NCAA Quarterfinal: RIT @ Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Quarterfinal: RIT @ Minnesota

Didn't the 2nd period start with 4:45 left on the penalty or something like that? But there was no penalty at the end of the first period. Isn't they right?

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      Looking forward to 3 great games next weekend.
      Let's hope it turns out that way. Was looking forward to 4 good ones today and they were all pretty much a waste of time although the BU-UW game started with some promise. I guess the positive take away is, at least with respect to today's play, that the vastly superior teams advanced...no fluky results, so, I guess that theoretically increases the odds for a few good games next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        Didn't the 2nd period start with 4:45 left on the penalty or something like that? But there was no penalty at the end of the first period. Isn't they right?
        No, it started with 5 minutes on the penalty. There was a snafu with the clocks, because the penalty clock fell three seconds behind the game clock, so with 14:58 to play in the period there was still one second showing on the penalty. So the went ahead and freed Nina Rodgers. Given that she was also sitting in the box, for someone else's penalty as usual, when McMillen came out early instead of her up in Grand Forks, she must have some kind of aura that interferes with proper adjudication.

Comment

Congrats to the RIT fan base. A very nice turn out, lots of fans, loud and proud.

Good luck next year.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Lorence's butt ending penalty is in the stats at 20:00, so the power play would've started when the second period started. She must have stuck somebody at the end of the first period.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
              Lorence's butt ending penalty is in the stats at 20:00, so the power play would've started when the second period started. She must have stuck somebody at the end of the first period.
              Yes, the penalty was assessed during intermission. The issue is what was showing on the scoreboard at various points. The penalty time started to count down when the teams came back on the ice and the intermission time was running down. Then there was still time left on the penalty clock with more than five minutes played. Scoreboard gremlins.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Nobody I talked to saw the Lorence play.
                Frist said he watched the tape and "saw something different" I'm assuming it was more BS going on & the ref assumed something happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  This was an ugly, chippy game from both sides. I'll disagree with ne7minder and say that I thought RIT did make some dirty plays, including #17 spearing Nina Rodgers at one point without a call.
                  I didn't see that. But I still feel like I have see more dangerou & dirty stuff from UND and UMD when they are losing & OSU this year. I was not the least bit surprised to read the RIT is the third most penalized team in the nation and the Gophers the least.

Comment

Nobody I talked to saw the Lorence play.
                    Frost said he watched the tape and "saw something different" I'm assuming it was more BS going on & the ref assumed something happened.
                    This is going to be pretty classic hearsay but I know someone who talked to someone and she said she didn't do it. She says she didn't do it, Frost (fixed your post, by the way) says he "saw something different" on the tape. It was Langley who called it, she summoned Ludwig and the ARs to the referee's crease after the first period was over and hatched up the penalty. I delayed my rush to the concessions (lol) to observe the confab and I thought that Ludwig in particular seemed oblivious to what she wanted to call. I don't fault the crew, among the four of them they finally agreed on something. There must have been something.

And then the Gophers played 40 minutes of the game without 2/3 of their second line. With both of her linemates gone Rachel Bona was pretty much cast adrift to find a place among teammates she has not been on the ice with at any other time this season. The Gophers used Wolfe a player who has been pretty much solely a D as an emergency 3rd center. This scrambled the D rotation some but everyone adapted and mostly they all did well. The team had to reconstitute the second and third lines in configurations not previously seen and to their credit it all worked well enough. For example, I was a bit surprised that out of nowhere based on her performance this season Garzone was suddenly dangling and trying to create offense. It all worked out OK, they dominated, they won.
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Re: NCAA Quarterfinal: RIT @ Minnesota

I was not the least bit surprised to read the RIT is the third most penalized team in the nation and the Gophers the least.
                      The Gophers weren't the least even before today's explosion.

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      With both of her linemates gone Rachel Bona was pretty much cast adrift to find a place among teammates she has not been on the ice with at any other time this season. The Gophers used Wolfe a player who has been pretty much solely a D as an emergency 3rd center.
                      Schipper was Bona's center until the Four Nation's break, and they finished last year together on the Davis line. Wolfe played forward through the trip to Ohio State and dabbled at center at various times until Piazza was moved to the middle. Still, she hadn't lined up there in months.

Comment

I didn't see that. But I still feel like I have see more dangerou & dirty stuff from UND and UMD when they are losing & OSU this year. I was not the least bit surprised to read the RIT is the third most penalized team in the nation and the Gophers the least.
                        The CHA is a physical and quite chippy league to play in. You have to kinda play this way with teams like Mercyhurst and Syracuse. Cuse was particularly a very chippy team to play this year. Some of the players on my team bother me with some of their actions but unfortunately our league allows a fair amount of crap in games. We are not the dirtiest team you will play but we would get under your teams skin and won't let you push us around to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
                          … and won't let you push us around to say the least.
                          I think RIT came out having heard all week about, "Minnesota this, and Minnesota that," and was determined to show they weren't going to be pushed around by big, bad Minnesota. So they brought a little extra zeal to every held puck around a goal early on. It seemed to climax when Brandt went hard to the goal, stopped on the whistle, and got punched in the face for her trouble. The refs evened up the penalties (shocker), but I think both the Gophers and the fans voiced enough displeasure that the Tigers realized if they instigated anything similar, they would be getting more minutes. After that, it settled down somewhat.

I think the RIT attitude early cost them a bit. When they had a chance to get back to even after Pannek got the boot, they committed an obvious penalty by running over Leveille. That'll get called every time, and it cost them two minutes of PP time when Minnesota was still trying to adjust to the loss of Pannek. That bought a little time, and the Tigers only got one PP goal and never could tie it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            I think RIT came out having heard all week about, "Minnesota this, and Minnesota that," and was determined to show they weren't going to be pushed around by big, bad Minnesota. So they brought a little extra zeal to every held puck around a goal early on. It seemed to climax when Brandt went hard to the goal, stopped on the whistle, and got punched in the face for her trouble. The refs evened up the penalties (shocker), but I think both the Gophers and the fans voiced enough displeasure that the Tigers realized if they instigated anything similar, they would be getting more minutes. After that, it settled down somewhat.

I think the RIT attitude early cost them a bit. When they had a chance to get back to even after Pannek got the boot, they committed an obvious penalty by running over Leveille. That'll get called every time, and it cost them two minutes of PP time when Minnesota was still trying to adjust to the loss of Pannek. That bought a little time, and the Tigers only got one PP goal and never could tie it up.
                            Oh definitely our team is going to see how games will be officiated since it is different for every league and correct themselves accordingly. All of us watching the game back here at RIT knew when we got a penalty we were going to pay and we did pretty much for the 1st and 2nd period which was what I got to watch before heading to our men's game.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              The Gophers weren't the least even before today's explosion.
                              Sorry, I read that in a story pre-game & didn't check it. Just out of curiosity, who was?

Comment

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...-quarterfinals
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X