Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey Expansion

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Practice and play rinks can be the same.

Some schools may be tipped too heavy toward female sports proportionally to the student enrollment. Adding Mens Hockey only could balance things out.
    How many schools can afford a "hockey only" ice facility? Because that's what you have to have if team is going to practice there and play there, whenever they want to/need to. Most schools with an arena either have a multipurpose facility (hockey, basketball, volleyball, concerts, commencements, etc.) or they play in some municipal facility used for the very same things. If it's multipurpose, it has to be a two rink facility (which is what UNO is nearing the completion of and is what Penn State built as well). You can't play or practice when the arena is set-up for basketball.

Almost NO school in the entire country is in "true" Title IX compliance (which includes the University of Nebraska who endows a fair number more men's athletic scholarships than it does women's athletic scholarships):

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/...-in-compliance

I'd like to see a list of schools that are women's athletic scholarship-heavy. I bet they are few and far between and I'd go so far as to say that no Power 5 conference school (read: schools with D-1 football) can make that claim without even looking to see if I am right. Not a one, I bet. Can anyone refute this? I reserve the right to be wrong but I bet I'm not.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 03-12-2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      How many schools can afford a "hockey only" ice facility? Because that's what you have to have if team is going to practice there and play there, whenever they want to/need to. Most schools with an arena either have a multipurpose facility (hockey, basketball, volleyball, concerts, commencements, etc.) or they play in some municipal facility used for the very same things. If it's multipurpose, it has to be a two rink facility (which is what UNO is nearing the completion of and is what Penn State built as well). You can't play or practice when the arena is set-up for basketball.

Almost NO school in the entire country is in "true" Title IX compliance (which includes the University of Nebraska who endows a fair number more men's athletic scholarships than it does women's athletic scholarships):

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/...-in-compliance

I'd like to see a list of schools that are women's athletic scholarship-heavy. I bet they are few and far between and I'd go so far as to say that no Power 5 conference school (read: schools with D-1 football) can make that claim without even looking to see if I am right. Not a one, I bet. Can anyone refute this? I reserve the right to be wrong but I bet I'm not.
      Now you know why SU has a women's team.

Comment

Field Hockey maybe? Not sure why they would sponsor a championship for a sport they don't have otherwise.
        They sure did. Not only did they hold this event (in conjunction with the City of Evanston), I attended it, as Nebraska played in it. It was all club teams! Big 10 club teams (well, mostly). I think the impetus for this was because the Big 10 hockey conference had already been announced, prior to this event, and somebody thought it would be "cute" to be able to say that this was the "first" one. And, that is how it was promoted, as well.

Yes, the Huskers play hockey, already:

http://www.huskerhockey.com/

As does Northwestern:

http://northwesternhockey.pointstrea...hwesternhockey

The event:

http://www.cityofevanston.org/news/2...-own-backyard/
        Last edited by Red Cows; 03-12-2015, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Michigan Tech, Lake Superior State, Ferris State, Western Michigan, Michigan, Michigan State, Bowling Green off the top of my head.

Northern Michigan is multi-purpose but the basketball team practicies in their own facility and the floor isn't placed until hours before game time. NMU used to also juggle Olympic Speed Skating with Hockey and Basketball.

I believe rinks like Agganis and Alfond out East are similar to NMU in that they are ice arenas first, and basketball secondary with basketball practicing elsewhere.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

They sure did. Not only did they hold this event (in conjunction with the City of Evanston), I attended it, as Nebraska played in it. It was all club teams! Big 10 club teams (well, mostly). I think the impetus for this was because the Big 10 hockey conference had already been announced, prior to this event, and somebody thought it would be "cute" to be able to say that this was the "first" one. And, that is how it was promoted, as well.

Yes, the Huskers play hockey, already:

http://www.huskerhockey.com/

As does Northwestern:

http://northwesternhockey.pointstrea...hwesternhockey

The event:

http://www.cityofevanston.org/news/2...-own-backyard/
            Thank you! I didn't realize that the club teams did that tournament. I did recall that most (or all) the Big10 schools have club hockey.

I just don't see the ACHA as equal to NCAA hockey. Sure there may be talent at the ACHA Division 1 level, but I think of them as below Div 3 NCAA sports.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Michigan Tech, Lake Superior State, Ferris State, Western Michigan, Michigan, Michigan State, Bowling Green off the top of my head.

Northern Michigan is multi-purpose but the basketball team practicies in their own facility and the floor isn't placed until hours before game time. NMU used to also juggle Olympic Speed Skating with Hockey and Basketball.

I believe rinks like Agganis and Alfond out East are similar to NMU in that they are ice arenas first, and basketball secondary with basketball practicing elsewhere.
              Houston Field House used to be multi-purpose, but it now pretty much exclusive to hockey. There will be a concert there every now and then (not as much as there used to be; heck Mike Tyson fought there once), but the primary purpose is hockey for the men's, women's, and club teams.

Comment

OK, I am disappointed that this thread is not about unexpected news from Penn and/or Columbia.

Comment

Alfond is now hockey only. The basketball teams moved off campus (and never practiced in the Alfond). There are occasional high school and youth games at Alfond, but the only true tenants are Black Bear MIH and WIH.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    Alfond is now hockey only.
                    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Houston Field House used to be multi-purpose, but it now pretty much exclusive to hockey.
                    Hockey only facilities. Not as rare as commonly thought.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

RIT's new arena is hockey only (so far). We also still operate the old rink for clubs and high school games.
                      RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Houston Field House used to be multi-purpose, but it now pretty much exclusive to hockey. There will be a concert there every now and then (not as much as there used to be; heck Mike Tyson fought there once), but the primary purpose is hockey for the men's, women's, and club teams.
                        He fought there twice. Here is one of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2LLWrlZN5s, and here is the other https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDuV_ABp78.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          Alfond is now hockey only. The basketball teams moved off campus (and never practiced in the Alfond).
                          There is some possibility that will be the case at UNO, at least, initially.

The school has supposedly yet to actually "divorce" itself from Ralston Arena (a new arena owned by the City of Ralston, an Omaha suburb where the USHL's Omaha Lancers play, which is well removed from their campus) where they now play basketball because, even though they are publicly saying they are going to move basketball there, rumor has it that there are big concerns about the cost of switching the arena back and forth all the time and that there is some question about how much time it will also take to accomplish the switch, every time it needs to be done.

I have had a couple people tell me that they might not move basketball to the new arena the first season because of these concerns. I have no idea what the veracity of this is. Its just a rumor that keeps coming up around here.

Comment

Mookie's waist is expanding
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

If ASU joins the Big Ten I will be sorely disappointed, but not surprised.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

perhaps one day northeastern will add hockey and they can join the big6
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X