X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2015 Off Season Thread: Another Long Spring and Summer

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    It matters if one counts 30 as being in the 30s. It's the same question as which year was the first one of this century.

When I was young pro teams only carried two goalies, and they were almost always 1 and 30. The highest number for RPI in the late 60s was 20. No more were needed since we had such small rosters.
    I would count 30 as part of the 30s, but okay. I personally think goalies should wear 1 or 30-35, defensemen should wear 2-9, and forwards should wear 10-29, but that's just me.

He transferred to Adrian College where he got more ice time.
    Oh okay. Kind of like Andrew Commers after his freshman year. Thanks for the info.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I count Haggerty's 39 and Watts's 33 as high numbers used since Farynuk.
      Christian Morrissette wore 36.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        I was looking at Dillon's Hockey's Future profile and noticed that he was coming off a 3.96 GAA/.890 save % season in Junior B when Seth offered him. Those certainly aren't overwhelming stats, but Seth must have an eye for goaltending talent as the kid blew up as a prospect in the following two years. That's the gamble when you are recruiting young kids but it is the trend in college hockey and we have to take such risks. Fortunately, we seem to have found a replacement that is at the least a solid prospect and maybe more. If I remember correctly Joel Laing was a late addition that worked out extremely well so hopefully lightning will strike again.
        All correct. You and i know full well that this team has been and will be only as good as the coaching will take it.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
          I was just looking at rosters and saw that Watts was a sophomore my freshman year, when I admittedly wasn't paying very close attention to the specific players on the ice. Why didn't he come back for the other two years of his eligibility?
          He transferred to Adrian College where he got more ice time.
          .....just to add on to this, Watts was one the Assistant Coaches of Brady Wiffen's @ Trenton last year.
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            .....just to add on to this, Watts was one the Assistant Coaches of Brady Wiffen's @ Trenton last year.
            How did that slip my mind?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I don’t know because you were the first to catch that last year.
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                I don’t know because you were the first to catch that last year.
                I certainly remember it. It just didn't dawn on me when I posted that he went to Adrian. t would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall whenever Watts and Wiffen talked about SA.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                  What do you want them to wear? 1 and ???
                  Speaking of wearing number 1, the only goaltender who has worn #1 since SA took over the reins is Jordan Alford, who had the number prior to Seth arriving. So OGC has never given out that number to a goalie (or anyone else).
                  Interested in seeing if Cam Hackett gets that number, since he wore it last season.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                    Speaking of wearing number 1, the only goaltender who has worn #1 since SA took over the reins is Jordan Alford, who had the number prior to Seth arriving. So OGC has never given out that number to a goalie (or anyone else).
                    Interested in seeing if Cam Hackett gets that number, since he wore it last season.
                    Jake Soffer wore number one also.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 18 June 2015. There are 107 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2015 for the start of next season.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It matters if one counts 30 as being in the 30s. It's the same question as which year was the first one of this century.

When I was young pro teams only carried two goalies, and they were almost always 1 and 30. The highest number for RPI in the late 60s was 20. No more were needed since we had such small rosters.
                        Back in the 80's RPI goalies all wore #1, for whatever reason, I never quite understood. Scott Saari and Brian Jopling were players who broke the trend...
                        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Jake Soffer wore number one also.
                          Major OOPS! My bad. Thanks for catching that Ralph. 😯

Comment

Ralph, you being about my age, when you were young,
                            the NHL teams only carried one goalie. And the home team provided a "house goalie" to come in and replace an injured goaltender from either team.
                            And as I recall, all the goalies wore #1.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              Ralph, you being about my age, when you were young,
                              the NHL teams only carried one goalie. And the home team provided a "house goalie" to come in and replace an injured goaltender from either team.
                              And as I recall, all the goalies wore #1.
                              I am in that bracket with you and what you mentioned is exactly the way it was. My first hockey game seen in person (obviously since there were no televised games) was the early 50's of course at MSG(not the new one) against the hated, but very good, Canadiens. Both the Rangers and Montreal each had only one goaltender.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Old age.
                                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Working...
                                X