Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Update: heavy equipment is now drilling holes, presumably for foundation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Whitey Bulger is accounted for?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Whitey Bulger is accounted for?
        "Ya ne Ya, loshad ne moya."

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          If UNH can spend 1 million dollars from a retired librarian to put up a scoreboard at their football stadium while giving the finger to NH High School students, surely Bentley can setup a construction web cam and relieve you of this task!
          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
            If UNH can spend 1 million dollars from a retired librarian to put up a scoreboard at their football stadium while giving the finger to NH High School students, surely Bentley can setup a construction web cam and relieve you of this task!
            Great idea, 777. But, my guess is that the construction company would balk on the surveillance.

Comment

New video rendering is up.

http://www.bentley.edu/about/arena
              Bentley University Hockey
              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post

Note the Top Shelf sign above the student section!

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                  Well hey, better than the $2 million Merrimack spent on a crosswalk recently.

Comment

It reminds me of the Whittemore Center with all that glass in the main rink area. UNH ended up blocking the glass with padding that appears to be left up at all times to prevent the sunlight from heating up the arena and ice. I see Bentley having the same issues unless they add blinds or shades that can be lowered to block the sunlight most of the time. Better to include sun shades as part of the design instead of trying to do something afterwards.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      It reminds me of the Whittemore Center with all that glass in the main rink area. UNH ended up blocking the glass with padding that appears to be left up at all times to prevent the sunlight from heating up the arena and ice. I see Bentley having the same issues unless they add blinds or shades that can be lowered to block the sunlight most of the time. Better to include sun shades as part of the design instead of trying to do something afterwards.

Sean
                      Great question/point, Sean. I wonder if there is some new type of glass available that allows in light without trapping heat? Sort of the reverse of light-reflecting double-paned glass to trap heat inside a building. I will ask around and see what I can learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                        Here is what I got from people in the know.

“The majority of glass is in the two story lobby area. There are sunshades on all of the glass (hard to see in the rendering). There is glass in the main arena. The large area of glass that goes along the length of the arena is on the North side facing Beaver [Street]. The orientation of the building will keep the sun from coming in directly to the seating area and the ice. [The glass] will give "life" to the building at night along Beaver Street and some daylighting during the day.”

“We also have motorized blinds on all the large glass windows. In addition to the north facing clerestory, the smaller clerestories on the east and west have translucent glazing. The lighting consultant ran daylight simulations to ensure we wouldn't ever have direct sunlight on the ice.”

Comment

The official published seating capacity will be 1,917. 1917. Like it. An additional 500 S.R.O. will bring capacity to 2417.
                          Bentley University Hockey
                          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

a little disappointing that capacity isn't bigger (even say, pushing 3K) but that does look like a phenomenal space
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Still no videocam, but lots of piles of dirt in various places behind the fence; suspect that things are moving along on schedule.

Comment

Not much seems to have been happening the past two months, but maybe things will pick up soon?

Comment

Working...
                                X