Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Unless, of course, understandings that the rest of us aren't privy to were reached with various powers that be.
    I'm hoping that is the case. Because as we are all pointing out... the number is small. I think it's the right size for the program right now, but perhaps not down the road if the program grows as we hope it will. Maybe assurances of future expansion were offered to those powers? In my conversations with them, I find it very hard to believe that Bentley would have shot them in the skate like this. They were confident in their answers and seemed like they knew exactly what they were doing.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
      In discussion with major decision makers, they were well aware of the capacity of the arena. When asked point blank if a move to ECAC/HE was considered in capacity, they confirmed that it was a part of the process.

That was 6 months ago, so; either that plan was scrapped or they know what they are doing and are confident this rink will be enough for a new conference. I know a conference change is of the highest priority for Bentley, so I'm betting on the latter. That being said, 2000 does seem small for HE. Stay tuned I guess......
      The new events center was presented to the community in April as having 2500 seats for hockey, so I was surprised to see the 2000 seats number in this announcement.

Comment

I'm hoping that is the case. Because as we are all pointing out... the number is small. I think it's the right size for the program right now, but perhaps not down the road if the program grows as we hope it will. Maybe assurances of future expansion were offered to those powers? In my conversations with them, I find it very hard to believe that Bentley would have shot them in the skate like this. They were confident in their answers and seemed like they knew exactly what they were doing.
        The facility is not being engineered specifically to accommodate future expansion. That's not to say that it can't happen, but it wasn't folded into the architecture and engineering.
        Bentley University Hockey
        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

In discussion with major decision makers, they were well aware of the capacity of the arena. When asked point blank if a move to ECAC/HE was considered in capacity, they confirmed that it was a part of the process.

That was 6 months ago, so; either that plan was scrapped or they know what they are doing and are confident this rink will be enough for a new conference. I know a conference change is of the highest priority for Bentley, so I'm betting on the latter. That being said, 2000 does seem small for HE. Stay tuned I guess......
          With the undergrad enrollment being around 4,000 and the program's fan base still growing, 2,000 seems like the right number, for now. I think if there were 2,500 seats or so, there would be a number of empty seats in the early going. But who knows if there 2,000 number is set in stone.

As far as a switch to Hockey East or ECAC, I would think a brand new building, so close to Boston and a strong committment to the program, i.e. 18 scholarships, would be attractive enough to make up for the small capacity

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBomb View Post
            With the undergrad enrollment being around 4,000 and the program's fan base still growing, 2,000 seems like the right number, for now. I think if there were 2,500 seats or so, there would be a number of empty seats in the early going. But who knows if there 2,000 number is set in stone.

As far as a switch to Hockey East or ECAC, I would think a brand new building, so close to Boston and a strong committment to the program, i.e. 18 scholarships, would be attractive enough to make up for the small capacity
            'Tis better to have a smaller rink with a higher attendance percentage than to have a cavernous arena that seems to be empty most of the time. Crowd atmosphere, concessions and restroom efficiency, bragging rights over average attendance percentage, etc.

Have you been to an HEA playoffs game at BC lately? Nobody else has, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
              'Tis better to have a smaller rink with a higher attendance percentage than to have a cavernous arena that seems to be empty most of the time. Crowd atmosphere, concessions and restroom efficiency, bragging rights over average attendance percentage, etc.
              Originally posted by AdamBomb View Post
              With the undergrad enrollment being around 4,000 and the program's fan base still growing, 2,000 seems like the right number, for now. I think if there were 2,500 seats or so, there would be a number of empty seats in the early going.
              I think this is exactly what Bentley is going for. Games at the current rink (granted it's a dump and 20 minutes away) are always under the 1000 mark. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume a big attendance jump will occur when the rink is a 5 minute walk instead of a 20 minute drive AND it is a state of the art facility instead of a below average youth rink... that being said, you don't want to bite off more than you can chew.

I like the attendance size and as others have pointed out, I think the pros this facility offers will outweigh any capacity concerns a potential new conference may have.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

All good comments. I think that the real question early on was whether the events center (aka rink) would be large enough to hold graduation exercises, but that was pretty much dismissed, I think, as even 3500 seats would be too few based on the current number of guests allowed each student. But, any number of seats between 2000 and 2500 for hockey might be better suited for the ECAC (Hobey seats 2100, RPI seats over 5200, but most are under 3000), rather than the HEA (Lawlor seats about 2500; Conte, XL, and Mullins seat over 7500; but most are in the 4000-6000 range); and of course 2000 seats will be fine for the AHC (RIT seats 4300, but most of the rest are between 1000 and 2700). I think that overall the goal should be for the AHC teams to become more competitive, win more OOC games, and get more than one auto-seed team into the NCAAs. And, for Bentley, the team needs to get back to the AHC tourney in Rochester, which is becoming a more and more distant memory.

Comment

I know a conference change is of the highest priority for Bentley
                  Putting the cart before the horse a bit, aren't they? Maybe they should aim for winning a trophy or two in their current conference before moving to one with even stronger opponents.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    Putting the cart before the horse a bit, aren't they? Maybe they should aim for winning a trophy or two in their current conference before moving to one with even stronger opponents.

Powers &8^]
                    Like UConn?

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                      Like UConn?
                      The whole New England state u thing was in play here, I think, along with the perceived need to balance the addition of Notre Dame, which is now leaving, leading to speculation that HEA will look for a replacement. But, HEA played for years with nine teams, so not sure why they would not simply stay at 11 after next year. That said, probably adding Holy Cross to HEA would make more sense than adding Bentley, as they could host home games at the DCC, as UConn does at the XL.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        The whole New England state u thing was in play here, I think, along with the perceived need to balance the addition of Notre Dame, which is now leaving, leading to speculation that HEA will look for a replacement. But, HEA played for years with nine teams, so not sure why they would not simply stay at 11 after next year. That said, probably adding Holy Cross to HEA would make more sense than adding Bentley, as they could host home games at the DCC, as UConn does at the XL.
                        That and they have a women's program which I think too many people are ignoring as a factor in who would get an invite to hockey east today.

Comment

Originally posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
                          That and they have a women's program which I think too many people are ignoring as a factor in who would get an invite to hockey east today.
                          Maybe. But, Crusaders women play Div 3 ice hockey. UConn women play Div 1, but Notre Dame women only play club hockey. I know that there is interest in a women's ice hockey team at Bentley, but given the much greater cost for ice hockey than for whatever women's sport would be given up, on top of the cost for the new arena, I would be surprised if Bentley committed to a second ice hockey team right away.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            Like UConn?
                            Okay, you got me there. Though in my defense, Connecticut at least won a MAAC championship.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Globe article:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...7MJ/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                2,000 seats sort of means no HEA in the future??
                                Lawler (Merrimack) and Schneider (Providence) both only seat about 3,000 so Bentley is not far off. I wouldn't rule HEA out, despite the size it sounds like it will have top-notch facilities for the teams. Maybe the design isn't final and they can push it up to 2,500 seating plus standing and get into the 3,000 total capacity range.

One note, cool building from the design sketches but there seems to be a lot of glass for an ice arena. Even the inside sketch shows a wall of windows above the far stands.

Comment

Working...
                                X