Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston Hotel Rooms

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    And if you must take the train, find a room in a city near a station that gets you into North Station. Look in Woburn - there are a few hotels close to the Anderson RTC that have shuttles to the train station.
    This is also key. But again, check the commuter rail schedule...it doesn't run that late. Overtimes will be a problem.

At the very least, be close enough that you can get a cab back to your hotel for $30-40. The Newton Crowne Plaza is right off the Mass Pike, that would probably be a $25 cab ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      And if you must take the train, find a room in a city near a station that gets you into North Station. Look in Woburn - there are a few hotels close to the Anderson RTC that have shuttles to the train station.
      Now that we're getting closer to the Frozen Four I'm seeing some helpful info regarding hotels/travel around the Boston area. Like many others, I started looking into hotels last May/June and was surprised at the prices for rooms in Boston. I eventually decided to book at a hotel in Woburn, close to Anderson Station. My concern is (which has been mentioned already in this thread) is the time of the last train out of North Station heading back to Woburn. If either (or both) nights have a lengthy overtime game(s), I'll be facing a choice to either leave a game early (which I almost always refuse to do) or find myself having to look for a cab to get to my hotel.

I'll throw it out here for anyone who can give me some advice - how easy(??) would it be to get a cab after the last game Thursday or after the Saturday game during this type of event? I vividly recall wandering around the sports complex in Philadelphia last April with some other UMaine fans for about an hour, watching cab after cab race by us to pick up other groups. It was frustrating at the time - later we laughed and called it a "memorable experience in Philadelphia!"

Taking all this into consideration, we are driving from the Toronto area for the weekend - why not just drive down from Woburn? Everyone I've talked to who knows Boston and all I've read about driving/parking in Boston says the same thing (and I've never driven there before) - don't bother trying.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.
      Last edited by Hoover; 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
        Look in Providence and use the train
        Well, I know a whole bunch of poeple from Providence and even they get a hotel in Boston. It's part of the experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
          Now that we're getting closer to the Frozen Four I'm seeing some helpful info regarding hotels/travel around the Boston area. Like many others, I started looking into hotels last May/June and was surprised at the prices for rooms in Boston. I eventually decided to book at a hotel in Woburn, close to Anderson Station. My concern is (which has been mentioned already in this thread) is the time of the last train out of North Station heading back to Woburn. If either (or both) nights have a lengthy overtime game(s), I'll be facing a choice to either leave a game early (which I almost always refuse to do) or find myself having to look for a cab to get to my hotel.

I'll throw it out here for anyone who can give me some advice - how easy(??) would it be to get a cab after the last game Thursday or after the Saturday game during this type of event? I vividly recall wandering around the sports complex in Philadelphia last April with some other UMaine fans for about an hour, watching cab after cab race by us to pick up other groups. It was frustrating at the time - later we laughed and called it a "memorable experience in Philadelphia!"

Taking all this into consideration, we are driving from the Toronto area for the weekend - why not just drive down from Woburn? Everyone I've talked to who knows Boston and all I've read about driving/parking in Boston says the same thing (and I've never driven there before) - don't bother trying.

Any help or advise will be appreciated.
          I've never had a problem getting a cab after Bruins/Celtics games.

Comment

I'm seeing a bunch of hotels less than 2 miles from the Garden for under $200. That looks pretty reasonable.

Comment

FYI, those of you that are current or retired Navy or Coast Guard, you can book a room at this hotel in the North End. Rates can't be beat, but booze is prohibited.

http://marinershouse.org/inn.html
              Last edited by Happy Husky Victory!; 02-27-2015, 04:59 PM.
              Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Talk about stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. I'm sure you could probably save a few bucks staying outside the city, but you would spend alot of time riding the rails or the roads, not to mention the money you would still have to lay out for public transportation or car related costs.
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                  Talk about stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. I'm sure you could probably save a few bucks staying outside the city, but you would spend alot of time riding the rails or the roads, not to mention the money you would still have to lay out for public transportation or car related costs.
                  Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                    Exactly.
                    Have you priced hotels in downtown? Even with taxi fare it's cheaper to get hotel rooms out of town.

Comment

This is just my opinion but I've been to 2 FF in Boston . Once we stayed in Cambridge and the last time at the Long Wharf. In my opinion, it was worth the extra money to stay within walking distance My kids enjoyed watching the practices on Wednesday, and we went to the aquarium next door to the hotel on Friday Restaurants and lots of things to do close by. If we had stayed outside of Boston we would have spent the time and money going in every day anyway. Was it more expensive? Yes. But worth it. We're staying at the Long Wharf again this year
                      Last edited by hockeymom of 2; 02-28-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymom of 2 View Post
                        This is just my opinion but I've been to 2 FF in Boston . Once we stayed in Cambridge and the last time at the Long Wharf. In my opinion, it was worth the extra money to stay within walking distance My kids enjoyed watching the practices on Wednesday, and we went to the aquarium next door to the hotel on Friday Restaurants and lots of things to do close by. If we had stayed outside of Boston we would have spent the time and money going in every day anyway. Was it more expensive? Yes. But worth it. We're staying at the Long Wharf again this year
                        That's true. I travel alone so trains/buses are no big deal, but if you have kids those can get pricey quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post

This.

I couldn't imagine flying cross country to go to an event and staying a 45 minute train ride away (if you're lucky & the train is working) to save what $40 that you're going to lose in commuting expenses & time.
                          Last edited by claver2010; 03-01-2015, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Being from the area just west of Woburn I feel qualified to give some advice to those coming in from Woburn. Drive to the Sullivan Square T stop just off I-93 only 2 stops from North Station. You avoid the last mile traffic and hassle of parking near the game. Parking is much cheaper even adding in the subway costs for multiple people. Travel time by T is less than 10 minutes and takes you directly to the Garden. Friday and Saturday nights the T runs very late until about 2:30 in the morning. Thursday is only until about 1:00 but you are close enough for a short cab ride. Once out you just get back on I-93 for the short ride back to Woburn.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                              This.

I couldn't imagine flying cross country to go to an event and staying a 45 minute train ride away (if you're lucky & the train is working) to save what $40 that you're going to lose in commuting expenses & time.
                              It's just how people are. They never get the meal they really want at a restaurant because of the price yet their homes are filled with useless junk.

Comment

With regards to getting a cab to take you back to a hotel, if this is what you must do, I think it would be much easier to get one outside the Garden than it was in Philly. The Garden is in the city and there are numerous bars all within walking distance so there will be cabs all around. Or you could walk to a major hotel and pick up a cab there.

My thoughts on driving to Sullivan - Saturday it should be OK but Thursday is a regular work day and lots may be full. I commute on the Orange line to work every day and Sullivan is by far the most crowded station. With all the snow, there are fewer spots...could be dicey.

There are a few hotels close to Lechmere that would be a good idea. There's a Holiday Inn, a Hampton Inn and a new Fairfield Inn all within walking distance of the Lechmere T stop, and if the weather is nice, you actually could walk to the Garden. And it would be a pretty cheap cab ride to and from.

Comment

Working...
                                X