Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global War on Terror Version 7 - The Nightmare that Threatens the World!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Global War on Terror Version 7 - The Nightmare that Threatens the World!!!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Are you smiling when you're nailed to your own cross, or does that come sometime afterwards?
    None of the yammering that goes on here impacts whether my day is full of smiles. My life bring plenty of happiness to me.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Re: Global War on Terror Version 7 - The Nightmare that Threatens the World!!!

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      Actually if you look at the history of our nation, for most of our nation's history the general sense was that things were getting better. Talking to older generations, that was the sense through a large part of their life, until relatively recently.
      You definitely have the right surname, Bob. "Vague" would be a little more apt, but odd, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        You know what's funny? It's the conservatives that have smiles on their faces, and the lefties that have the scowls.
        You have that exactly backwards.

Liberals frown about the mistreatment of people and smile about social freedom.

Conservatives smile about the mistreatment of people and frown about social freedom.

So it all kinda evens out.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Conservatives smile about the mistreatment of people and frown about social freedom.

Surely you jest!?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And halos. Liberals have halos, which you cannot wear with a frown.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              You definitely have the right surname, Bob. "Vague" would be a little more apt, but odd, I guess.
              Blah, blah, blah.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

People around here seem to manage.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  The Arab Nations use Palestinians as weapons and Israel as means to raise capitol and centralize power. America uses Palestinians as a check on Israel (and to prove they care) and uses Israel as the guard dog and a beach head. (and to get some of that awesome Jewish money they covet so much) Well guess what, the Palestinians dont buy our BS anymore (nor should they) and the Israelis know we are all bark and no bite. No matter who is in charge it is always "we sympathize with what you are going through, but now is a time for peace and to fix things" which sounds great except for the fact that what is good for the goose isnt quite good for the gander. It took 1 attack on America and we stole rights from the people, created a surveillance state that would make H.G. Wells blush and spy on our own allies. And that just didnt happen under W, the great Liberal Wing had control over Congress and the Presidency and spit on the Constitution just as much.
                  The problem with you hyperventilating about this as a supposed rebuttal to me is I agree with every word of it.

Let's disentangle this from US politics and maybe you'll be able to step back from the edge a bit. The point is that Likud has always wrapped itself in the blue hexagram and cries that ANYBODY -- domestic or foreign, Jew or gentile -- who calls them on their murderous BS is an anti-Semitic surrender monkey who wants to see the Hidden Imam dancing on the glowing nuked remains of Tel Aviv.

That card gets played so hard and so often it was already a thoroughly discredited rhetorical strategy in the 80s. We'll ignore its effect on US politicians and political debates and just concentrate on its (lack of) merit. It's a way for the right in Israel to mobilize their extremist supporters and demonize anyone who might even in principle partially object to their settlement / ghettoization strategy. Plenty of Israelis loathe them for it -- even plenty of Israeli Jews. Telling Bibi there are limits to the US putting up with his constant ratcheting up of rhetoric and violence in no way backs off from the US commitment to an alliance with Israel. It just underlines the simple fact of international diplomacy that in a defensive alliance between X and Y, X is not necessarily obligated to help Y if they haul off and attack Z.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 03-19-2015, 12:13 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

From pictures I've seen on the government sites listing the representatives, I have it correct.

Comment

Everybody has a halo. Liberals only want to save your life; conservatives only want to save your soul.

(If you're Christian. Otherwise you can just fck off and die.)
                      Cornell University

Comment

Since in every age most people have thought "the world is in decline" it is either a psychological reaction to aging or the world has literally been in decline for as long as we have written records. I find the latter hypothesis unlikely.

Here's how I find the world different from 35 years ago, my earliest personal comparison point:

+ there is less overt racism
                        + there is less overt sexism
                        + there is far, far less homophobia
                        + more people have at least the possibility of exposure to more knowledge via the internet
                        + there is less violent crime
                        + the threat of nuclear annihilation is less
                        + people don't just throw their litter everywhere
                        + there's much less smoking
                        + there appears to be much less "routinized" child and spousal abuse
                        + many technologies, particularly in medicine, are far improved

To me, those are all concrete improvements in the quality of life of most people. I would say that objectively the median experience today is superior to the median experience in 1980 both materially (more cool stuff) and morally (fewer people being treated like crap).
                        This is way too optimistic, you need to turn in your liberal card or get your attitude adjusted. Remember, the world is about to end any day now in an overheated, extremely stormy, acidified ball of death because of internal combustion engines.
                        The evilscary Koch brothers are going to buy the United States and enslave us all at a minimum wage that will be too low to buy our daily gruel.
                        Some people will insist on continuing to have families including babies.
                        And worst of all, some people are still trying to hold religious beliefs. The world is a bitter, terrible place.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          From pictures I've seen on the government sites listing the representatives, I have it correct.
                          But the government sites are part of the conspiracy, so obviously the truth is the opposite...
                          Last edited by Kepler; 03-19-2015, 12:18 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            This is way too optimistic, you need to turn in your liberal card or get your attitude adjusted. Remember, the world is about to end any day now in an overheated, extremely stormy, acidified ball of death because of internal combustion engines.
                            The evilscary Koch brothers are going to buy the United States and enslave us all at a minimum wage that will be too low to buy our daily gruel.
                            Some people will insist on continuing to have families including babies.
                            And worst of all, some people are still trying to hold religious beliefs. The world is a bitter, terrible place.
                            You forgot "and people are STILL not free to marry box turtles!"
                            Cornell University

Comment

You forgot "and people are STILL not free to marry box turtles!"
                              I'm missing your point a little bit, but the "complaint" about people having families stems from some goofball I read this morning claiming that if people don't stop having those terrible babies, the food is about to run out. Of course the same mournful laments have been wailing for a hundred years now and we're more well-fed than ever, even though the population has increased significantly.
                              Yeah, not going to do away with my kids just yet.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                I'm missing your point a little bit, but the "complaint" about people having families stems from some goofball I read this morning claiming that if people don't stop having those terrible babies, the food is about to run out. Of course the same mournful laments have been wailing for a hundred years now and we're more well-fed than ever, even though the population has increased significantly.
                                Yeah, not going to do away with my kids just yet.
                                Population control is part of Dr. Day's warning, and food is one of the factors.

Comment

Working...
                                X