally were from, Troy”. Now there’s your so-called “small market”.
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              Back in the day I remember talking to some old-timers in my hometown of Saugerties. They would tell me of when the NY Giants & the great Christy Mathewson would stop in Saug. on their barnstorming tour. The field was where the current Thruway Southbound Exit is now. I remember asking why would they come here?.....”because it was on their way from where they originally were from, Troy”. Now there’s your so-called “small market”.
              There was a time when Troy was the third largest city in the country. Around the time of the industrial revolution, when shirt collars ("Collar City") and iron and steel works were booming. It was also a big center of illegal activity. You had Mame Faye, owner of one of the biggest, ahem, entertainment venues for our military personnel going to and returning from the war. It is the home of Legs Diamond, who was gunned down by even bigger and tougher mobster than he was, and was an important stop for the mob in their transport of materials for a new gambling mecca out in the Nevada desert. You also had Bat Shea and Robert Ross, two of the central figures in a ballot-fixing ring (So I guess there is some history when Troy people stuff the ballet box for Hobey votes ) during the time of Boss Tweed and the big machine politics of that era. You should read "The Trial of Bat Shea," to get an accurate history of what Troy was like back in that time. If people took the time to appreciate the history and uniqueness of OGC (Our Great City) maybe we could get it back to the jewel of the Hudson that it once was.

Comment

There was a time when Troy was the third largest city in the country. Around the time of the industrial revolution, when shirt collars ("Collar City") and iron and steel works were booming. It was also a big center of illegal activity. You had Mame Faye, owner of one of the biggest, ahem, entertainment venues for our military personnel going to and returning from the war. It is the home of Legs Diamond, who was gunned down by even bigger and tougher mobster than he was, and was an important stop for the mob in their transport of materials for a new gambling mecca out in the Nevada desert. You also had Bat Shea and Robert Ross, two of the central figures in a ballot-fixing ring (So I guess there is some history when Troy people stuff the ballet box for Hobey votes ) during the time of Boss Tweed and the big machine politics of that era. You should read "The Trial of Bat Shea," to get an accurate history of what Troy was like back in that time. If people took the time to appreciate the history and uniqueness of OGC (Our Great City) maybe we could get it back to the jewel of the Hudson that it once was.
                Legs Diamond was another “famous name” who would often frequent local establishments in Saugerties. 9W was the main road ATT & it goes through the center of the Village. Heard a lot of stories about his many stop-overs. A goldmine of history to sit and listen to “Old Timers”......as long as you were buying
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Today is 2 May 2015. There are 154 days (22 weeks) until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Was a goal horn video compiled for last season? (It should be short. )
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wasn't it you who posted a while back that a relative was a mailman who delivered mail to Mame Faye?

Edit: I just looked. It was your grandfather.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-02-2015, 06:01 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Wasn't it you who posted a while back that a relative was a mailman who delivered mail to Mame Faye?

Edit: I just looked. It was your grandfather.
                        Yeah, not to toot my own horn (though I certainly would if I could-David Letterman) but my grandfather was also kinda popular in his own right. After coming home from the war, started his own restaurant, The Viaduct Bar and Grill, involved in the post office and postal union for 50 years, founder of the youth Pop Warner program to which I am still involved in today, founder and organizer of Troy's Memorial Day and Uncle Sam Day Parade, former mayor, etc...Not to mention, a paratrooper on Iwo Jima who got his ear shot off and left for dead. He spent nine months recovering in a German hospital. He was the first inductee into the New York State Veterans Hall of Fame, among other achievements. He was a very, very good man and a great grandfather. His death in 2007 hit me hard, but it was a great life. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Love you Papa.

Comment

Congrats & good luck to Andrew Franks who signed a contract with the Miami Dolphins.... http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...?path=football

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                            Congrats & good luck to Andrew Franks who signed a contract with the Miami Dolphins.... http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...?path=football
                            Good for him.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 3 May 2015. There are 153 days (5 months) until RPI's next game.

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-03-2015, 04:25 PM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Possible that BC home & home to be part of the schedule starting in Troy this upcoming season. Should hear very soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X