This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2015 Off Season Thread: Another Long Spring and Summer

Today is 23 June 2015. There are 102 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2015 for the start of next season.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-23-2015, 11:17 PM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
      I work with a bunch of people from Long Island and NYC. They consider upstate to be anything north of the GW or Throgs Neck.
      Well, if you were to draw the dividing line based on location of population, with half the state's population above the line, and half the state's population below the line, then "upstate" probably is anything north of Yonkers or Westchester.

https://www.maps.com/ref_map.aspx?pid=12613

Looking at that map, I'd say if you draw a line across New York from Connecticut's northern border to Pennsylvania's northern border, anything north of that line would qualify as "upstate" by many measures, which means that Albany and Troy would definitely be in upstate NY.

Weighting your dividing line purely by square footage is not the way that most thinking people would do so; the concept of "upstate" is far less literally geographic than it is with weighted population center, cultural center, economic activity center, etc etc etc. Only a petty narrow-minded annoying scold would continue to maintain otherwise!
      Last edited by FreshFish; 06-23-2015, 07:55 AM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Have fun trying to convince the majority of people from Buffalo and Rochester that they're in "Upstate NY" and not "Western NY". I dare you to take that to the RIT thread.

FWIW, the attempt to split the state into the New York City and "New Amsterdam" autonomous regions puts the region line at the northern border of Rockland and Westchester counties. This does not, however, signify the upstate line.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Have fun trying to convince the majority of people from Buffalo and Rochester that they're in "Upstate NY" and not "Western NY". I dare you to take that to the RIT thread.

FWIW, the attempt to split the state into the New York City and "New Amsterdam" autonomous regions puts the region line at the northern border of Rockland and Westchester counties. This does not, however, signify the upstate line.
          To me, Upstate NY and Downstate NY are two regions which cover all of NY together. There certainly are other terms for parts of New York, e.g. Western New York, and the Capital District. With that assumption, the logical choice for the demarcation seems to me to be the northern borders of Rockland and Westchester counties.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Since this is a hockey thread, and the NHL draft is just days away, do we have anyone in the RPI directory that might get drafted on Saturday? (I suspect that we don't have anyone who would be considered in the first round).

Once this question is answered, you can go back to the New York State geography lesson.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              Since this is a hockey thread, and the NHL draft is just days away, do we have anyone in the RPI directory that might get drafted on Saturday? (I suspect that we don't have anyone who would be considered in the first round).

Once this question is answered, you can go back to the New York State geography lesson.
              None are likely. I suppose someone like Bell might be drafted. 2016 recruit Austin Cho was #100 on the last NHL CSB list, but he is not in the directory. Hackett is also a slight possibility, but he isn't in the directory yet either. Most of our incoming class is too old, too small, too ...
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-23-2015, 11:35 AM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

From last year’s Roster only Bradley Bell is eligible for the Draft (1/1/95 to 9/14/97). Of the incoming Fr. only Rodriguez & Tironese are eligible. I assume both are in the directory by now. I wouldn’t expect any of those to be Drafted. After Posting I saw Ralph had answered, yes Hackett is also eligible....forgot him.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I don't expect to be here at 8:04 AM tomorrow, so I will repost this now.

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  BTW, the halfway point of the off-season is a week from today, 6/24/15, at 8:04 AM. That is based upon our last game ending at 9:08 PM on 3/14/15, and the next starting at 7 PM on 10/3/15. Both are in EDT, so an adjustment for that is not needed.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    From last year’s Roster only Bradley Bell is eligible for the Draft (1/1/95 to 9/14/97). Of the incoming Fr. only Rodriguez & Tironese are eligible. I assume both are in the directory by now. I wouldn’t expect any of those to be Drafted. After Posting I saw Ralph had answered, yes Hackett is also eligible....forgot him.
                    Thanks to you and Ralph for the response.
                    Now, where does upstate New York start?
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    Gary Player

Comment

Today is 24 June 2015. There are 101 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2015 for the start of next season.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks to you and Ralph for the response.
                        Now, where does upstate New York start?
                        That question has already been answered.

Comment

Hope guys are working hard this summer
                          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

I missed all of this important posting-are we talking about upscale New York? Then I might have some interest.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              I missed all of this important posting-are we talking about upscale New York? Then I might have some interest.
                              Yes there seems to be some very passionate feelings about where Upstate New York starts.
                              You are more than welcome to give your opinion.
                              As for me, Upstate is north of where ever I am at the time.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              Gary Player

Comment

As for me, Upstate is north of where ever I am at the time.
                                Good philosophy. I'll remember that next time I'm in Massena; upstate is non-existent.

Comment

Working...
                                X