2015-2016 Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015-2016 Coaching Changes

The second one is on the books (Shannon Miller was #1 of course) - Amy Bourbeau is out at Brown. Nice person, very ethical by all accounts I've heard, but the success just wasn't there and they seem to be getting worse.

Add as you hear them.

Re: 2015-2016 Coaching Changes

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    The second one is on the books (Shannon Miller was #1 of course) - Amy Bourbeau is out at Brown. Nice person, very ethical by all accounts I've heard, but the success just wasn't there and they seem to be getting worse.

Add as you hear them.
    I'm slightly surprised she resigned after only 4 years but agree the progress wasn't there. Never thought she had a head coach's personality. Very nice person but probably should have remained a career assistant. Hope she'll find an assistant coaching job somewhere else. She's good for the game. She would be great as a prep school head coach. That would be a more family friendly fit for her.

Comment

The secooutone is on the books (Shannon Miller was #1 of course) - Amy Bourbeau is out at Brown. Nice person, very ethical by all accounts I've heard, but the success just wasn't there and they seem to be getting worse.

Add as you hear them.
      very impressed by her ethics. too bad it didn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        I'm slightly surprised she resigned after only 4 years but agree the progress wasn't there. Never thought she had a head coach's personality. Very nice person but probably should have remained a career assistant. Hope she'll find an assistant coaching job somewhere else. She's good for the game. She would be great as a prep school head coach. That would be a more family friendly fit for her.
        I don't know her but watching Brown, it's really hard to win without talent. And she had very little to work with. Whether that's on her or her assistants is anyone's guess. Claudia Asano is going through much the same at Union. Maybe it's an administration issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          I don't know her but watching Brown, it's really hard to win without talent. And she had very little to work with. Whether that's on her or her assistants is anyone's guess. Claudia Asano is going through much the same at Union. Maybe it's an administration issue?
          Both Bourbeau and Asano (especially Asano) were/are at their schools long enough to own the players (and the results of these players) on their teams. They hired the assistants. They own the results (or lack thereof).

Comment

Both Bourbeau and Asano (especially Asano) were/are at their schools long enough to own the players (and the results of these players) on their teams. They hired the assistants. They own the results (or lack thereof).
            I don't know anything about Brown women's hockey. It's a very good school so my assumption is that it would be attractive to recruits. Are they not competitive from a "financial aid" perspective as compared to other Ivies or do they have some other disadvantage? Or is it just poor recruiting and coaching?

Comment

I do think that four years is only long enough to get a glimpse of what future recruiting classes may be like. The first class belongs to the previous regime. By the time the next staff is in place, much of the second group of recruits that will arrive during their tenure has already been whittled down; they are at a huge disadvantage to other coaching staffs that have been in place longer. We saw with Greg Fargo at Colgate that there was a big uptick in the quality of his recruits starting with his third season. I don't know about Brown specifically or how Bourbeau did as far as a recruiter, but it isn't simple math where one can say that after four years the coach is responsible for all of the players in house.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                I don't know anything about Brown women's hockey. It's a very good school so my assumption is that it would be attractive to recruits. Are they not competitive from a "financial aid" perspective as compared to other Ivies or do they have some other disadvantage? Or is it just poor recruiting and coaching?
                Poor record, compounded by extremely stiff/unyielding entrance requirements, plus a plethora of scholarship programs mean a vertical climb when it comes recruiting A grade talent.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I do think that four years is only long enough to get a glimpse of what future recruiting classes may be like. The first class belongs to the previous regime. By the time the next staff is in place, much of the second group of recruits that will arrive during their tenure has already been whittled down; they are at a huge disadvantage to other coaching staffs that have been in place longer. We saw with Greg Fargo at Colgate that there was a big uptick in the quality of his recruits starting with his third season. I don't know about Brown specifically or how Bourbeau did as far as a recruiter, but it isn't simple math where one can say that after four years the coach is responsible for all of the players in house.
                  What the hell are you talking about? At both Elmira and Colgate, Fargo's best years were with players he inherited and then got progressively worse with his own recruits. Although he had a good last regular season at Elmira lost in the first round of ECAC playoffs his last two years to Utica and Potsdam, both inferior teams. Now in third year at Colgate and record continues to get worse! Sorry, don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
                    What the hell are you talking about?…Now in third year at Colgate and record continues to get worse! Sorry, don't get it.
                    There are some very good players in Colgate's freshman class this year. I was talking about recruiting, not player development.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      There are some very good players in Colgate's freshman class this year. I was talking about recruiting, not player development.
                      Fair enough ARM, however if you can't develop the players you recruit it doesn't bode well for the program in the long run.

Comment

Fair enough ARM, however if you can't develop the players you recruit it doesn't bode well for the program in the long run.
                        Sure, but if you follow the thread of the discussion, the point dealt with the general case of a new coach recruiting players, not Fargo or Colgate in particular.

Comment

Then let's add RPI to this list….manages to recruit good players (despite the technical school reputation and Troy, NY location!), but absolutely NOOOO development of the player. The girls' strongest season is typically their freshman year and, year after year, their end of season record is horrible which is another example of other teams improving as the season goes on, but not RPI. Coaches have to coach, develop, motivate, inspire, uplift - none of these qualities are evident within the RPI coaching ranks.

Comment

Rensselaer, Colgate, Union, Brown, MN State, Providence, Vermont, UMD, RIT

I would think the coaches from these programs are on short leash, clearly the ones in Bold have been cut loose.
                            Last edited by Call It; 03-02-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks to Call_It for at least making a list. Not a lot of commentary or bashing. Just add names to the list happen you hear about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X