Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global War on Terror Version 7 - The Nightmare that Threatens the World!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global War on Terror Version 7 - The Nightmare that Threatens the World!!!

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Our military has done exactly what for Israel?
    You're kidding, right? Israel would have been a smoking hole in the ground thirty years ago if it weren't for our military aid and "assistance." The Israelis couldn't even beat Hezbollah in a pitched battle on the IDF's own terms in 2006.

These aren't the Inglorious Basterd "Bear Jew" fighters of the Six Day War anymore. They're a bureaucratic nightmare weekend warrior wasteland leaning on superior US weaponry in the relaxing shade of the US Armed Forces umbrella. 16 Kurds could probably take Tel Aviv if Uncle Sam had to take a leak.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Our military has done exactly what for Israel? You make it sound like Israel somehow has been sending our military into places we don't want it to go. To the extent we've done that, it's our fault, not Israel's. I know that doesn't fit the tidy political narrative of why Obama is treating Israel shabbily and it's supposedly warranted, but facts are facts.
      Bob, Netanyahu wants us to scuttle any deal at all with Iran over nukes, but then still prevent them from attaining nukes. Anybody with half a brain knows that means a military intervention. What I'm saying is if Israel is so concerned about Iran, I fully support THEM bombing Iran THEMSELVES. What exactly is the problem with that country taking care of their own issues?
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        It's pretty bad, Bob. I know your side did it so you feel duty bound to minimize it, but on the scale of diplomatic blunders it's spectacular, if only because it makes the authors looks like they have the international gravitas of Kim Jong Un.

We're used to seeing these type of hissy fits emitted by the GOP, but the world isn't immunized yet, and they still get a big laugh out of it. Does that matter in the long run? Maybe not substantively, but it has to affect the way the international community will regard American standing the next time the bad guys are in charge. A GOP candidate would actually earn some respect if he made it a Sister Souljah Moment to beatchslap the yokels.
        Worse yet, think of what it does to our allies. You're Andrea Merkel, a conservative like Bob, and you've spent years negotiating a deal with Iran, only to have it potenially blow up because of a handful of senators in the US. Why would you ever put in the effort like this again with the United States, no matter who the President is? Same thing with Cameron, again another right leaning leader. Bob is so hell bent on embarassing Obama he doesn't realize the long term damage his party is attempting to do. What goes around comes around, and if President Cruz tries to negotiate a deal with say Israel, what's to stop a Dem senate from vetoing it before they even know what's in the deal? Nothing, now that the precedent has (possibly) been set.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

OMG. Obummer has destroyed our relationship with Israel. What will we ever do?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Bob is so hell bent on embarrassing Obama he doesn't realize the long term damage his party is attempting to do.
            This explains about 70% of Republican activity the last 6 years. They stoked up a tidal wave of visceral hatred against the president for purely political purposes, and now they're forced to swim with it.

They hated Carter and Clinton like this, too (not LBJ -- liberals were the ones who hated him), and I never thought I'd see the Republicans be more reckless than their impeachment of Clinton, but they managed to actually do themselves one better with Obama. I'm sure if Hillary wins the hatred will be even worse, the rhetoric will be even more Biblical, the threats will be even more naked. At some point the fever has to break -- either they'll renounce the cray cray or they'll tip over into actual paramilitary violence.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You're kidding, right? Israel would have been a smoking hole in the ground thirty years ago if it weren't for our military aid and "assistance." The Israelis couldn't even beat Hezbollah in a pitched battle on the IDF's own terms in 2006.

These aren't the Inglorious Basterd "Bear Jew" fighters of the Six Day War anymore. They're a bureaucratic nightmare weekend warrior wasteland leaning on superior US weaponry in the relaxing shade of the US Armed Forces umbrella. 16 Kurds could probably take Tel Aviv if Uncle Sam had to take a leak.
              Of course we give them aid. But they didn't get us into Iraq or Afghanistan or anywhere else. The phrase "military on call" means that they get us involved in things militarily. That hasn't been the case to date. What the future holds, nobody knows. If I was Bibi, I certainly wouldn't assume Obama would do anything for me militarily.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Worse yet, think of what it does to our allies. You're Andrea Merkel, a conservative like Bob, and you've spent years negotiating a deal with Iran, only to have it potenially blow up because of a handful of senators in the US. Why would you ever put in the effort like this again with the United States, no matter who the President is? Same thing with Cameron, again another right leaning leader. Bob is so hell bent on embarassing Obama he doesn't realize the long term damage his party is attempting to do. What goes around comes around, and if President Cruz tries to negotiate a deal with say Israel, what's to stop a Dem senate from vetoing it before they even know what's in the deal? Nothing, now that the precedent has (possibly) been set.
                Obama is nothing more than a sign of the times, what our nation is becoming and the direction it's headed. I don't hate him, but I can observe his many failures and shortcomings. I know doing so get me the label hater, but that says something about those who throw the hater label around, not me. I'm sure there's worse to come after him, if that makes you feel better.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Of course we give them aid. But they didn't get us into Iraq or Afghanistan or anywhere else. The phrase "military on call" means that they get us involved in things militarily. That hasn't been the case to date. What the future holds, nobody knows. If I was Bibi, I certainly wouldn't assume Obama would do anything for me militarily.
                  I agree with you that GW1, GW2 and Afghanistan aren't on Israel -- the first two were strategic resource wars and the third was the GWOT. Israel mostly uses the US like a weak bully uses his stronger older brother. Israel picks on some even weaker kid, and if anybody gets mad about it Israel whistles and Stumble Baby America lunks into view, drooling missiles. The Israeli right and the US right have formed a mutual admiration society to justify each other's bellicosity, but in each case the nation is pursuing a domestic political program, not a proxy war.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I'm just all in a panic. We're not friends with Israel and ISIS is coming to a town near me. Oh my gosh what do I do?
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: Global War on Terror Version 7 - The Nightmare that Threatens the World!!!

Obama is nothing more than a sign of the times, what our nation is becoming and the direction it's headed. I don't hate him, but I can observe his many failures and shortcomings. I know doing so get me the label hater, but that says something about those who throw the hater label around, not me. I'm sure there's worse to come after him, if that makes you feel better.
                      I think we assume symbolism far too quickly, but if the choice of the Sign of the Times is Dubya vs Obama, I know where I'm more comfortable.

The great irony is on paper Obama is everything the GOP ever said was great about America... as long as it stayed in theory. Turns out they only like an American success story when it's their guy.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Re: Global War on Terror Version 7 - The Nightmare that Threatens the World!!!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        I'm just all in a panic. We're not friends with Israel and ISIS is coming to a town near me. Oh my gosh what do I do?
                        Don't worry, Ebola is slated for a comeback during the next election cycle. It'll probably get you* first.

(* Fewer Americans were killed by Ebola than by New England Patriots.)
                        Cornell University

Comment

I think we assume symbolism far too quickly, but if the choice of the Sign of the Times is Dubya vs Obama, I know where I'm more comfortable.

The great irony is on paper Obama is everything the GOP ever said was great about America... as long as it stayed in theory. Turns out they only like an American success story when it's their guy.
                          I would be shocked if you didn't see this quite differently than I do.

I don't get that second one at all, but I'll chalk it up to you thinking Obama is a whole lot better in many ways than I do, so you think he meets GOP visions of America somehow.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I agree with you that GW1, GW2 and Afghanistan aren't on Israel -- the first two were strategic resource wars and the third was the GWOT. Israel mostly uses the US like a weak bully uses his stronger older brother. Israel picks on some even weaker kid, and if anybody gets mad about it Israel whistles and Stumble Baby America lunks into view, drooling missiles. The Israeli right and the US right have formed a mutual admiration society to justify each other's bellicosity, but in each case the nation is pursuing a domestic political program, not a proxy war.
                            I guess it goes back to how one views Israel. If one views Israel as the bully looking for trouble, as you posit, then what you say above has some truth to it. If you view Israel as mostly wanting to be left alone, but being aggressive at times to head off problems coming its way, then the above narrative doesn't fit nearly as well.

Certainly close U.S. - Israel ties have been a factor all parties involved in the Middle East have been aware of over time and if the U.S. cut Israel adrift, they would be at much more risk of people picking more fights with them (or under your scenario them picking less fights with others). Of course things like them having nukes will cause folks who would like to see them destroyed to pause a little before trying to push them into the Mediterranean.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              There is always Providence.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Scooby is always in a panic.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X