Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015-2016 Coaching Changes

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    At a certain point the AD has to take responsibility. But with the glorious season they had in football any issues they've been having with their hockey programs will be overlooked.
    Exactly! Gene Smith is the one who didn't renew John Markell and brought in Mark Osiecki, then he fired Osiecki and promoted assistant coach Steve Rohlik. Gene Smith is the one who didn't retain Jackie Barto and hired Nate Handrahan. Then, this week, he forced Handrahan to resign. Does anyone else see the common denominator here?

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      I agree with some of what you said, but you couldn't be more wrong on the resources statement. Have you been to the OSU Ice Rink lately? It's easily the worst facility in the WCHA, so I will have to just respectfully disagree with your contention that our women's hockey program has been provided with all the resources they needed to compete with the Minnesotas and Wisconsins of the world. Ever been to LaBahn? Ridder? Amsoil Arena? The Ralph? Attend a game at one of those arenas, then come back to Columbus and tell me Ohio State has the resources they need to compete. I just hope Gene Smith brings in someone who can salvage this recruiting class. It was arguably Nate's best class, and I am sure other coaches are on their phones right now trying to get them to de-commit.
      The 2015 through 2017 classes have a number of top recruits. Many invited to US and Canada U-18 teams. They wont have much problem finding a landing spot and if they leave it will set the program back for years.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        This is very unexpected news. Something unusual must have happened that caused this decision. Time will tell. I bet Shannon Miller never expected so many jobs to open up in the WCHA this year. Too bad she's killing her potential to be hired somewhere else with all this negative attention. You reap what you sow in life.
        Inappropriate behavior might've have done him in.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio
          I'm sure you meant well. But as far as I'm concerned, this is an inappropriate post. "Some mistakes made on his own," without any further explanation, is nothing more than innuendo. When reading a comment like that, the imagination tends to run wild.

If you know the story and are at liberty to tell it, tell it. If you hold a position that prevents you from telling the story, that's completely understandable. But in that case you need to be holding your fire, not teasing the audience.

Although I follow the OSU program closely, I am completely blindsided by this news. Naturally I'm starving for information. Or, maybe the truth is so horrible I should be grateful I don't know. When someone tosses out teasing little half-truths, this sort of conflicted reaction is almost inevitable -- and it makes the situation worse, not better.

Think I'm off the mark? Check out what Hockeysbest just posted.
          All good points. As a note, firings for inappropriate behavior on the part of a coach don't usually extend to the assistants and apparently the assistants were let go as well in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadaDude View Post
            The 2015 through 2017 classes have a number of top recruits. Many invited to US and Canada U-18 teams. They wont have much problem finding a landing spot and if they leave it will set the program back for years.
            Yep! I hope Gene Smith understands this when he makes these moves then replaces these coaches with lesser candidates (ie. see our men's program for a prime example of this). I really feel for our kids. The girls work hard and they're the ones who are going to have to deal with some rough seasons, unless Smith surprises us and actually brings in someone who can coach us to wins right away.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              All good points. As a note, firings for inappropriate behavior on the part of a coach don't usually extend to the assistants and apparently the assistants were let go as well in this case.
              I won't go into details on this board about the number of things that went on at OSU involving Coach Handrahan. I wish him the best in the future. I do believe the program will be better off in the long term without him and yes assistants were involved.
              As for the facilities for home games, yes you can argue that hurts OSU. But the training meals, equipment, training facilities and equipment all rank at the top of Division 1 hockey. The advantages of being an athlete at OSU clearly out number the short comings of the ice rink.

Comment

One of the assistants, Keith Maurice, was let go. The other two assistants, Carson Duggan, and volunteer assistant coach Dave Caruso, are still listed as being part of the team according to the OSU athletic website.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...ockey-mtt.html

This whole fiasco will likely be cloaked in secrecy like the Osiecki firing in 2013, which will not help matters.

Comment

Originally posted by mwactdir View Post
                  I won't go into details on this board about the number of things that went on at OSU involving Coach Handrahan. I wish him the best in the future. I do believe the program will be better off in the long term without him and yes assistants were involved.
                  As for the facilities for home games, yes you can argue that hurts OSU. But the training meals, equipment, training facilities and equipment all rank at the top of Division 1 hockey. The advantages of being an athlete at OSU clearly out number the short comings of the ice rink.
                  Since you seem to be an insider, based on some of your own comments here, what is the timetable for bringing in a new coach? Who are some of the prime candidates? I assume Gene Smith is launching a nationwide search as this needs to be a homerun hire if the program is going to "be better off in the long term" as you contest. Can this recruiting class, unquestionably the best we've seen in quite some time, be salvaged? I was going to ask a question about the facility, but I will let that one go for now. Truth be known, The Schott is hurting our men's program a lot worse than the Ice Rink is hurting the women's program.

Comment

Exactly! Gene Smith is the one who didn't renew John Markell and brought in Mark Osiecki, then he fired Osiecki and promoted assistant coach Steve Rohlik. Gene Smith is the one who didn't retain Jackie Barto and hired Nate Handrahan. Then, this week, he forced Handrahan to resign. Does anyone else see the common denominator here?
                    that OSU coaches get replaced because of underperformance

I don't know why your panties are in such a bunch, OSU has underperfromed, and at a school that expects to win, no mystery why the coach gets replaced

Comment

Originally posted by mwactdir View Post
                      They are on the upswing. Some good recruits coming in. They underperformed the past four years for a number of reasons, none of which were due to lack of resources or administration. This resignation was not caused by a player revolt or parents, but some mistakes that Coach Handrahan made on his own. This move needed to be done. OSU is a great university and destination for college hockey player's. They will continue to improve the program.
                      Ok, I'm listening. What are the mistakes Coach Handrahan made? And why was this move needed?
                      Last edited by Call It; 03-11-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

This story appeared in the Columbus Dispatch today.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/cont...signation.html

Comment

WOW. Holy smokes, a lot of information in that piece. Much denial at the end but overall pretty ****ing.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                            WOW. Holy smokes, a lot of information in that piece. Much denial at the end but overall pretty ****ing.
                            That's really unfortunate to read. Wonder if there were any issues at Robert Morris that could/should have served as a red flag?

Comment

How does this happen in this day and age? Wow - he is so done as a coach and I can't believe that Maurice or Duggan have much of a future either.

Comment

How does this happen in this day and age? Wow - he is so done as a coach and I can't believe that Maurice or Duggan have much of a future either.
                                Duggan is still listed on the website but not Maurice.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X