Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Coach???

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Based on what just happened with our previous coach, I don't think Shannon Miller would be a fit here as Mrs 86 and I have heard her vociferously berating her players in the curtained-off area next to the entrance of the visitor locker room. I think the athletic department just forced a guy to resign for doing things like that. One person I sincerely hope is one of those four would be Jenny Potter. She just finished her second season at Division III Trinity College in CT where she led them to the NCAA Division III Playoffs. They were beaten by Elmira in OT, IIRC. I am sure UMD will make a push for her, but if they are as strapped financially as their athletic department says they are, I would think Ohio State could outbid them. We'll see. The OSU Athletic Department has to come through here. Dropping the ball with an underwhelming hire and setting the program back is not an option.
    OSU has the most resources of any school. I think it is likely the prime coaching position especially with Suave there and the class coming in.

Prime Candidates:
    Mike Sisti - Mercyhurst (My guess he is the candidate at OSU unless someone "better" wins it).
    Joel Johnson - UM (Does he want a HC job? If so, OSU has the resources. Stay in Minnesota at UMD or MSU or leave for probably the best situation at OSU.)
    Dan Koch - UW (Mankato may be a better fit - lives in Faribault. Pipeline of talent from SSM an hour away. May be time to jump instead of waiting for Jonson to retire.)
    Jenny Potter - TU (most ties to UMD and UMD likely needs a women).

Comment

One person I sincerely hope is one of those four would be Jenny Potter.
      On the other thread people keep darkly hinting that she has some horrible baggage but multiple requests for information as to what those would be have been ignored. I'm waiting to see if you mentioning her here will bring them out for further hinting.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
        OSU has the most resources of any school. I think it is likely the prime coaching position especially with Suave there and the class coming in.

Prime Candidates:
        Mike Sisti - Mercyhurst (My guess he is the candidate at OSU unless someone "better" wins it).
        Joel Johnson - UM (Does he want a HC job? If so, OSU has the resources. Stay in Minnesota at UMD or MSU or leave for probably the best situation at OSU.)
        Dan Koch - UW (Mankato may be a better fit - lives in Faribault. Pipeline of talent from SSM an hour away. May be time to jump instead of waiting for Jonson to retire.)
        Let me throw a name out there: Manon Rheaume. Has all the requirements. Coached a number of the incoming commits. Her brother played in the NHL and has been coaching with her. She has a good gig going so would be tough to pull her in but she would add some instant credibility to the program.

Comment

Prime Candidates:
          Sisti is the King of Mercyhurst! Would he ever leave what he has in Erie? Will OSU feel the need to hire a female coach as a result of the recent events? I still think that Jackie Friesen (UW) is a top candidate and that Potter will end up at UMD.

Comment

Prime Candidates:
            Dan Koch would be an Awesome head coach!

Comment

Courtney Kennedy from BC is an obvious candidate, especially since she's already had experience coaching Jincy Dunne with the U18s.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                On the other thread people keep darkly hinting that she has some horrible baggage but multiple requests for information as to what those would be have been ignored. I'm waiting to see if you mentioning her here will bring them out for further hinting.
                I was curious about that myself because I had not heard anything about Jenny Potter having any baggage, but as you said, those who made those statements did not respond to your inquiries. All of the candidates mentioned in this thread are solid candidates. I would be happy to get any of them. I had not thought of a couple of them, so thanks to those who mentioned the additional candidates. Hopefully this gets wrapped up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
                  Courtney Kennedy from BC is an obvious candidate, especially since she's already had experience coaching Jincy Dunne with the U18s.
                  Not that it is that big a deal, but Joel Johnson, as head coach, coached Dunne and Gardner this spring - winning gold with the U18.

Comment

Not that it is that big a deal, but Joel Johnson, as head coach, coached Dunne and Gardner this spring - winning gold with the U18.
                    Salvaging the great recruiting class we have coming in certainly has to factor into OSU's decision!

Comment

Yeah Dan Koch would be a great coach at either Mankato or Ohio St. but, he isn't leaving Madison! He left SSM to go back to UW four years ago.. and I'll bet he knows he will be the the next Badger head coach when Coach Johnson steps down or moves to another position.. He also is not from Faribault.. He is from Madison. Graduated from a Madison high school and attended UW. I'll also bet he is one of the highest paid assistants in all of college hockey.. I do agree he will be on the top of the list to fill coaching vacancies this off season though!
                      Originally posted by Call It View Post
                      Dan Koch would be an Awesome head coach!
                      Last edited by rangersrule; 03-17-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I believe that his wife works as SSM so he may live there now.

Comment

I was curious about that myself because I had not heard anything about Jenny Potter having any baggage, but as you said, those who made those statements did not respond to your inquiries. All of the candidates mentioned in this thread are solid candidates. I would be happy to get any of them. I had not thought of a couple of them, so thanks to those who mentioned the additional candidates. Hopefully this gets wrapped up soon.
                          Yeah, it seems they are avoiding anything but hinting and I find that odd. I hope they get a coach on par with the talent they have coming in & one that treats the team and the game right. Just leave Joel Johnson the heck alone!!

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                            Yeah Dan Koch would be a great coach at either Mankato or Ohio St. but, he isn't leaving Madison! He left SSM to go back to UW four years ago.. and I'll bet he knows he will be the the next Badger head coach when Coach Johnson steps down or moves to another position.
                            How'd that plan work out for Mel Pearson?

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              Yeah, it seems they are avoiding anything but hinting and I find that odd. I hope they get a coach on par with the talent they have coming in & one that treats the team and the game right. Just leave Joel Johnson the heck alone!!
                              No question about it, I would be thrilled with either of the associate head coaches from Minnesota or Wisconsin (Joel Johnson or Dan Koch), but as I told the wife on the way home, I would be concerned that they would leave to go back to those schools when the current head coaches retire or leave for other positions. I would prefer to bring in someone who is going to stay and build the program up. I certainly appreciate your statement of well wishes regarding getting a coach who is on par with the talent and treats the team & game the right way. That is obviously important to us fans, and it better be important to the persons responsible for making the decision on who we hire! I am cautiously optimistic that our athletic department will hit one out of the park with this hire, but the other side of me is thinking about the track record of our athletic department just flat out not giving a rip about the hockey programs and finding a way to blow a great opportunity to bring in a big time coach that will get us to the next level. Time will tell. As others have alluded to, I expect this to be finished at some point next week. The thing that really makes me think some of those candidates are a pipe dream for us OSU fans is the way the athletic department here treats hockey as an afterthought. It's been that way for a while, and I am sure potential candidates are well aware of how things are done here. That is what concerns me the most about our ability to bring in a difference-making coach. Our athletic department really needs a culture change when it comes to how they view and treat hockey (men's and women's). Some of our fans might debate this with me (one already dismissed my notion that the OSU Ice Rink is hurting recruiting despite being the worst facility in the WCHA), but actions speak louder than words. Maybe our athletic department will surprise me. I am really enjoying this discussion. Keep the posts and the speculation coming, friends!

Comment

No question about it, I would be thrilled with either of the associate head coaches from Minnesota or Wisconsin (Joel Johnson or Dan Koch), but as I told the wife on the way home, I would be concerned that they would leave to go back to those schools when the current head coaches retire or leave for other positions.
                                Frost and Joel Johnson are contemporaries, so I don't think you'd have to worry that Johnson would be waiting for Frost to get old. As for Frost leaving, I'm not sure where he'd go? Once a coach starts in the women's game, it isn't like he seems to be on the radar of men's teams. I'm sure Frost didn't grow up dreaming of being the women's hockey coach at Minnesota, but he may be hard pressed to think of a better job at this point for which he'd be a candidate. He's young enough that he could become an assistant for a men's team and then get a higher-profile head coaching job, but IMO, that's what it would take.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X