Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
    Lawler (Merrimack) and Schneider (Providence) both only seat about 3,000 so Bentley is not far off. I wouldn't rule HEA out, despite the size it sounds like it will have top-notch facilities for the teams. Maybe the design isn't final and they can push it up to 2,500 seating plus standing and get into the 3,000 total capacity range.

One note, cool building from the design sketches but there seems to be a lot of glass for an ice arena. Even the inside sketch shows a wall of windows above the far stands.
    I don't think the 2,000 includes standing room, which from what I've seen in prelim designs should add a lot more capacity. Also, there's going to be a large student section of bleachers which they could be underestimating the seating room on. I think for the size of the school the rink size should be perfect, being just packed enough night in and night out to create an incredible college hockey atmosphere.

Comment

Re: Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
      Lawler (Merrimack) and Schneider (Providence) both only seat about 3,000 so Bentley is not far off. I wouldn't rule HEA out, despite the size it sounds like it will have top-notch facilities for the teams. Maybe the design isn't final and they can push it up to 2,500 seating plus standing and get into the 3,000 total capacity range.

One note, cool building from the design sketches but there seems to be a lot of glass for an ice arena. Even the inside sketch shows a wall of windows above the far stands.
      Merrimack and Providence fall well below the 4,000 minimum required by Hockey East but were allowed to grandfather into that rule by taking steps everywhere, namely in full renovations that vastly improved facilities. UConn's home rink on campus seats well below that, but they may reexamine expanding Freitas given their success in Hartford so far.
      Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
        Merrimack and Providence fall well below the 4,000 minimum required by Hockey East but were allowed to grandfather into that rule by taking steps everywhere, namely in full renovations that vastly improved facilities. UConn's home rink on campus seats well below that, but they may reexamine expanding Freitas given their success in Hartford so far.
        I wouldn't be shocked if the seat minimum disappears. Some of the schools that used to sell out their big arenas (Maine, UNH in particular) don't come close to filling them.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          I wouldn't be shocked if the seat minimum disappears. Some of the schools that used to sell out their big arenas (Maine, UNH in particular) don't come close to filling them.
          Perhaps an indictment of Hockey East's leadership..

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
            Actually, I would be shocked if seats are added at Bentley. However, once Bentley has their on-campus rink, only Sacred Heart from Atlantic Hockey will lack a rink essentially on campus, as AIC will be playing their games beginning this fall in the 8000+ seat Mass Mutual Center, less than a mile from their campus. But, what is the over/under on home attendance for the Yellow Jackets this coming season?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Actually, I would be shocked if seats are added at Bentley. However, once Bentley has their on-campus rink, only Sacred Heart from Atlantic Hockey will lack a rink essentially on campus, as AIC will be playing their games beginning this fall in the 8000+ seat Mass Mutual Center, less than a mile from their campus. But, what is the over/under on home attendance for the Yellow Jackets this coming season?
              Hopefully more than last year but more than 100 shouldn't be too hard

Comment

Originally posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
                I'd optimistically say they could break 1,000 for the Union game, but overall, maybe average in the 300's? I mean its tough when you consider that even if their entire student body (including grad students) showed up for a game, the arena would still be more than 2/3 empty hahaha.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                  I'd optimistically say they could break 1,000 for the Union game, but overall, maybe average in the 300's? I mean its tough when you consider that even if their entire student body (including grad students) showed up for a game, the arena would still be more than 2/3 empty hahaha.
                  The city of Springfield has a population of greater than 150,000, so the Yellow Jackets need to tap this market, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
                    They averaged 182 per home game last season but if they market it right, set the right price per ticket, they cold draw much more this season.

Winning doesn't hurt attendance either!
                    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Re: Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

AIC home attendance is 182?

What is the number for Bentley?

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                        AIC home attendance is 182?

What is the number for Bentley?
                        According to the attendance numbers on USCHO AIC's average last season was 217 per game. Here are the seasonal averages according to attendance figures on USCHO since 2001-02 for AIC:
                        2001-02 196
                        2002-03 174
                        2003-04 140
                        2004-05 193
                        2005-06 213
                        2006-07 208
                        2007-08 174
                        2008-09 207
                        2009-10 238
                        2010-11 173
                        2011-12 228
                        2012-13 138
                        2013-14 187
                        2014-15 233
                        2015-16 217
                        Overall average for 2001-16 was 195. The 2015-16 average was down 8.5% from their peak average of 238 in 2009-10, but up 11% from 2001-02 and 11.5% over the 2001-16 average.

Here are the seasonal averages according to attendance figures on USCHO since 2001-02 for Bentley:
                        2001-02 322
                        2002-03 238
                        2003-04 425
                        2004-05 237
                        2005-06 328
                        2006-07 389
                        2007-08 430
                        2008-09 427
                        2009-10 387
                        2010-11 310
                        2011-12 527
                        2012-13 530
                        2013-14 556
                        2014-15 463
                        2015-16 619
                        Overall average for 2001-16 was 420. The 2015-16 average of 619 is Bentley's peak average and is up 92% since 2001-02 and 47% over the 2001-16 average.

Sean
                        Last edited by Sean Pickett; 08-15-2016, 11:59 AM.
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Thanks for the Bentley data, Sean, which confirm my qualitative observations from the past 15 years. That said, the vast majority of Bentley's student fans show up only for the second period, perhaps to pick up a free t-shirt, slice of pizza, or whatever. But, there is a growing group of hardcore Bentley students, the Falcons Nest, which is loud, supportive, know hockey, and stay for the entire game. This loyal group of students was instrumental in pushing the admin to build a rink on campus, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Thanks for the Bentley data, Sean, which confirm my qualitative observations from the past 15 years. That said, the vast majority of Bentley's student fans show up only for the second period, perhaps to pick up a free t-shirt, slice of pizza, or whatever. But, there is a growing group of hardcore Bentley students, the Falcons Nest, which is loud, supportive, know hockey, and stay for the entire game. This loyal group of students was instrumental in pushing the admin to build a rink on campus, I think.
                            The Top Shelf, not the Falcons Nest ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                              The Top Shelf, not the Falcons Nest ;-)
                              Ooops, sorry about that. Mea culpa. Began as the Falcons' Nest a few years ago before it became The Top Shelf.

Comment

Tennis courts bulldozed this week to make way for new arena.

Comment

Working...
                                X