Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Isn't there a tradition about not playing a conference opponent when opening a new rink?

Technically I doubt the scheduling agreement between the schools had any language about the BUs / Michigans etc owing a return visit. For better or worse that's usually how it goes when a smaller conference team schedules a larger conference one. That doesn't mean a team like that wouldn't come to take part in opening night festivities.
    I am sure that you are right. But, BU certainly has an old score to settle, assuming that we do not get back to Agganis over the next three years. I was just joking about Red bringing his Wolverines back east to play Bentley, but that was a blast in Ann Arbor three years ago last fall watching Alex Grieve get his first collegiate goal putting Bentley up 1-0, which held up until 5 minutes left in game 1.

Comment

Re: Bentley Begins Process to Build On-Campus Rink

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      Isn't there a tradition about not playing a conference opponent when opening a new rink?
      I don't know that it's a tradition; I think it's just that early-season games (when one tends to open a new rink) are usually non-conference.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Getting WAY ahead of ourselves, but...

Opening night game is crucial. A name brand university draws attention and buzz. Not to slight anyone, but if it were instead St. Cloud, UNO, or MTU, hockey fans would appreciate those opponents, but the casual fan won't be as inspired.

I wonder if another Boston school would partner in bringing out two teams from B1G. Michigan on Friday night and Wisconsin on Saturday, swapping opponents with say BC each night. I would think those schools would at least consider such a weekend, if the details were favorable.
        Bentley University Hockey
        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
          I wonder if another Boston school would partner in bringing out two teams from B1G. Michigan on Friday night and Wisconsin on Saturday, swapping opponents with say BC each night. I would think those schools would at least consider such a weekend, if the details were favorable.
          I think it would be a MAJOR stretch to get one BIG team out, let alone two. I think RIT was lucky to get Michigan out to Rochester - and I don't think they would have gone to the GPC even with it's capacity. A name like a Cornell or Yale.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Getting WAY ahead of ourselves, but...

Opening night game is crucial. A name brand university draws attention and buzz. Not to slight anyone, but if it were instead St. Cloud, UNO, or MTU, hockey fans would appreciate those opponents, but the casual fan won't be as inspired.

I'm not in the know but I think it would be more realistic to get a "big" hockey east or ECAC team to take the bus ride to Waltham. Personally I think it would be great if BU were to take part in opening night. After last year though, I'm not sure we are signing up for that.

Comment

Regardless of who it is, it will be nice to finally have some OOC games played at home. I think we've had one series at home (Clarkson) in the program's history. As far as opponents for the game? I think for opening night, getting a local New England school with some name recognition to the typical non-hockey fan is the best way to go. Looking at Harvard, The UMass', BU, UNH, BC or Northeastern. It's going to be a special night regardless. Outside of opening night? Maybe the annual game at Harvard become's a home and home series? Or a year by year alternating series? I know UMass Lowell was supposed to play a game at the JAR from a few years ago and I'm not sure what happened there. I'm just glad it's finally happening. Something to soften the blow of last night.

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

It is looking more and more like an arena will be a specific line item for the upcoming Centennial capital campaign. The onus will then shift to alumni and major donors to follow through with donations to make the campaign a success. While being a specific goal of the campaign, I would not categorize an arena as the highest of priorities if donors do not come through.

Comment

Thanks for reviving this thread, schiegs. I think that plans for the on-campus rink will move forward regardless of the capital campaign's outcome, as those usually are multi-year affairs, I think. My understanding is that the donations for construction were not the problem, but rather the hurdle was Bentley's commitment to the long-term maintenance costs. With the building now designated as a multi-purpose events center, perhaps part of that constraint has been mitigated?

And, we need to follow up on TTS's post from back in March, as now we know that there will be not just one OOC game at the JAR this season, but two (NU and RPI).

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Thanks for reviving this thread, schiegs. I think that plans for the on-campus rink will move forward regardless of the capital campaign's outcome, as those usually are multi-year affairs, I think. My understanding is that the donations for construction were not the problem, but rather the hurdle was Bentley's commitment to the long-term maintenance costs. With the building now designated as a multi-purpose events center, perhaps part of that constraint has been mitigated?

And, we need to follow up on TTS's post from back in March, as now we know that there will be not just one OOC game at the JAR this season, but two (NU and RPI).
                    Three....Merrimack.

Comment

Three....Merrimack.
                      Oh, yeah, thanks, schiegs. "Not just one, not just two, not just three...."

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Just learned this morning that a recently completed external accreditation review identified the need for an events center on campus with a seating capacity greater than 450 (that is the capacity of the largest lecture hall at Bentley).

Comment

Lifted from the newest Bentley thread, posted by The Top Shelf;

The Bentley student newspaper, The Vanguard has some good details on the proposed new arena, including renderings.

https://issuu.com/bentleyvanguardonl...full_newspaper
                          Last edited by schiegs; 04-12-2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Lifted from the newest Bentley thread, posted by The Top Shelf;

The Bentley student newspaper, The Vanguard has some good details on the proposed new arena, including renderings.

https://issuu.com/bentleyvanguardonl...full_newspaper
                            Wow, that document viewer is hard to use on a laptop.

Comment

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/c...w_hockey_arena

An update from the Herald

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
                                I heard though the grapevine at Fenway Sox game on Tuesday night that the town of Waltham's main concern when presented the ice arena plans was traffic and parking, so perhaps the 50-year flood plain is no longer a problem, given a footprint where the tennis courts are now located adjacent to Beaver Street. There is a multi-deck parking garage within 100 meters of the tennis courts, but I am not sure whether another level could be added to the deck, if necessary. My understanding is that the Bentley BOT meets later this month, when my guess is the arena will be discussed yet again.

Comment

Working...
                                X